SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Copyright's should you register them officially?

Discussion started on

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
I know I am contemplating this more and more. When I was younger and was making single images with the intent of selling them as prints and whatnot, I registered my work faithfully. Now that I work full time freelance, I never seem to have the time or desire to do so. Add to that the increased possibility of your work being copied by a source outside the country that you truly have very little realistic chance to pursue legally. (Unless you make THAT kind of money with your work.)  I am interested in hearing different opinions or how you guys deal with this issue. Will Terry recently posted a video on my blog about it giving his opinion. I'm still not sure where I stand. Let me know what you guys think!

Video from Will Terry here.
#1 - September 28, 2012, 10:25 AM

Illustrator / Artist
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I do register. I think the attitude of "there isn't really anything you can do about infringement anyway " is harmful. I license the usage of my existing images. How can I justify charging an honest client for usage if I allow someone else to steal and use them for free? The extra legal muscle provided by registering may be a deterrent and an added incentive for infringers to comply quickly when confronted. Web infringement is most common and I do successfully confront and collect or have my images removed from sites where my work is used without permission - around the world.

There is a survey form going around put out by the US Copyright Office on creatives thoughts on the formation of a lower cost legal alternative for those whose work has been infringed to get quicker and cheaper resolution to infringement cases. I recommend all illustrators make their thoughts known. Creatives can only stop the mentality of enabling infringement if we all stand up and say it is not okay. Registering adds legal power to that statement.
#2 - October 03, 2012, 09:01 AM
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:04 AM by Steve Feldman »

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
Thanks so much for your input Steve!! Would you mind terribly copying and pasting your comments on the blog as well. You make some great points!

I'd also love some more info in regards to the survey you mentioned. Thanks so much!!
#3 - October 03, 2012, 09:09 AM

Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arkansas
Hi Wilson,

Here is the link to the Graphic Artists Guild Copyright survey.  There is more information about it at the link as well:
https://www.graphicartistsguild.org/copyright-survey/

- Tanja
#4 - October 03, 2012, 03:55 PM

Illustrator / Artist
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Tanja, thanks for the correction. Apparently this survey was compiled by GAG.

Wilson, happy to post to a blog - which one?
#5 - October 03, 2012, 05:20 PM

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
Thanks Tanja!

@Steve-The same blog linked in the initial post that is hosting the video. Thanks so much!
#6 - October 03, 2012, 06:55 PM

Illustrator / Artist
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Got it. Really nice Blog Wilson!
#7 - October 04, 2012, 06:32 AM
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 06:35 AM by Steve Feldman »

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
Thanks so much Steve!! We're trying!!! ;)
#8 - October 04, 2012, 07:19 AM

Members: