SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Need help with finding Waterfalls Research information for NF magazine article

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I am researching waterfalls for a NF magazine story. I love waterfalls and I thought they would make a great magazine article.

My problem is- my initial article was going to be based upon how geometry is used to classify waterfalls but I have discovered that there are multiple theories on that AND some say there are 6 types, others 10 types, and others 12 types(you get the picture).

My question is(well one of them) should I scrap the geometry part and go with something that has solid proof?

Does anyone know of any books or websites that has the geometry being used to classify waterfalls in it?

Thanks for any help. I really want to do an article on this topic but I may just have to restructure my directions. If so, that is okay too. I just thought that the geometry and waterfall link was interesting.

Sharon
#1 - August 24, 2012, 02:07 PM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I suppose it may depend on your target age, but heck, I'd want to read a geometry related story - and the fact that there are multiple theories makes it more interesting, not less. (Though admittedly a little more challenging, but I still think you could do it, at least in theory.)

Where did you learn about it in the first place? That's probably your best source for primary sources. Or call a hydrologist or mathematician at a  university (forestry schools might be a good place to start).
#2 - August 24, 2012, 09:01 PM
The Farwalker Trilogy
The Humming of Numbers
Reality Leak

www.jonisensel.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Thanks Joni! I am glad to see that the topic is interesting to adults as well, because if I can't get the language child appropriate it just may become an adult article :)

Thanks for the advice on contacting a hydrologist! I am going to jump right on that.

As far as where did I learn about it. I was looking at waterfalls and trying to decide WHAT about them to write on when I came across this site:
http://www.world-of-waterfalls.com/featured-articles-waterfalls-101-what-types-of-waterfalls-are-there.html

I thought it was interesting. I am a student of ICL and my assignment was to do an outline of a NF and I did it on this and my instructor that it was a great idea...and so it begins...at least I hope :)

Thanks again
Sharon
#3 - August 25, 2012, 03:44 PM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

Members: