SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Great books for 16 year old girl who reads everything

Discussion started on

Loretta

Hello all,

It's been so long since I've posted here. Maybe this will get me back in the writing groove. I am looking for recent books that you loved. My 16 year old is an avid reader. In school, she is in a class Novel and other fiction and also Greek mythology which she has 100 in. She loves Greek Myth. Read all the Percy Jackson books. Loved the Hunger Games. Also enjoyed the Divergent, Insurgent from Veronica Roth, City of Bones by Cassandra Claire. Loves the author Simone Elkes. Clockwork Angel, Maze Runner, Iron Princess, Harry Potter...etc..Hmmm, just trying to give you an idea of what she likes. Any suggestions would be great:) Try to get her at least 5 for the holidays. Thanks everyone. :grin
#1 - November 29, 2012, 06:27 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Code Name Verity for sure. If she likes adult books: Secret Life of Bees; Time Traveller's Wife.
There's also a ton of NF for an avid reader.
Vijaya

#2 - November 29, 2012, 07:13 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. Love that book!
#3 - November 29, 2012, 07:34 AM
Twitter: @rs_gignilliat
www.rsgignilliat.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
My favorite two books from last year were The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater and Ultraviolet, by RJ Anderson. This year I'm not done with all the ones on my TBR list, but I loved A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan and The False Prince by Jennifer Nielsen. Another recent favorite is Entwined by Heather Dixon. And my girls are really enjoying the Ruby Red series by Kerstin Gier right now.

Have fun shopping! :)
#4 - November 29, 2012, 07:40 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
Greek mythology, hm?  The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller won the Orange prize this year.  It's a gorgeous read.
#5 - November 29, 2012, 07:53 AM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I keep an on-going list of my favorite YA reads on my website:  http://robinreadsnwrites.com/2011/03/19/ya-urban-fantasy/.  They're separated by categories, so you can poke around, if you'd like.
#6 - November 29, 2012, 08:07 AM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

some favorites this year:

Bitterblue
This Dark Endeavor
The Crimson Crown
Beautiful Music for Ugly Children
Adaptation
Personal Effects
Owl in Love
I Hunt Killers
When the Red Sea is Rising
Sean Griswold's Head
Wanderlove

many of these are inclusive of PoC characters
and/or LGBTQ characters.

i very much advocate diverse books in young adult,
but beyond that, they were fantastic and favorite reads.

i point the diversity out because often, if you don't
seek it out, you just don't read them. they are almost
never lead titles, and get lost in the midlist shuffle.
#7 - November 29, 2012, 08:43 AM
Silver Phoenix (Greenwillow: 4/28/09)
Fury of the Phoenix (Greenwillow: 3/30/11)
Serpentine (Month9Books: 9/1/15)

Member.
Poster Plus
I bet she'd love Daughter Of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. Her YA short story collection, Lips Touch, is also amazing and heavy on the myth/fairy tale elements. Another incredible short story collection with a similar feel (and awesome writing) is Pretty Monsters by Kelly Link.
#8 - November 29, 2012, 09:06 AM

I loved Incarceron and Sapphique by Catherine Fisher. Such a brilliant setting!
I also second (or third?) The Scorpio Races, Entwined, and Ultraviolet.
And if she likes retold fairy tales, A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth Bunce and The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale.

And if she likes Greek myths, has she already read Megan Whalen Turner's books? Those would be perfect.
#9 - November 29, 2012, 12:25 PM
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:28 PM by Karen de Foy »

Mike Jung

Speaking of Elizabeth Bunce, STARCROSSED and LIAR'S MOON are also superb. You might also consider Erin Bow's PLAIN KATE, which is one of my favorite YA fantasies of the past few years.
#10 - November 29, 2012, 12:35 PM

Uber Sparkly Poster
Poster Plus
Based on the books you listed I would recommend:

UNSPOKEN by Sarah Rees Brennan (a similar mix of the humor/sarcasm/quips and action/darkness andf friendship/romance that you see in City of Bones. (Brennan's first series, THE DEMON'S LEXICON, could be a good fit as well)

WHITE CAT by Holly Black (magical mobsters, with star-crossed lovers, excellent world-building, and wonderful plots, I think it has a lot of overlap in appeal to several of the series you mention above)

I second the rec for BITTERBLUE, but would start with GRACELING (the first in the series) by Kristin Cashore if she hasn't read that one yet. It's high fantasy, but is a pretty close emotional read alike to HUNGER GAMES and DIVERGENT and delivers a similar reading experience.

For historical paranormal, that might have similar appeal to Clockwork Angel, I'd say Libba Bray's A GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY could be a good pick, or her more recent 1920s paranormal, THE DIVINERS.

For older books, I'd also recommend Tamora Pierce's SONG OF THE LIONESS (starting with ALANNA: THE FIRST ADVENTURE) and the IMMORTALS quartet  (starting with WILD MAGIC).  The first Alanna book has a boarding school setting and magic (a la Harry Potter), a girl being put through physical trials while trying to prove herself fearless (a la Divergent), and the "watching the characters grow up" factor that you see in both Percy and HP.  The Wild Magic books are set in the same world, a little on down the line (and there are many other series set there, too), and there's a real sense of mythology, lots of monsters/creatures, and so on, so they seem like they might be a good fit.

#11 - November 29, 2012, 02:38 PM

Uber Sparkly Poster
Poster Plus
Also, I almost forgot!

I think LEGEND by Marie Lu is probably a good bet for two reasons: (1) it's a good choice for fans of several of the dystopian titles you mentioned, such as HUNGER GAMES and DIVERGENT, and (2) it's about a girl genius who is basically a futuristic cop and a boy genius who is a futuristic criminal, but emotionally, that contrast (girl who grew up in a wealthy family, boy from the wrong side of the futuristic tracks) is very similar to some of Simone Elkeles contemporary romances, so it may appeal to her on multiple levels.
#12 - November 29, 2012, 02:51 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
I loved THE BOOK THIEF, a gorgeous book, and important. TUCK EVERLASTING is another that makes you think about deep issues without realizing it, good for any age. Also, FEVER 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson -- a page-turner, with a touch of teen romance. And there's the classic CATCHER IN THE RYE, and one of my all time favorites, A SEPARATE PEACE. Helene Boudreau's REAL MERMAIDs books are wonderful, and Joni's FARWALKER trilogy is excellent, as is Marissa Doyle's historical/magical series, starting with BEWITCHING SEASON.
 :)
#13 - November 29, 2012, 04:09 PM
Ten Clever Ninjas (picture book, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)
Butterfly Girl (middle grade novel, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)

Twitter: @kidlitSarah

Loretta

Hello again everyone,

Thanks so much for this fantastic list of books. It's good to see some of you again and hear from some of you for the first time. Some of these books, she has read, a lot she has not, so I have plenty to choose from.  :snowman2: I am sure she will enjoy them for Christmas.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays :xmastree
#14 - December 13, 2012, 05:52 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
  • SCBWI PAL
Maybe it's time for some adult? If you aren't worried about content - Prince of Tides, The Stand and Plainsong.
#15 - December 13, 2012, 08:29 AM

Members: