SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Picture book layout questions...

Discussion started on

morescribbles

I'd be really grateful for some help again :)
We're trying to jiggle pages around to maximise the amount of pages we have for the story.  We're currently planning to have a endpages, a single title page then publisher's credits on the very back page.

- Are endpapers included in the page count?  The book will be 32 pages and hardback.
- I've noticed that most picture books have two title pages.  Is it acceptable to have a single title page?

Thanks folks!  Deadline end of Feb and we're getting there very slowly but surely!  THANK YOU THANK YOU to all the kind folk who have given me advice to date.  I took the big step of joining the Association of Illustrators this week and have to say that the folk there have given me a great start giving superb advice on contracts and a hearty welcome.  I'm still here for the basic questions though I'm afraid lol.

Lou
#1 - January 28, 2009, 01:04 PM

Children's Book Editor
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
- Are endpapers included in the page count?  The book will be 32 pages and hardback.
- I've noticed that most picture books have two title pages.  Is it acceptable to have a single title page?
Lou, endpapers usually are not included in the page count, even if you have "self-ends," which is what happens when you print the endpapers as part of the 32 pages of the book. When you do that, you save $ by not having to create and bind in separate endpapers, but you end up with only 24 pages.

A book with "two title pages" probably has what's called a "half title" page with only the title on it, followed by a full title page, which usually has the title, author's and illustrator's names, and publisher. One title page is perfectly acceptable.

Do you have Uri Shulevitz's Writing with Pictures? He has a lot of of help in there on planning and laying out a book.

Good luck with the book!
#2 - January 28, 2009, 01:24 PM
Harold Underdown

The Purple Crayon, a children's book editor's site: http://www.underdown.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HUnderdown

morescribbles

Thank you so much for your reply HaroldU.  I'm relieved that the endpapers aren't included and very grateful for the advice.

Thank you for the good luck too.  It's appreciated!!!

Lou
#3 - January 28, 2009, 01:51 PM

hatem

Thanks a lot Harold for recommending this book, I guess that is what I need to read these days as well, I will try to order it soon.
thanks for asking this "morescribbles" :)
#4 - February 01, 2009, 07:40 AM

df

WRITING WITH PICTURES is a must have, I think.

Re page count - at my publisher, they numbered things differently. What was essentially a 32 page book became a 40 page book - but page 1 was the glued down side of the endpaper. So the endpaper was 2-3, the title page 3-4, etc.

Debbie
#5 - February 01, 2009, 10:50 AM

Members: