Corel Painter 12

Discussion started on

Writer/Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I'm not sure if I should put this here or in the illustrating section. Since it's about software, I'll post here.

I have been working with an Painter X for years and years. I have all my palettes, brushes and everything set up the way I like it. Since the program is now up to 12, I'm thinking of upgrading. Before I do, however, I wanted to see if anyone here is using it. Have you had any problems? Is it glitchy? Any bugs I should be aware of?

Thanks a bunch for any reviews and thoughts. Happy holidays!
#1 - December 17, 2012, 08:49 AM
The Mermaid's Gift, Pelican, 2015
Cody and Grandpa's Christmas Tradition, Pelican 2016
Rest in Peace RaShawn, Creative Medicine, 2017

Writer & illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I'd be curious in any replies as well.

I upgraded to Corel Painter 12 as soon as it was available (I had been using Painter 11) but was very disappointed in how crash-y the upgraded version was. I abandoned Painter and switched to Photoshop.

Now, however, I'm yearning to go back to experimenting with more painterly brushes. Some of my illustrator friends (like Russ Cox) seem to be happy with Painter 12, so I've decided to try the current version (downloaded and installed patches). I'm using Lynda.com to learn how to use the new interface.

I'll be interested in anyone else's experience with Painter 12.

Debbie
#2 - December 25, 2012, 12:29 PM
DebbieOhi.com - Twitter: @inkyelbows - Instagram: @inkygirl

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • SCBWI PAL
I've been using Painter 12 for a few months now and haven't had any problems. Painter 11 crashed on me every time I switched to to my finder window while using it and so far this one doesn't. I like it!
#3 - January 25, 2013, 04:07 PM
www.susanrobinsonart.com
robinsonillustration.com

Writer/Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I've been away from the boards for a while. I appreciate the replies. Sounds like Painter 12 might have worked out some of the bugs in 11. Sometime this year, I'll dive in and get it. It's always so hard because I have everything set up just as I like it, and when I upgrade I'll have to reload all my patterns, brushes and papers and any other goodies I use. But I do so love painting in Painter. It mimics real life painting so well.

I've been playing with PSD 6, which I recently got. I love that you can now tilt your canvas. That was something I've always loved about Painter. But I'm still frustrated with the brushes.
#4 - February 08, 2013, 12:08 PM
The Mermaid's Gift, Pelican, 2015
Cody and Grandpa's Christmas Tradition, Pelican 2016
Rest in Peace RaShawn, Creative Medicine, 2017

Im using Corel Painter 12 as well it's a nice software much more catered to rendering though photoshop could do the same but it's a bit tedious for a newbie unlike painter where you have all the specific brushes you need the only thing is it is a system hogger..esepcially the watercolor brushes you'll need a faster processor and a huge RAM. Updating to Painter 12 for me is good if you can afford.

Or you can download the freeware Paint tool Sai it works much like Painter but less on computing power. There're lots of software that helps us illustrators in refining our work. You just need to find one that's comfy enough for ya.
#5 - February 17, 2013, 06:40 PM

Members: