SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

7-year-old girl room interior

Discussion started on

I'm drawing the inside of a 7-year-old girl's room. She likes to ride bikes and takes good care of her hair. She has a pet guinea pig and a boy best friend.

Is she too young for boy band posters on her wall? Too old for Lisa Frank? What kind of posters or decor would a 7-year-old have?
#1 - August 21, 2012, 06:44 PM
If you don't try, you have no chance at all. - Carole King
Every day's a good day when you paint. - Bob Ross

www.tatumhartillustrations.com

My almost 7 year old doesn't know boy bands, but if she had an older sister who was into them I'm sure she would. She likes to be tweenie. ;)
She's into hula - so we have a Hawaiian theme in her room. But she also loves Phineas and Ferb, and I think other 7 year olds would be into the Disney line up...
Your girl might have a pic of herself holding her guinea pig in a frame, or a pic of her and her friend at the beach, or on a bike ride. She might have friendship bracelets lying around, and a quilt on the bed her mom made her in fun textures. She might have Stompeez slippers on the ground and a jump rope. She might have an American Girl Doll sitting at her dresser with stuff to do her hair. She might have a bookshelf full of books and trinkets she got at school or won at arcades...

Hope that helps!
#2 - August 21, 2012, 07:04 PM
Robin

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
My 7 yo DD (my third child, second of three daughters) currently has on her walls a lot of her own artwork, notes or drawings by her friends, random photos she's snagged from me (I don't print many; there are a lot of holiday cards pilfered around here). One wall still has a baby quilt made by a friend; there are a couple of very old embroidered hangings that were my grandmothers that were passed on. No commercial, purchased artwork -- except for the ELOISE poster (yes, *that* Eloise) which my mom had framed for DD...who is *my* Eloise. She shares a room with 6 yo sister (#4, third daughter), who also has similar stuff up -- except her framed poster thing is a "Jojo's Circus" sheet that has info about the day she was born (Jojo's Circus because #4 is also a Jojo in nickname).

Lots of stuffies, Barbies and other dolls, trinkets and a variety of toys. They save and cherish everything -- from the Valentines they got in kindergarten to the trophy for a book club and everything in between. I think you have a lot of leeway! But probably too young for boy bands, generally speaking (mine know well of them thanks to oldest, DD #1, who is soon to be 11). Yes, to Robin's observation of Disney personalities (due to older sister, my little two are totally, like, into all the tween stuff. Yowza.)

Oh, another thing -- they sometimes have been known to draw on walls and furniture with markers. Not quite decor, but, there you go. Truth is, like I said, they covet things at this age, no rhyme or reason. Make a mask at weekly library story time? HANG IT UP! Color a picture at the dentist's office? HANG IT UP! Get a thank you card from a classmate for birthday gift? HANG IT UP! A fortune from the Chinese restaurant? HANG IT UP!

My kids don't have "decor" as much as they have....well, their own interpretation of what I thought might be decor when we were first starting out!

Lots of room for interpretation, as far as your vision goes, I think!
#3 - August 21, 2012, 07:09 PM

Yes, yes, yes to the treasuring and saving everything! I regularly go in and abscond with things...
#4 - August 21, 2012, 07:13 PM
Robin

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
LOL, one of my to-do list items when kids go back to school -- "Surreptitiously remove all bits of paper and ridiculousness from children's rooms." When I do this, they never notice!  :lol2
#5 - August 21, 2012, 07:15 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
My 7-year-old daughter shares a room with her little sister. She's not terribly sophisticated, despite the fact that she now wears adult-size shoes. It's the same decor as when she was four -- pink, a big dollhouse, doll furnture, bunk beds, all her class photos framed going back to babyhood, lots of stuffed toys, books, dressup clothes. Framed prints of animals. Very messy. Princess wall decals randomly applied to the walls, as well as her own art and displays she's made of dried flowers and leaves. She would have a lot of rocks and shells displayed except those are in our dining room windowsill with labels she's made for them (uh, yeah).
#6 - August 21, 2012, 07:20 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

JennaWren,
I'm right there with you, that's my major plan to spend the whole day decluttering all the junk he (my 6 year old) has dragged into MY room.  Every time I try to remove something while he's home, he's like oh, no, I need that.  Well you don't need it in MY room.  What's wrong with keeping it in your own room. :chesirecat
#7 - August 21, 2012, 09:37 PM

Wow!  Great ideas.  Thank you all so much!
#8 - August 21, 2012, 10:11 PM
If you don't try, you have no chance at all. - Carole King
Every day's a good day when you paint. - Bob Ross

www.tatumhartillustrations.com

I'm in possession of a girl about this age...She loves to hang maps in her room and draw travel routes on them.
#9 - August 22, 2012, 06:28 AM
SWAY, 2012 from Disney-Hyperion
CIRCA NOW, 2014 from Disney-Hyperion
http://www.ambermcreeturner.com
https://www.facebook.com/SwayByAmberMcReeTurner

Baby animals are always popular... posters of kitties, puppies, horses, etc.
#10 - August 22, 2012, 10:10 AM

Oh, good one Christine.  So true for young girls.
#11 - August 23, 2012, 01:03 PM

mclicious
Poster Plus
You mean your kids don't all have bedrooms furnished with stuff from here? http://bit.ly/PAJLVS

haha. When I was seven, I adored Lisa Frank, American Girl, Polly Pockets, etc. My room was overflowing with miniatures, both those I bought and those I made (my mom didn't want to buy all the expensive AG accessories, so I made bookshelves and desks and things out of shoeboxes). While I didn't do this, I know a lot of kids buy posters for their rooms at the Scholastic Book Fairs at their school, which means animals, cars, sports, and cartoons (My Little Pony, etc). I also had a baby quilt on my wall until I was 17 or so. My parents weren't so into buying new decor, but I'd say tweens' rooms are characterized by being full of both baby stuff and growing-up stuff at the same time.
#12 - August 23, 2012, 03:56 PM

Members: