SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I'm working on sci-fi that will be perceived as fantasy (I think)

Discussion started on

Danyelle

Added a drawing from this project to my blog.  It's fun to go back and use real pencils now and again.

http://www.cindercast.com/2012/11/quick-pencil-sketch.html

-Mike

Very nice! Pencils (colored) and charcoal are my favorite mediums to work with. :D
#31 - November 18, 2012, 09:08 PM

lydap

Kristin Nelson signed the author of Wool and sold the film rights for him. I wonder if she's also trying to tell his work to a traditional publisher.

I am working on something that I've also had trouble defining. It's far future and has a big scientific backstory that's going to come out over the course of the novel, or, should I be so lucky, a series. But in most ways, it reads like fantasy without elves or wizards, etc. I too have been unsure what to call it in my queries but I've gone with sci-fi, sometimes speculative fiction, which sounds really pretentious.

Your work looks fantastic!
#32 - November 27, 2012, 10:08 AM

Danyelle

Kristin Nelson signed the author of Wool and sold the film rights for him. I wonder if she's also trying to tell his work to a traditional publisher.

They sold to Random House UK, but declined to go with a US trade publisher.
#33 - November 27, 2012, 02:28 PM

It's taking me a while to revise my story.  It's only 13000 words but working full time supervising visual effects leaves little time to push this forward.  I'm hoping to have the text ironed out by the new year and identified where I nee y illustrations....

I'm going to stick with adventure.  Or fantasy adventure for now.   Finishing it is my prime focus right now.  Defining what it is can come later.

I'm glad Hugh Howey is doing so well.   Speaks well to the idea of serial bite size affordable content being a good model.
#34 - November 27, 2012, 06:33 PM

One thing that you might want to do if you feel like you are between genres is think not about how you want to position the book, but instead about who you want to read it. Look at what your specific target audience is, not pre-teen boys or something general, and look at what they are reading. Then you can position your book based on having it near the books that are similar to yours and attract the same reader. In the query (ie finding an agent) process, it would be called finding your comps. Even if you're self-publishing, you should think about what your book should be virtually shelved with so that your book comes up as one of the options when people get the "if you like this book..." recommendations. Hope that makes sense!
#35 - November 30, 2012, 12:36 PM

I think calling it fantasy adventure is appropriate, like The Borrowers, The Littles, or even Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. I was going to mention Ghibli's Arriety but I see I was beat to the punch! ::-)

Your drawings are charming and those kinds of stories are so fun. Good luck finishing the book! I know writing and illustrating can be a slow burn... FWIW I've been having a great time posting my book online. It's given me a deadline of sorts and has helped immensely in pacing myself to finish the illustrations.
#36 - December 07, 2012, 11:24 AM
Rema - an illustrated sci-fi novel, serialized online at http://remanmyth.blogspot.com

I'm about a third of the way through another major pass at editing, while at the same time experimenting with what kind of art style I want to use for color.   I keep flip flopping between heavy lines with subduded watercolor, or vibrant gobs of oil with strong saturated color.  Digital paint either way.

One thing I'm not planning on doing is the clash of worlds between the little people and the big.  I feel that story has been told many timed and I'm more interested in staying at the small scale and just keeping the perspective there.  The big world is enough without also having giant pairs of boots stomping around.

Can you solicit beta readings on this board if anyone is interested?  At some point I'd like so real outside input. 
#37 - December 08, 2012, 11:22 AM

Danyelle

Can you solicit beta readings on this board if anyone is interested?  At some point I'd like so real outside input. 

Yes. :) http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?board=73.0
#38 - December 08, 2012, 11:42 AM

Thanks.   I'll definately take advantage of that when I'm ready.

I did a quick experiment using digital oil style paint rather than watercolor.  I didn't even do a sketch first, I just started layering paint and I was pretty happy with the look I could achieve.   I might stick with this style rather than the pencils and watercolor look I was doing before.

Check it out, top post

http://www.cindercast.com
#39 - December 12, 2012, 07:28 AM

Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
Wow. The digital oil paint is so much more vibrant than the watercolor. It's amazing!
#40 - December 12, 2012, 07:34 AM
Twitter: @rs_gignilliat
www.rsgignilliat.com

I agree with Raynbow. Definitely your best piece yet! ^_^
#41 - December 12, 2012, 09:31 AM
Rema - an illustrated sci-fi novel, serialized online at http://remanmyth.blogspot.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Yep, very nice!
#42 - December 12, 2012, 10:12 AM

Thanks guys.  I just posted another.  Again at www.cindercast.com.  This is the same oil tools but I have three layers going on here.  A background, the characters, and my pencil layer on top.  I find it gives an interesting animated-still feeling that I'm pretty happy with.
#43 - December 16, 2012, 11:43 PM

Just an update (I guess this is turning out to be the running thread for my project here)...

The text revision process is grueling.  Very slow going.  I'm also finding I don't want to commit to art until I mostly finalize (or at least have a fully revised draft that I'm satisfied with).  So I'm just sketching and painting around the subject matter of the story without working on specific pieces yet.  Hopefully everything will come into focus by spring and I can start putting polish on things...
#44 - December 29, 2012, 08:54 PM

Members: