SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Brainstorming Help

Discussion started on

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
What are some ways a seventh grade boy and seventh grade girl could be competitive with each other?

These two characters have an antagonistic relationship and I'm trying to write a new scene introducing one of them that establishes the competitive dynamic, but I'm struggling to break my brain free from old scenes I've written. The scene is set at their school, in the morning before first bell. If it makes a difference, they attend a San Francisco middle school.
#1 - August 26, 2012, 06:09 AM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

It's been awhile but..

running for class office
vying for first chair in band
wanting most visible role in school play (they wouldn't be after the same role, but one kid could expand a role into a bigger part?
drum line participation?
most books read trophy
doing well in a class which leads to a special privilege, like getting to go on a limited field trip
a job for Exchange City, where the kids spend a day in a fake town to learn about economics -- they all want to be mayor or own a business.
a spot in the talent show
science fair project
ability to plan a school activity like a dance, because it's a measure of power and control
spelling bee

that's what I can think of
#2 - August 26, 2012, 06:38 AM
Stephanie Theban aka Leeth

http://storiesreademwritem.blogspot.com

Are they in the same class? If they're not then you can have them each leading a team from their respective class to compete for a spot in their state’s debate competition, or my favorite, the state's Battle of the Books competition. Stephanie pretty much covered everything I can think of if they're in the same class.
#3 - August 26, 2012, 07:30 AM
http://www.samposey.com/
The Last Station Master, Feb. 2013

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Ooo, great suggestions. Thank you!

Hmm. . . science fair project might be a good one for me to work with. Does anyone know off hand some specific projects a seventh grader might do?
#4 - August 26, 2012, 10:57 AM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Members: