SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Highlights - thank you note

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Highlights published one of my stories in their Feb 2013 issue. I would like to send Highlights a thank you note.

Who should I send it to though? I was thinking JD (fiction editor)? I had subbed the story to her, but the letter with my proofs said to email JB (Highlights editor) with questions. I did email JB before publication and she forwarded my questions to JD. Or should I sent one to both?

Also, do you usually type or handwrite your thank you note?

Thank you for your help! It's my first pub with them so I'm not quite sure what to do.

#1 - February 01, 2013, 07:42 AM
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:53 AM by Starfish »
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019) And more in 2020-2021

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Congratulations! I'd just cash the check ... LOL.
I do send Christmas cards to my editors and I'm sure they will enjoy yours. I always handwrite because I'm old-fashioned.
vijaya
#2 - February 01, 2013, 07:57 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thanks, Vijaya! Lol, yes I cashed the check. But more importantly mailed the contract the very next day before they could change their mind. Should I send a thank you to each editor though?

Btw, my story actually featured an Indian-American MC. Based on my experiences as a first generation Indian-American trying to communicate with relatives back in India... I didn't know Hindi and my grandparents didn't speak English.
#3 - February 01, 2013, 10:09 AM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019) And more in 2020-2021

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
My kids have secreted the Highlights -- must ask to see it and read your story! Laughing about the communication mishaps you must've had. My grandmother chided *my mother* on my very poor Marathi (I only spoke proper Hindi and English). Of course, she understood everything I said, but you know how mothers can be sometimes ...

I'd send one card -- they pass these around! It's always so exciting to have a story in print and Highlights folks are just super to work with. Even though we exchange emails sometimes, I like sending cards. And you'll get a Christmas card too!

Vijaya
#4 - February 01, 2013, 10:54 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
 Well, at least you spoke proper Hindi. My Hindi was so bad my cousins asked me to speak only English. Ouch. I was thinking of improving my Hindi by getting Rosetta Stone. Do you know anyone who has used it and if they like it?
#5 - February 02, 2013, 01:19 PM
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 01:21 PM by Starfish »
Anita N. Amin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
We use Rosetta Stone now at school to help our incoming Spanish-speaking kids learn English faster. I just wish it wasn't so expensive because I'd love to improve my Spanish and learn French and Dutch as well. 

By the way Starfish, your experience reminded me of my nephew. His mother is Korean and I practically begged her to speak only Korean to Aaron at home, since he'd hear only English everywhere else. She was too anxious to Americanize, so didn't do it. But when she took Aaron to Korea to see her family when he was 9 or 10, he couldn't talk with most of the family. So frustrating for him!!
#6 - February 02, 2013, 02:13 PM
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Starfish, the best way to learn is to find some good Indian friends -- they'll feed you too!
Vijaya
#7 - February 02, 2013, 04:15 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
 Vijaya,  I wish we had a "like" button on the boards for posts like yours above.  :)
#8 - February 03, 2013, 06:24 PM
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
:)