SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

checking for similar books

Discussion started on

CaroleB

I've written a new pb and want to check and see if it's too similar to something else already out there.  How do I do that?  How do you do that?

Carole
#1 - October 05, 2012, 06:43 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I'd probably do a subject search at my library catalog, and also on the advanced search function at Amazon. You can pick a year range there (Amazon and probably other online retailers). Unless the topic is REALLY obscure, in which case, maybe you don't need to worry... But if I was checking out say, bedtime stories published in the past five years, I'd check out the summaries and try to read as many of the actual books that looked similar as I could.

Also, you could see the help of an honest-to-goodness living librarian to see if she could find or suggest any books similar to what you have.
#2 - October 05, 2012, 06:48 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I just did this the other day, and as Olmue mentions, the advanced search engine on Amazon is excellent. I also get good results with Google. My story had a particular key word that made it easy to google.  :goodluck
#3 - October 05, 2012, 09:53 AM
FIVE SHORT SECONDS
SAYA AT SPEED
RULES OF THE GAME
TEST CASES
TWISTER RESISTERS
CRASH COURSE
Heinemann, Fall 2013

CaroleB

I'm a research flunky, I guess. I can't even find the advanced search button.  Apparently, I need a research librarian to help me and that's really sad because I have 13 years experience as a media assistant.  :gaah
#4 - October 05, 2012, 10:02 AM

CaroleB

So, the research fairy sent me a pm and helped me search for a similar book :fairywand:
    and the good news is it doesn't appear that there's a match, BUT the BETTER NEWS is that this place
    is filled with kind, helpful, folk who are just so darn supportive.   :thankyou

Big hugs to the fairy, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!  :flower

Carole   :hearts

#5 - October 05, 2012, 11:23 AM

Members: