SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Advertise in a trade magazine

Discussion started on

evilrobot

Was thinking about advertising my illustration business in a trade magazine. Anyone else here try this before. Not sure where to start, which ones are the best, or about how much I should expect to pay. Also if you've done it before has it paid off for you. Did you get any work directly from it? :)
#1 - August 31, 2012, 01:21 PM

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
which trade magazines are you considering? Is there a resource that lists possibilities?
#2 - September 19, 2012, 04:42 PM

evilrobot

I'm not sure of anything when it comes to this. Was just looking for more ways to advertise thought maybe there was a trade magazine or a book that art directors looked at that I could purchase advertising space in. I've tried a couple of websites so far www.hireanillustrator.com seems to be giving me quite a bit of traffic to my site. But haven't gotten any work yet from it. www.freelanced.com/ was a waste of money nothing on there but really, really low paying jobs and people looking for free illustrations. Just wondering if there was anything that may have worked for someone else. Thanks :flame:
#3 - September 19, 2012, 10:56 PM

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
Bob, those sites are hit and miss for everybody. It depends on your work and who is visiting the site at that particular time. I am on hireanillustrator, childrensillustrators, and storybook illustrators. Each with varying degrees of success. The one that has paid for itself in spades is childrensillustrators. But I know folks who have made nothing on that site but make a lot of money on hireanillustrator. Go figure. So I would say that you should consider your budget, the number of other artists on the site and then go with the one that suits you best or gives you the most bang for your buck.  It really is a lot of trial and error. Don't forget to do your mailers and fliers and email campaigns as well. We have an article on our blog from Laura Wood about her process in sending mailers.

http://onceuponasketch.com/2012/09/guest-post-laura-wood-walks-us-through-creating-her-promo-pack/

:cheerleader :whitebunny :mouse
#4 - September 20, 2012, 08:25 AM

evilrobot

Thanks! Great article. I just sent out my first round of postcards but I really like how she put her package together think I'll give that a try. Also thanks for those other two websites. I'll give them look.
#5 - September 20, 2012, 09:07 AM

Members: