SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Question for Anyone Published by Fun For Kidz

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
In 2011, I had a story accepted by Fun For Kidz magazine that is supposed to be published later this year. I received the acceptance letter along with instructions to email my manuscript which I did.

I haven't heard anything else or signed any type of contract. Is this normal or should I have heard something else by now?

Thanks,
Stacy
#1 - February 03, 2013, 11:36 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I got comp. copies and a check within weeks of each other. You're right -- I don't remember signing any contract. Just email. But they are a lovely group and publish wonderful material for kids -- I like that there are no ads and age appropriate.

Congragulations!
Vijaya
#2 - February 03, 2013, 11:42 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
Thanks, Vijaya! It makes me feel better to know I didn't let something slip through the cracks. I'm looking forward to seeing my story in their magazine and feel blessed to have something accepted by them.

Thanks again!!
Stacy   :flowers2
#3 - February 03, 2013, 11:50 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Stacy, they don't have contracts, but they do always ask for written confirmation that you want your piece published with them.  They used to expect you to write that.  The instructions said, "Please drop us a note at the address on the front to confirm you wish your article to be published."

They now send a letter which says, "Please respond that you want your manuscript published in this issue by signing this letter and sending a copy back to [address]."

If you emailed your ms, that may be enough, but I think they want the confirmation in writing.  If you didn't ever send that, then you might want to check with them that everything is in order for your piece to be published.

And, yes, I agree with Vijaya--they're a wonderful group to work with and produce three fun magazines for kids.
#4 - February 03, 2013, 06:06 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Thanks, Ev! I don't recall sending anything to them in writing, but I'll double check my file to see if I need to follow-up with them now.

Thanks for your help!

Stacy :flowers2
#5 - February 04, 2013, 08:21 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
And I meant to say--

Congratulations on your acceptance, Stacy!  :goldstar Please let us know when your piece is in print and we'll celebrate with you.
#6 - February 04, 2013, 01:35 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Will do, Ev! And thanks again for your help.  :love5:
#7 - February 04, 2013, 05:06 PM

Members: