SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Sixth Grade Cheer Squad?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Wondering if sixth grade is too young for a school cheerleading squad?
Opinions?

Thx!
#1 - August 29, 2012, 11:10 AM

My high school students say "No - only rec league - you don't get to start cheering till 7th grade."
#2 - August 29, 2012, 11:14 AM
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
  • SCBWI PAL
Our elementary school had a cheer squad for a few years. They performed at a couple of Flag ceremonies (an every Friday event at our school). But it fizzled out. I think it fizzled because without a sport to cheer for, or competitions to work toward, they really didn't have a purpose and I think the kids lost interest. Other than competition squads which are independent from school, the high school is the only place for a cheer squad around here now.

But for the purposes of fiction - totally doable.
#3 - August 29, 2012, 11:15 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Thanks.  I also thought it was doable for fiction, but a few of my beta readers called me out on it.
#4 - August 29, 2012, 12:11 PM

My elementary school had a cheer squad for soccer and basketball.
#5 - August 29, 2012, 12:18 PM
SWAY, 2012 from Disney-Hyperion
CIRCA NOW, 2014 from Disney-Hyperion
http://www.ambermcreeturner.com
https://www.facebook.com/SwayByAmberMcReeTurner

Not in our area --  a lot of schools have eliminated things like cheer in grades lower than 9 to save money.
#6 - August 29, 2012, 03:28 PM

If 6th grade is middle school it makes even more sense to me.
It's totally believable, anyway, even if every school doesn't have one...
#7 - August 29, 2012, 03:29 PM
Robin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
  • SCBWI PAL
There are definitely rec league cheer squads for football and soccer for sixth graders if the school doesn't have one.
#8 - August 29, 2012, 05:26 PM
SILVER (Flux)
GOLD (Flux)
SPIES AND PREJUDICE (Egmont USA)

http://www.YAMuses.blogspot.com

Kris K

I think the existence of middle school cheer squads may be somewhat regional. I don't believe they're common in the Chicago-area where I live (I have a niece who's a high school cheerleader, but before then she did her cheering through a private program rather than her middle school), but I was doing research on schools in Oklahoma and recall coming across middle school cheer squads there.
#9 - August 29, 2012, 07:36 PM

We had a cheer squad in 6th grade. Our football/cheerleaders were combined with a neighboring school. I guess that's one way to save money. That was in the 80's but I think they still do it now.

A local church has a program called Upward Cheer, and they can start in younger elementary there. But they cheer for the church flag football league, not a school.
#10 - August 29, 2012, 10:15 PM
If you don't try, you have no chance at all. - Carole King
Every day's a good day when you paint. - Bob Ross

www.tatumhartillustrations.com

Members: