SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Newbie Illustrator (Feeling a bit like an imposter)

Discussion started on

I've been a Blueboarder as a writer for a few years now, but I wanted to say "hey" and introduce myself as a newbie illustrator.  I started writing picture books 4 years ago. I've won some notable awards and even signed with an agent this past fall. It's all been quite an amazing ride so far.  This month I've finally throwing away my fear of being an author/illustrator (Ok, so I'm still really scared of failure, but at least I'm going for it).  Quite honoestly, I just started drawing... My first sketch was just two weeks ago, but I think I may be onto something here. Above all, it feels really good to do and I'm inspired to learn and practice and be my best.

So *clink*... here's to joining the illustrator community here on the Blueboards and I look forward to learning a lot from you all!   :yay

#1 - February 02, 2013, 07:15 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Welcome, illustrator Jenni. And good for you for pursuing another creative talent.
#2 - February 02, 2013, 08:45 PM
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Yay Jenni! Congrats on this! I started in this with art mainly and then switched focus to writing. Hoping someday to get back to my dusty art supplies!  :)
#3 - February 02, 2013, 09:55 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Me three! I started out wanting to write and illustrate a few years ago.  :ha I put my portfolio out in the L.A. conference showcase. I was shiny new and had much to learn. In great anticipation, I was one of the first to get downstairs. When I went down later and checked out all the work (gasps and awes), I decided to focus on writing.

It took a few  nudges from some of my great friends to urge me to try once more. And after years, I'm satisfied with my work where it stands now.

Welcome Jenni. You're much further on your journey and it's awesome that you are setting forth to conquer  more. :oncomputer :paint
#4 - February 03, 2013, 09:29 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Welcome Jenni!!  :paint
#5 - February 03, 2013, 09:47 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
 :wow Jenni! That is so exciting! Congrats on taking the plunge!  :yay
#6 - February 03, 2013, 09:49 AM

Thanks everyone! I love this community so much and am excited to be sharing my new illustrator (and not quite as new writing) journey with you all.   :grouphug2:

#7 - February 03, 2013, 07:24 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I think if you are eager to learn and develop your illustrating style, that's the most important thing!  GOOD LUCK!
#8 - February 04, 2013, 06:25 AM

I was once the boy who wouldn't sit still!
Member.
Poster Plus
I looked at your site and see that you are learning to draw faces. There are also tons of books on drawing at art supplies stores. I am also an illustrator. Glad to see that you are giving illustration a try. Good luck and keep moving forward.
#9 - February 07, 2013, 06:32 PM

OddBerryCreations

Yay!!! I love having more illustration family.  :yeah :yeah :yeah
#10 - February 14, 2013, 02:17 PM

Hi Jeni!!! and welcome to the illustrator's world!..please don't hesitate to ask questions about anything we're here to give you a helping hand..and not just the hand..you can take the whole arm..lol!!

:grouphug2:
#11 - February 18, 2013, 11:02 PM

Jen, if what I saw on your blog is you "learning to sketch" then the rest of us illustrators should watch out. My original drawings were bad. just. plain. bad. You have recognizable faces, which are among the hardest things to draw! Keep drawing but don't feel bad if you don't draw. Break times are good to!

Maybe one day this illustrator will take the plunge and become a writer!
#12 - February 20, 2013, 08:13 PM

You guys are so awesome. Thank you so very much for all your encouragement.  Yes, I've never really tried to draw before last month.  I kept thinking about it but never did. I can't tell you what a liberating feeling it is to start doing something that I've always considered impossible. 

Thanks for welcoming me into the community everyone!

#13 - February 21, 2013, 10:57 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Wow! really nice sketches, Jenni!
#14 - February 21, 2013, 11:01 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Writer & illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Welcome, Jenni! Nice sketches. As nightengail said, keep on drawing. I'm relatively new to pro illustrating and have really found that constant practice (and experimentation) is a huge help.

Good luck!
#15 - February 22, 2013, 08:12 AM
DebbieOhi.com - Twitter: @inkyelbows - Instagram: @inkygirl

stacebee

Welcome to the family Jenni !   :grin3
#16 - February 22, 2013, 09:34 PM

Welcome, Jenni! Nice sketches. As nightengail said, keep on drawing. I'm relatively new to pro illustrating and have really found that constant practice (and experimentation) is a huge help.

Thanks Debbie. It's funny... I've typically read picture books and studied the style of writing. Now I have to go back and re-read all those great books to study their style of art.  There are so many different directions that artists take things. It's pretty exciting to "discover" things in a whole new light.
#17 - February 27, 2013, 02:48 PM

Members: