SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Book recommendations for advanced six year old reader

Discussion started on

aclaire1980

Do any of you have book recommendations for an advanced six year old reader? My son just read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and has now started the Chamber of Secrets. However, I am regretting my decision in letting him read them. Recently he has started staying up at night. He insists that he does not find the books scary. I am looking for some "big boy books" for him that are not scary and that do not have complex concepts. He likes both fiction and nonfiction. Any suggestions?
#1 - September 05, 2012, 09:55 PM

I'm not really sure what you mean about complex concepts... because my guess is if he liked HP but was a little scared, he probably likes the big quest books. Do you mean maybe not dealing with so much good and evil and stuff? Or do you want just a simpler book?
When my oldest DD was 6, she also read HP and similar books and I did have a hard time finding her age appropriate books that were also challenging. (Coraline was a mistake...)
Some similar series that my daughter liked at that age were the Percy Jackson books (but these may be scary for him also) and the Artemis Fowl books.
Some easier books, that aren't at all scary, are The Magic Treehouse books, but those might be too easy...
If he's interested in sports, you could try Mike Lupica's books.
He might like Dark Life (so called because it's underwater). I know my daughter liked that a lot - it's an Undersea Western - and it really isn't very scary.
Or the 39 Clues books.
I've heard lots of good things about Gordon Korman's books but haven't read them. I know other BB'ers can speak to those.
Aliens on Vacation by Clete Smith is really fun - not very scary.
Maybe more contemporary books would be fun, because they generally aren't as scary (but can get angsty for a young person, so you still have to look for that). I think Andrew Clements' books or maybe The Lemonade Crime (and the following books) might be fun for him.
I hope that helps a little!
#2 - September 05, 2012, 10:43 PM
Robin

Dan Gutman's baseball card adventure series. These books are fun fiction with baseball history woven in.

Susan
#3 - September 05, 2012, 10:47 PM

What about classics like The Wizard of Oz, Hardy Boys Mysteries, Charlotte's Web?
#4 - September 05, 2012, 11:17 PM

Louis Sachar's Wayside School series are good for advanced 6 year old readers. My daughter read them in first grade (when she had just turned seven) and absolutely loved them. They are funny stories about a very strange school. They will be easier reads than Harry Potter, but very fun and filled with good kid humor.
#5 - September 05, 2012, 11:48 PM
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 07:54 AM by jeanne k »
Young Henry and the Dragon (2011, Shenanigan Books)

I wrote a post about this when my son was a precocious 6 y.o. reader too. Check out my recommendations as well as the comments:

http://www.fromthemixedupfiles.com/2010/07/the-hunt-for-big-kid-books-in-the-middle-grade-section/

#6 - September 06, 2012, 05:05 AM
Twitter: @ KarenBlyToo

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
New!
Great recs already ...

We went through this with our kids, and I decided to stick with the classics. CS Lewis, Dickens, Stevenson, Burnett. We also read lots of contemporary stuff -- sports series, Animal Ark, etc. And of course, NF -- cars, animals, astronomy, etc. HP was in the scary category, not just suspense-nail-biting one ... and we waited until they were a bit older, around 9-10, and read them together. My daughter didn't get past #3 -- all that depiction of evil disturbed her too much.

Good luck finding great books!
Vijaya
#7 - September 06, 2012, 05:37 AM
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:23 AM by Vijaya »
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
My son read all seven HP books when he was 7.  Other books he loved include Big Nate (and the rest of the series), Ordinary Boy (and its two sequels), the Alcatraz (starting with Alcatraz and the Evil Librarians) series, The 39 Clues (and the many books following it), and even Geronimo Stilton books.  The latter were popular with most of his classmates, as well -- they're not very challenging, but they're aimed right at that age group!

I have a few others on my site:  http://robinreadsnwrites.com/book-reviews/ds-middle-grade-boy-book-recs/, but he was a couple years older when he compiled the list (though we included the ones I've already listed here, except Geronimo Stilton).
#8 - September 06, 2012, 07:37 AM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

My kids don't like scary books either.
A few we've enjoyed at our house:
Mysterious Benedict Society and its sequels/prequels
A Whole Nother Story and Another Whole Nother Story by Cuthbert Soup (so funny!)
Wrinkle in Time series
Narnia
Chasing Vermeer
100 Cupboards (N.D. Wilson)
#9 - September 06, 2012, 08:06 AM
twitter.com/enzor_jenni
jennienzor.blogspot.com

Members: