SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Pirates?

Discussion started on

I would think that the answer to this question would be a resounding 'yes,' but I've been asked to verify. For those of you who have (or teach) Kg or first grade kids, would they be familiar with pirates and some of their 'accessories'--parrot, ship, deck, beard, etc.
#1 - January 31, 2013, 09:53 AM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

They certainly would around here (in pirate country!).  I honestly think they would most anywhere in the country, though.

My daughter had dressed like a pirate for Halloween, entered a dress-like-a-Pirate contest (and won a book about a pirate's parrot), and gone to "pirate camp" even by third grade or so.

By kindergarten?
Parrot, yes.
Ship, yes.
Peg-leg, probably.
Deck--they might need reminding what this is.
Beard--they might not have thought of this as being a piratey thing, unless particularly up on real pirates like Blackbeard, etc.  Or, I suppose, if they'd seen the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (which I kind of hope they haven't at age 5, but you never know!).

#2 - January 31, 2013, 09:59 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
My three year old is. He's been walking around the last couple days with one eye closed going I'm a pirate, arrrr. My five year old kindergartner also definitely knows what a pirate is.  :pirate The five year old has the boy La La Loopsy that's dressed like a pirate and has the eye patch and the parrot. And he knows about pirate treasure.
#3 - January 31, 2013, 10:04 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

My three- and four-year-old nephews are obsessed with pirates, thanks largely to Jake and the Neverland Pirates (and other pirate toys). They definitely know about some accessories -- ships, parrots, peg-leg, skull and crossbones, treasure, and hook. They have mentioned these things when "playing pirates." They could recognize a pirate upon sight. I don't think they understand "deck."
#4 - January 31, 2013, 11:52 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I think Jake and the Never Land Pirates is the top-rated kids' show for preschoolers now. Any kid with Disney Channel will know pirates.
#5 - January 31, 2013, 11:53 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

That's what I expected to hear. Thank you very much!
#6 - January 31, 2013, 03:08 PM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

Members: