SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Keeping my promise

Discussion started on

Jacqueline Buffinet

I was asked on another post here in the illustrators' section to share when I figured out how to format a Kindle Picture Book to fill the page. I posted the answer over on the computer and web part of the Blue Boards. It's a bit long but, I hope, also helpful.

Edited by mod to add the link: http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=65656.0;topicseen
#1 - December 11, 2012, 12:55 PM
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 01:00 PM by Joni »

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Thank you for sharing this. I'm looking into app's and EBooks. What a gem!
#2 - December 14, 2012, 06:31 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arkansas
Thanks for the info!  I may be needing it...   ;D

Quote:  "My original digital artwork was formatted for print at 8X10 with a resolution of 600."

Jacqueline -- why so high a dpi?  Was this at your printer's request?  Most printers I've worked with have wanted final art submitted at 300 dpi (to scale).

- Tanja
#3 - December 14, 2012, 08:42 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I'd also like to know why you work at such a high resolution? Will some or all of the images be enlarged a great deal ex: posters?
Ive never worked above 300 for publishers.
Oh, and thank you for taking so much of your time to post the whole process, though it intemidates the heck out of me:)
#4 - December 16, 2012, 02:32 AM
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 02:38 AM by christripp »
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Jacqueline Buffinet

Thanks for the info!  I may be needing it...   ;D

Quote:  "My original digital artwork was formatted for print at 8X10 with a resolution of 600."

Jacqueline -- why so high a dpi?  Was this at your printer's request?  Most printers I've worked with have wanted final art submitted at 300 dpi (to scale).

- Tanja

Thanks for the question, Tanja and Chris.

When I first got my Photoshop and tablet, I knew practically nothing about digital art nor resolution for printing. I've made no secret here that I learned a great deal of what I know from the internet which I suppose means I am going to get both good and bad information. So I have to work all of that out through putting the things I learn to my own use. In one instructional the artist said he liked to work in 600 dpi in order to be able to zoom in and get to the fine details of any piece of work. I read in other places that some printers preferred 600, and in others that though they might take 300, 600 would give sharper images. And then there is of course the possibility of expanding the size of the image for art prints. I am in fact giving prints of my work to my children this Christmas (at my husband's insistence that that it is a more meaningful gift than what we could buy in a store.) All of these factors played in my decision to begin my art at high resolutions. And for my experience I do find that I like being able to zoom in and work with the finer detail of a subject, even if it might not show up in a printed book. For printers who like smaller dpi, it is an easy matter of reducing the image.

Chris, I hear you on the intimidation factor. That's why I spent nearly two weeks trying to find a short cut in InDesign. You can work through it though and it's worth it to see that art you worked so hard on, fill the screen.   ::-)
#5 - December 18, 2012, 11:33 AM

Jacqueline Buffinet

Oh it might be good for me to point out my children are grown. LOL. The grand kids are getting toys.  ;)
#6 - December 18, 2012, 02:40 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Ahhh, Ok, so the zooming in to do fine detail painting and line work makes perfect sence, cause yes, at 300 enlarging the piece is very jagged and pixelated ( is that a word?:)
I think giving your art as gifts is an amazing gift for our kids ( no matter the age but yeah, if they were young they might not appreciate it till they were grown:) I've done something similar. I was using vistaprint to do up promo postcards to mail out, a Christmas illustration. As you cycle through the site to finally get to payment and finish, they bombard you with, you may like to put your image on this, on that etc. Well their advertising worked on me, cause then I thought of gifts I could give my adult kids too. So I ended up going back with the post card image, minus my name and website info on it. Just put Christmas 2012 and love mom in the text box and voila, all 4 are getting tote bags and tree decorations....by mom:)
In design might now have to be added to my list of things to learn in the new year:)
#7 - December 19, 2012, 03:18 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arkansas
...All of these factors played in my decision to begin my art at high resolutions. And for my experience I do find that I like being able to zoom in and work with the finer detail of a subject, even if it might not show up in a printed book. For printers who like smaller dpi, it is an easy matter of reducing the image.

I usually work with a higher resolution (at 450 or so) and then reduce my final painting to the 300 dpi required by the printer.  Based on your original comment, I wasn't sure if the 600 was your working resolution or a printing requirement. Thanks for answering my question!  ::-)

- t
#8 - December 19, 2012, 10:03 AM

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
Thanks so much for posting your process!!! Awesome info!!!
#9 - December 19, 2012, 10:26 AM

I was once the boy who wouldn't sit still!
Member.
Poster Plus
Great post. I converted my book to ipad format using epubbud.com. Super easy. Just click on the Create an eBook button.
http://www.epubbud.com/
#10 - January 22, 2013, 05:41 PM

Members: