SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Any Cub Scout Masters out there? Or know one?

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I have a NF magazine article about the history of the Pinewood Derby. But I need an expert to review it.

Is anyone a cub scout master or know one that would be willing to verify my article? It is about 600 words.

PM me or send me an email schriscoe @ yahoo dot com
Thanks
Sharon
#1 - January 11, 2013, 01:48 PM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

My husband is a cub scout master, but he definitely would not be any sort of an expert on the history of the Pinewood Derby and you might be hard pressed to find one that will know more about it than you after your research. You might be better off getting a hold of one of the higher ups in scouting. Someone on the executive board or editor for their magazine or something.
#2 - January 11, 2013, 02:58 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Having just bought a shiny new aluminum Pinewood Derby track for our Pinewood Derby tonight, I know something about the tracks and racing, but I don't know anything about the history. I don't know many Cub Scout Masters who would. Your local BSA council might be your best bet.

Laurel
#3 - January 11, 2013, 04:59 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
I don't know anything about the history, either, but some of my favorite moments with our son have come while making Pinewood Derby cars together, in our dining room.

We had this old saw that my grandfather had during WWII (this is true), and would cut so, so slowly, and overheat so that it singed the wood and we'd have to let it cool for 20 minutes after every 20 minutes or so of cutting. Sparks would fly out the top, and our son's job was to throw a wet towel over my head if my hair caught on fire. A couple of our dining room chairs have small chinks in the side where I managed to hit them with the world's slowest saw. Then we'd dig out holes to add weights, and glue them in, and the bottom always looked terrible. Our son would paint them himself, and get the stripe almost straight, and I always thought they looked zippy.

Then we'd go to the Derby, and there'd be all these cars with actual auto paint on them, and fancy designs--often made by an adult. And we'd sign in, and people would shoot our son pitying glances.

And he'd just smile, because those were people who hadn't raced us before.

We smoked 'em. Never finished lower than third. And boy, did we have a good time doing it.

Sorry I can't help with the article, but I'm so glad you brought this back to mind.
#4 - January 11, 2013, 05:21 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Oh my yes. Such memories - some good, some bad. If you need personal stories I bet Dewsanddamps and I could supply you with some.

Laurel
#5 - January 12, 2013, 11:50 AM

I second the idea to contact your local district office (or even contact the main headquarters in Irving, Texas).  I have been a Cubmaster several times as well as a district trainer, and even I don't know that much about the history of the Pinewood Derby.  (I do know a bit, but I'm certainly not an expert...though look me up if you ever need an expert on how a cub scout pack is run--I do know quite a bit about that.  :grin3 )

Good luck with your project!
#6 - January 14, 2013, 07:30 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Thanks everyone for the great ideas for finding an expert! The Pinewood Derby turns 60 this year and I think it would make a great article.( well it may be 61 or 62 before the article gets wrote, verified and published:) but Happy 60th Birthday for now!

AmandaSue,
Yes, I think I will email the BSA magazine editor. Good idea. Thanks

DewsandDamps What a wonderful story! That is exactly the thing that Don Murphy(the founder) wanted. He would be so proud, and that is what I hope this article will do if it gets publishe...bring back memories and creat new ones.

Pons, When is your race? Best of luck to you guys! GO get 'em!

Elissacruz Thanks for the offer on running a cub scout pack expert. YOu never know I just may take you up on that one!

Fingers crossed my expert will be found and my story published!
#7 - January 20, 2013, 02:53 AM
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:54 AM by Schriscoe »
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

Members: