SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Skeleton rhyme

Discussion started on

I need a word that can have something to do with a skeleton and rhymes with blue. Any ideas?
#1 - October 20, 2012, 10:07 AM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
could something be askew? Or bats flew, or something taboo or new or true. If it's silly, maybe he could be out past his curfew. He's a bag of bones without a sinew. Maybe he's a skeleton from a curse of voodoo. He could have a graveyard point of view. Perhaps he tasted a witch's brew. Maybe you could end the line with only a few, something he can't do, a pair of two.

I love my rhyming dictionary. :pumpkinhead:
#2 - October 20, 2012, 11:35 AM

A bag of bones with no sinew! Perfect! Thanks.
#3 - October 20, 2012, 11:48 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
The tough thing about "sinew" is that the stress naturally falls on the first syllable.  So if you're wanting it to rhyme with "blue," then the reader has to force the stress on the second syllable.  Forcing meter is generally frowned upon by editors, so you might want to try out a few alternatives.  Just my two cents.

Laura  :skeleton
#4 - October 20, 2012, 01:21 PM
AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN, Marshall Cavendish Children's Books
www.LauraWynkoop.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
If you don't have a rhyming dictionary, it's well worth getting one. I use The New Comprehensive American Rhyming Dictionary, but there are others out there.

Laurel  :skeleton
#5 - October 20, 2012, 03:19 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
I could not rhyme without RHYMEZONE!!!  Check it out. It's awesome. One of my editors introduced me to it, and never stopped using it since.

http://www.rhymezone.com/

And I agree with Wolfie about the awkward stress. And "sinew" is not really a kid friendly word,... if we're talking pb's, imo.

#6 - October 20, 2012, 03:24 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Rhymezone is my rhyming savior as well (and sometimes, so is Wolfie, come to think of it).
#7 - October 20, 2012, 03:33 PM
Young Henry and the Dragon (2011, Shenanigan Books)

Thanks guys. I ended up using "a bone askew", which worked well. I will have to check out that sight! Thanks for the heads up.
#8 - October 20, 2012, 04:10 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Rhymezone is my rhyming savior as well (and sometimes, so is Wolfie, come to think of it).

Jeanne, have I told you lately how much I love you?  :hug
#9 - October 20, 2012, 04:24 PM
AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN, Marshall Cavendish Children's Books
www.LauraWynkoop.com

CaroleB

I use rhymezone, too, but they list near rhymes, so got to be careful. For instance, around and brown are
not true rhymes, but they list it.  Just saying.

Carole  :grin
#10 - October 21, 2012, 06:13 AM

Members: