SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

What would a current 11 - 12 year old girl collect

Discussion started on

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
My main character is trying to clean her room to get rid of stuff to raise money in a yard sale, she is getting rid of some old dolls, toys that have collected over the years, etc. 

She does want a dog, I was thinking beanie baby dogs, but didn't know if these were passe.  Or should they be some sort of ceramic, molded plastic, etc. ?
#1 - December 17, 2012, 05:54 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Why not give her a non-name brand thing (or make up a brand name)?  If you give her something specific and very "now," you run the risk of it sounding dated by the time you hit publication.
#2 - December 17, 2012, 05:56 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
My 11 y.o. chicklet's grandma has given her a half dozen or so china figurines of animals, which she thinks are the greatest thing. That, I suppose, might be something that could be hard to part with for your character so could create some good conflict/tension.
#3 - December 17, 2012, 06:07 PM
www.heleneboudreau.com

Author of the REAL MERMAIDS tween series, RED DUNE ADVENTURES chapter book series, I DARE YOU NOT TO YAWN (2013) and more.

Those little miniature "grab bag" characters -- they have a few names, I think one brand is called squinkies. You buy a bag and don't know what characters are going to be inside your pack until you open it. They're funny and cute. They've been around a while.
#4 - December 17, 2012, 06:11 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
My ten-year-old granddaughter loved dinosaurs from the time she was a toddler. She has a collection of dinosaurs, from stuffed to hard plastic, and although she has outgrown them somewhat, she would have a hard time parting with them now.
#5 - December 18, 2012, 12:30 AM

If she's a horse girl, Breyer Stablemates. Or some kind of cards like Yugio, or Bella Sara, or Pokemon?
#6 - December 18, 2012, 05:05 AM
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

Anything to do with Justin Beiber. Ugh!
#7 - December 18, 2012, 05:56 AM

When I was that age, I collected dog figurines made of china, plastic, wood... you name it. I had more than 30.
#8 - December 18, 2012, 02:55 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
My 11YO daughter likes to collect those realistic Schleich animal figures, especially the horses!
#9 - December 18, 2012, 05:16 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I had horses, and I know girls are still into horses, but this girl is really pushing to own a dog...

So I will probably go with collecting dogs of all kinds. 

(I still have my horse collection btw  ;) )

Thanks everyone for the ideas. 
#10 - December 19, 2012, 05:22 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
Maybe she could have a crazy collection of dog things.  For instance, maybe she has the dog from the Monopoly game.  The rest of the board game can go to the garage sale. :)  And maybe she's got a collection of movies with dogs in them like 8 Below, Lassie, Yellow Dog, all the way back to Sounder.  How about things she's collected for when she gets a dog?  A dog brush, doggy shampoo, a whistle, things she's saved in anticipation of getting her dog?  Those things would be difficult to part with IMHO. 
#11 - December 19, 2012, 05:46 PM
How Lamar's Bad Prank Won A Bubba-Sized Trophy (Balzar & Bray, 02-2011)
The Laura Line (Balzar & Bray, 04-2013)
http://www.crystalallenbooks.com

Yes - I'd make it a little crazier - my kids wouldn't really collect figurines, but more stuff with some kind of meaning or purpose only evident to an 11 year old. She might have the used collar of the dog next door that she wished was her own or the coin she found in the parking lot when she pet that awesome Golden Retriever, or the tooth that her aunt's maltipoo lost while she was dogsitting...
#12 - December 19, 2012, 07:59 PM
Robin

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I have a dog bone ornament, that never hangs on a tree, mugs with dogs on them, etc.  I was also thinking about books about training dogs, a breed poster and anything else I can think of, not just the figurines.  Because in the book she keeps pushing her mom about owning a dog. 

I think it would be great to pick up a puppy collar now that you mention it.   :dog2:

"love me - love my dog" pillow. hehe
#13 - December 20, 2012, 05:08 PM

I collected shark teeth, but I will admit I was not a "normal" girl.  ;)
#14 - December 31, 2012, 10:34 AM
Latest release: GAMER SQUAD series (2017, Sterling)
www.kimharringtonbooks.com
www.twitter.com/Kim_Harrington

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
My character lives in the Midwest, shark teeth would be hard to come by... geodes would be easier.
#15 - January 01, 2013, 03:09 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region germanyaustria
My 12 year old has collected and still keeps:
shells (from trips we've taken)
rocks (from who knows where)
big walking sticks that she's carved designs on herself
everything she's ever made in school (I keeps some of these things actually --- handwork items and art)
snow globes
kinder egg toys
postcards that people have sent her (actually she keeps a lot of cards from holidays too)
photos (stacks of my photos / duplicates from the attic that she's kept for herself)
silly socks
homemade bracelets to swap with friends
She also has decks of cards from all kinds of tourist traps - not sure he'd consider that a collection though
not sure if you're MC has an older sister but my 12 yo --- LOVES any hand-me-downs -clothes, jewelry, nail polish, make-up that big sis tosses her way.
I love the idea of your MC having to part with something to get something (or try to get something) and also agree with those who suggested having it tie into animals in some way.
#16 - January 02, 2013, 04:59 PM
The Safest Lie in stores now
The End of the Line - VOYA Top Shelf & YALSA Quick Pick
www.angelacerrito.com
FB/twtr/Tmblr AngelaCerrito

Members: