SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Couples who do good?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Looking for couples who do good in the world - charity or similar - for an interview for 2 magazine. The idea behind it is 'the power of 2' so ideal if the couple works closely together on the project or met each other through the project.

The more unusual/interesting the charitable deeds, the better!

PM me!
#1 - December 12, 2012, 05:25 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Do you have to do an interview? Herb & Dorothy come to mind, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_and_Dorothy_Vogel

#2 - December 12, 2012, 07:28 PM

Like Bill and Melinda Gates? They may be hard to get an interview with....
#3 - December 12, 2012, 08:53 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Brad and Angelina--They, too, might be difficult to get an interview with.    :muahaha:
#4 - December 12, 2012, 09:04 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
He he he, no, I need 'real' people! By real I mean not celebrities. Just your ordinary Joe/Jo type people!
#5 - December 13, 2012, 04:35 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Not sure if this is what you're thinking of, but I'm pretty sure that some of the top tier volunteer types at the JDRF are couples (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation). Names of the top of my head escape me, but I seem to remember from newsletters that husbands & wives are both active in a variety of roles. This is probably true for a number of child-related health advocacy groups.

#6 - December 13, 2012, 04:58 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Not sure if this is what you're thinking of, but I'm pretty sure that some of the top tier volunteer types at the JDRF are couples (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation). Names of the top of my head escape me, but I seem to remember from newsletters that husbands & wives are both active in a variety of roles. This is probably true for a number of child-related health advocacy groups.

Thanks, Jenna. Yes, there are tonnes of couples doing charity work but this was more a shout out so that if anyone knew of anyone who would like to plug their charity/inspiring work, they could. But I haven't had anyone PM me so I guess maybe no one knows any couples personally in this way? The mag is targeted at young couples and the idea is that reading it will be inspiring - ie look at the amazing things you can achieve as a couple, you know?

I've found several couples around the world that fit the bill (a couple training locals to help them get work in Mozambique, a couple using music/art to beat knife crime in the UK, and a couple who run a community festival in Bali) but wanted to see if anyone on the BBs had people who'd fit too.
#7 - December 13, 2012, 05:18 AM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Sorry for the late reply - I've been away on holiday (yay). A couple I know work on tree kangaroo research and conservation in Papua New Guinea. They have been there for quite a while now (maybe a decade?) and have, in the process of their work, done great work in local communities too. Their website is http://www.tenkile.com/
Their names are Jim and Jean Thomas.
#8 - December 23, 2012, 03:51 PM
I've Got a Tail! - Amicus Ink 2020

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Members: