SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Questions about Agented Subs with Picture Books

Discussion started on

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Hi Team Picture Book. I'm hoping to go on agented sub with a picture book pretty soon. I've subbed PBs myself without an agent, and I had a MG novel on sub with my former agent. Novel subs are very slow, and unagented PB subs go into a slushy black hole from which they sometimes never emerge. I was wondering if the PB cycle for agented subs was the same as novels (taking months and months), or if responses come more quickly.

Also, for series or sequels, do editors usually want those written for PBs? I know for novels, a synopsis or pitch is enough, but what about PBs?

#1 - October 16, 2012, 07:39 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com

THIS OR THAT, Tilbury House, 2021
THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

www.tammisauer.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
I have had an editor express interest the next day and I have had two editors suddenly express interest in the same ms months after the ms was subbed. So...you just never know.

As for sequels...my answer is the same. You just never know. Sometimes an editor might express interest in an unwritten sequel right away. Sometimes an editor wants to see a completed ms before accepting the sequel.
Sometimes an editor wants to see how well the first book does before considering a sequel.

Best of luck with your ms!
#2 - October 16, 2012, 08:10 AM
COMING SOON: Making a Friend*Wordy Birdy Meets Mr. Cougarpants*A Little Chicken*Nugget & Fang, the SEAquel*The Farm that Mac Built & MORE

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Kell,

Tammi knows way more about this than I do  :bow, but my experience is that we usually heard within three months, sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more.

Good luck!

Jody
#3 - October 16, 2012, 09:16 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Hey Kell,

Congratulations again about the agent!!!

So,.. my take on this is that picture books are shorter reads than MG or YA,... so responses will likely be quicker than those. That means R's can come as quickly as the same day or week, but similarly, interest can as well. But as we all know, everyone works at a different pace.

Another factor outside of how great your ms is is the relationship between the agent and the acquiring editor. If they are friends, the response will likely be immediate. If they are acquaintances, could be quick or not. If they don't actually know each other at all, and never worked together, it could take months and a few SQ's to get a response. Some just won't, period.

Most editors don't go in order of the submissions received in their inbox. They have their priority views and the not-so-priority views. A priority view, for example, would be a submission from their own author. They get to those right away typically. Another priority view would be from published authors they know and love. And I'll be honest. I think it'll take longer for unpublished authors (in the genre you're submitting) to get read quickly,... though we all know an exception to this rule as with all "rules."

Hope this is helpful.
#4 - October 16, 2012, 11:00 AM
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 11:04 AM by SYoon »

CaroleB

Good question, Kell, and great answers.
(Salina, I was making up an answer in my mind and it ditto'ed yours.)
I think it's odd to think an agent wouldn't get a response, though.
Maybe that's good to know for folks who don't get responses; it even happens to agents!

Carole
#5 - October 16, 2012, 11:12 AM

Poster Plus
All over the place (days, weeks, months), and doesn't follow any rules. I've had my own editors take several months to reject and even longer to accept.
#6 - October 16, 2012, 11:19 AM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I think as well with text only PBs, if they are interested they may take a wee bit longer to visualize the story and think of illustrators that might be suitable before making any offers. This is purely speculation on my part as I have no idea what I'm talking about.  :ha

But I agree with everyone else, some responses may come fairly quickly, and others not so much, and maybe even a couple not at all.

#7 - October 16, 2012, 11:28 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Thanks for the answers! I figured it would be the usual all over the map, but a longer sub would be a relief, to tell the truth. I'm imagining whiplash where editors take one look and say no, and then sub is over. I like to hold onto hope!
#8 - October 16, 2012, 12:01 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com

THIS OR THAT, Tilbury House, 2021
THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Members: