SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Book recommendations for 15YO boy

Discussion started on

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Any suggestions? My son will be 15 next month. Has loved reading his whole life. Is now feeling frustrated by dwindling fiction offerings. He's currently plowing through the Wheel of Time series (fantasy for adults), likes fantasy, likes funny (doesn't have to contain both in the same book). Likes NF about math and science as well, as long as there's enough meat to it. Longer is better, because he reads so quickly. He says he doesn't like mysteries because they are basically all the same story over and over, just in different colors. And he HATES contemporary novels that are about Difficult Issues or that are all pretty writing and no plot. So er...there are some highly lauded Printz winners that he's not the slightest bit interested in. He'll read middle grade because it's lower on misery and higher on heroics, but it's gotta be really, really new, or there's a good chance he's already read it. The only thing he'll tell me that he wants for Christmas is books, lots of books, but...help!!
#1 - December 04, 2012, 01:13 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Has he read Michael Grant's BZRK? He's the author of the GONE series. BZRK is the first in a new series. It's a contemporary setting, but with a sci fi angle centered around nano technology used for espionage.
#2 - December 04, 2012, 01:21 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Ooh, maybe not! Then again, I'd better check with his brother first--whenever I check out new books from the public library I think he'd like, I get home and he says he's already read it from the school library (which I think is more extensive than the public library and which must have a pneumatic tube connected directly to YA publishers). But something like that sounds promising!
#3 - December 04, 2012, 01:26 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
London Calling by Edward Bloor
Code Talker by Joseph Bruchac
The Humming of Numbers by our own Joni Sensel
Terry Pratchett's Discworld books--funny and thought-provoking
David Eddings--a lot of his fantasy is being repackaged as YA

What areas of science does he like?
#4 - December 04, 2012, 01:32 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Physics, chemistry, stuff like that.

Ooh, Terry Pratchett, right! After years of suggestion, my boys have finally picked him up. There's a whole Discworld out there! Thank you for reminding me!

I think he'd like London Calling, too.
#5 - December 04, 2012, 01:36 PM

Mike Jung

He might like Jasper Fforde - I've only read the Tuesday Next novels, but they're fantastic. His latest is THE LAST DRAGONSLAYER. What about THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN? It's hilarious, as is Frank Portman's KING DORK. Martha Brockenbrough's DEVINE INTERVENTION is very, very funny. If he's partial to zombies, I highly recommend Jonathan Maberry's Benny Imura series, ROT & RUIN, DUST & DECAY, and FLESH & BONE. Also in a zombie vein are Cherie Priest's Clockwork Century books, which aren't YA but are fantastic - BONESHAKER, CLEMENTINE, GANYMEDE, and DREADNOUGHT. For steampunkish fantasy that is beautifully written but is also full of cool stuff happening you can't beat Kate Milford's books, THE BONESHAKER and THE BROKEN LANDS. A science-ish MG is Kate Messner's EYE OF THE STORM.

Ellen Oh's PROPHECY (out next month!!!) is awesome. How about Jennifer Nielsen? Megan Whalen Turner? Robin LaFevers?
#6 - December 04, 2012, 01:45 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Any interest in the space program? Andrew Chaikin's A Man on the Moon is fabulous..and if he has any interest in severe weather and storm chasing, Reed Timmer's Into the Storm is a fun read.
#7 - December 04, 2012, 01:46 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Mike Jung

Has he read Kenneth Oppel? HE MUST READ KENNETH OPPEL...
#8 - December 04, 2012, 01:48 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Sounds like my son ... but he's 13.

I know Sherman Alexie's book is gritty but WOW! He just has to read it. His shorts are also good.
How about some Ian Fleming?
And Conn Igulden is phenomenal. Genghis Khan, Caesar ... sweeping historicals. Lots of action/adventure.

Happy shopping and reading.
Vijaya
#9 - December 04, 2012, 01:55 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
He cleaned out the Kenneth Oppel (I love Oppel, too!) a while back. And I'm getting The Last Dragonslayer for his brother already. Part-Time Indian is a little too much My Everyday Life, I think--he was surprised to find himself liking Wonder, by RJ Palacio, but that's hardly what most people's life is like, you know? Mostly he rails against contemporary... Steampunk is good, though. He liked Scott Westerfield's steampunk series.
#10 - December 04, 2012, 01:58 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I wonder if he might like Patricia Wrede's Frontier Magic series--it's got a girl protagonist, but she's not a girly-girl, and there are plenty of male characters as well.
#11 - December 04, 2012, 02:04 PM
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
My 14 yr old son really like the Skulduggery Pleasant books (me too, actually, he made me read the first one, and now I'm hooked), and he also likes the new Percy Jackson series.

I loved the Stainless Steel Rat at that age, but I haven't read any in a long time. I can't remember if there is inappropriate humor in them.  :whistle

Has he read the Chaos Walking Trilogy?
#12 - December 04, 2012, 02:19 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Might I suggest Samurai Awakening?  Its new, good reviews from boys, and I'll have a short story tie-in out next month! Also agree Prophecy looks good.  He's probably read Ender's Game?
#13 - December 04, 2012, 02:49 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Sounds like a kid who would LOVE The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (by Douglas Adams). Assuming he hasn't read it already.

Also lots of fun: The Magicians by Lev Grossman. It's like an adult, kinda-literary take on Harry Potter, but with drier humor. It's about a high school senior who gets invited to a college for magic, and it follows him through graduation and into early adulthood. Good stuff.

How about Scott Westerfeld's LEVIATHAN series? Those books make my science-brain happy, and they are definitely fresh and unique. (and tons of fun!)

Great thread!
#14 - December 04, 2012, 03:17 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
He might like ROOTLESS by Chris Howard. It was just released last month so there's a good chance he hasn't read it and it has serious boy appeal. Heroics in post-apocalyptic world with no trees, pirates and flesh eating locusts.
#15 - December 04, 2012, 03:29 PM
GRAVE IMAGES, Scholastic Press 2013
FOREMAN FARLEY, Grosset & Dunlap 2014

www.jennygoebel.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
AMPED by Daniel Wilson
ROBOPOCALYPSE by Daniel Wilson
READY PLAYER ONE by Ernest Cline (pubbed in 2011, probably my FAVORITE read of 2012, was on the 2012 Alex Award list)
EREBOS by Ursula Poznanski
THE IMMORTAL LIFE OF HENRIETTA LACKS by Rebecca Skloot
11/23/69 by Stephen King
#16 - December 04, 2012, 03:37 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

You've gotten some great suggestions already...! Off the top of my head:

Another vote for Sherman Alexie.

How about FEED by MT Anderson?
Anything by Chris Crutcher.

#17 - December 04, 2012, 03:41 PM
WHEN A DRAGON MOVES IN, Flashlight Press, May 2011
GOOD NEWS NELSON, Story Pie Press, Dec 2012

www.writerjodimoore.com

Some British suggestions, because maybe he hasn't bumped into these yet:

Chris Bradford's Young Samurai books (there's gobs of them!)
Devil's Kiss by Sarwat Chadda

And perhaps a little old for him (and of course American!), but Holly Black's Curse Workers series
#18 - December 04, 2012, 04:00 PM
critically-yours.blogspot.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I saw a great post of 140 Books for Teen Boys the other day:
http://www.thereadventurer.com/1/post/2012/11/wall-of-books-140-books-for-the-boys-of-ya.html

It's not every book, but there is something for everyone (boy or not) -- new, classic, every genre, by authors and with characters of both genders.
#19 - December 04, 2012, 04:52 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Robert Cormier - The Chocolate War, Beyond the Chocolate War, I Am the Cheese (and others)
#20 - December 04, 2012, 05:23 PM

Members: