SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Must Have picturebooks?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
Can you tell me what your Must Have picturebooks are? I have a very short list of remembered favourites-- Jamberry; Guess How Much I Love You; Instructions; Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?; Home for a Bunny.  What else would you add as essential for the baby-3 yrs range?

(Dear Admin, if this is the wrong place, pls move it. I wasn't sure where else to put it.)
#1 - February 09, 2013, 09:00 AM

Mike Jung

Depends on the child, of course, but for starters I'd consider Goodnight Moon, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Office Buckle and Gloria, The Missing Piece, pretty much anything by Leo Lionni, and (among books of more recent vintage) The Quiet Book and All the World.
#2 - February 09, 2013, 09:19 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
All of Salina Yoon's books. :) (She creates amazing concept and board books, in addition to picture books).

On the older end of the range (older 2s and 3s), Mo Willem's Pigeon books are a HUGE hit.

And Jean Reidy's books. The kids in my preschool class cannot get enough of Too Purpley!
#3 - February 09, 2013, 09:33 AM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

Mike Jung

Oh, Antoinette Portis! She has a bunch of books out there, but NOT A BOX, NOT A STICK, and A PENGUIN STORY are my kids' favorites.
#4 - February 09, 2013, 09:39 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
My little ones love Sandra Boynton's board books at bedtime...and yes to Salina's books!! And Mercer Mayer's Little Critter books are a favorite.
#5 - February 09, 2013, 09:53 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
I love EVERYWHERE BABIES in the board book edition. So very sweet, and babies lurrrve looking at other babies!

Also I love EACH PEACH PEAR PLUM and ORANGE PEAR APPLE BEAR. (totally unrelated to one another, though the titles sound alike!)
#6 - February 09, 2013, 10:31 AM
twitter: @literaticat
ask the agent: http://literaticat.tumblr.com/ask

Z-cat

Ooh, really good suggestions already!
I have most of these. (Anyone else buy picturebooks even when they don't have a pb age child? I do!)

Ones we loved when my son was little-er -

Henry Works, Henry Builds a Cabin, (there might be other Henry books, too) by D.B. Johnson
The Sea Serpent and Me by Dashka Slater, Ill. Catia Chien
William and the Night Train, by Mij Kelly, Ill. Alison Jay
Cars, Trucks, Trains and/or Airplanes, by Patricia Hubbell, Ill. Megan Halsey
Beware the Storybook Wolves, by Lauren Child.
#7 - February 09, 2013, 10:40 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Tana Hoban's photographic books.  We adored OF COLORS AND THINGS.  There is so much for a little guy to look at. 
#8 - February 09, 2013, 10:43 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I was going to say EVERYWHERE BABIES and Sandra Boynton books too. Also GOODNIGHT GORILLA. CARS AND TRUCKS AND THINGS THAT GO by Richard Scarry. YUMMY YUCKY and others by Leslie Petricelli.
#9 - February 09, 2013, 11:02 AM

Poster Plus
You guys are awesome :)  I'm steadily trying to pre-build a library. Right now, he's only 8 weeks old, so I read poetry to him. Soon, though, he'll be bigger & bigger, & then we need books with pictures.  Thanks for input to help me get started.  My next youngest is going to be 15 this year, so it's been a while since I knew what PBs worked.  I bought some for my now-7 yr old niece, but her taste was (& is) pretty . . . sparkly.
#10 - February 09, 2013, 11:12 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Aw, shucks, LaHa!  :embarrassed2

For babies and tots, I love Eric Carle's books, Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell, board books by Donald Crews, PB's and board books by Lois Ehlert, touch and feel books by Matthew Van Fleet...

My rec for a special gift book in honor of baby would be: On the Day You Were Born, by Debra Frasier.

Too many good books out there to list!
#11 - February 09, 2013, 11:17 AM

JAZZ BABY by Lisa Wheeler is one of my favorites.
#12 - February 09, 2013, 11:50 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Melissa, I hate to confess this, but my babies didn't mind me reading The Economist or Scientific American aloud at all ;) but by the time they were 6-8 mo old, they were rolling around and handing me the books they wanted me to read to them ...

Faves: Eric Carle, Lio Lioni, Rosemary Wells, Maurice Sendak, and photograph books of baby animals, flowers, babies, butterflies, and we could never have enough cars and trucks.

They esp. loved any type of peek-a-boo type book, chewable books, and homemade books about our family (I used photos).
Enjoy your little one.
Vijaya
#13 - February 09, 2013, 12:55 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Anything involving Marla Frazee or Helen Oxenbury!

Where the Wild Things Are
Lots of Dr. Seuss, like Hop on Pop or One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al Perkins (it has very fabulous rhythm)
Alexandra Day's Good Dog, Carl books
Anything by Peter Sis (he has older ones but also really simple younger ones, like Fire Truck, that get a lot of interest at our house)

Um...to echo Vijaya, I did my share of reading second language acquisition articles aloud, too. Eventually, though, they started having opinions of their own... :)
#14 - February 09, 2013, 12:59 PM

Mike Jung

Ah, you can't go wrong with the Boynton. Anne Marie's VAMPIRINA BALLERINA is a winner too!
#15 - February 09, 2013, 01:12 PM

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
THE GREAT GRACIE CHASE by Cynthia Rylant and illustrated by Mark Teague. I LOVE this book. CR is a wonderful writer, and MT is an amazing illustrator. The expressions on Gracie's face throughout the book make it worth it just by themselves.

Anything by Sandra Boynton (there are tons to choose from, so you can pick what you will find fun to read - three of my favorites are MOO, BAA, LA LA LA! - BARNYARD DANCE - BUT NOT THE HIPPOPOTAMUS). Most of hers are board books.

I second ORANGE PEAR APPLE BEAR. It's so simple, and yet there's something really magical about this book. I think I saw this as a board book too. I like the larger PB format, but would work as a board book too.

I also second GOODNIGHT, GORILLA by Peggy Rathman. It's wonderful! Wordless, but you can discover new things in the art each time you read it.

HAROLD AND THE PURPLE CRAYON by Crockett Johnson - for the imagination! You can also get a board book version of this. A newer book with a similar idea that I love is one Mike suggested: NOT A BOX by Antoinette Portis.

Have fun building your library, Melissa!
#16 - February 09, 2013, 01:13 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc

In addition to all the fabulous ones already mentioned, my sons loved Sandra Boynton's RED HAT BLUE HAT  and THE LITTLE MOUSE, THE RED RIPE STRAWBERRY, AND THE BIG HUNGRY BEAR by Don and Audrey Wood.
#17 - February 09, 2013, 01:42 PM
GRAVE IMAGES, Scholastic Press 2013
FOREMAN FARLEY, Grosset & Dunlap 2014

www.jennygoebel.com

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
"Down by the Cool of the Pool" by Tony Mitton,

"Pog and the Birdies" by  Jane Simmons,

"Some Dogs Do" by Jez Alborough,

"The Quiet Book" by Deborah Underwood, and

"Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes" by Mem Fox.
#18 - February 09, 2013, 01:53 PM
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
How about a book with nursery rhymes? I don't know of good picture book versions, but I'll bet others could suggest some.
#19 - February 09, 2013, 02:09 PM

I second VAMPIRINA BALLERINA. And I'd add Linda Urban's MOUSE WAS MAD, and Kristy Dempsey's ME WITH YOU and SURFER CHICK.
#20 - February 09, 2013, 04:43 PM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Hmm, are these essential books for a picture book writer/illustrator, or essential books for a baby-3 year old? Because the two lists wouldn't be identical for me. Some of the books my kids loved I, um, didn't. And some classic must-haves were rejected by my kids!

The picture books we read time and time again during those very early years (that I didn't want to hide under the sofa) were:

Dr Seuss's MR BROWN CAN MOO
THE GRUFFALO by Julia Donaldson (and also MONKEY PUZZLE)
QUIET! by Paul Bright and Guy Parker-Rees
HUSH, LITTLE DRAGON by Boni Ashburn
Salina Yoon's APPLES, APPLES! (She'll hate me for that, but it's the truth... I do love PENGUIN AND PINECONE but that wasn't around when my daughter was under 3.)

Basically, the books that were big hits usually rhymed and/or allowed for good read-aloud (ie had fun sounds to say, or the writing easily allowed me to put on good voices).

But if you're asking which books are essential for someone who's trying to write for that age group, I probably wouldn't include Dr Seuss, for example. He's genius, of course, but there are other authors/illustrators whose work is easier to learn from.
#21 - February 09, 2013, 05:20 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
I'm looking through my collection for some that haven't been mentioned already. Let's see, for the young ones I have the Llama Llama books by Anna Dewdney, the Sam books by Amy Hest, Kevin Henkes Kitten's First Full Moon and his others as well, Laura Thompson's Little Quack books and Audrey Penn's The Kissing Hand. Too many more, but I hope these help. Oh and Laura Numeroff books.
#22 - February 09, 2013, 08:56 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
...and Beatrix Potter!
#23 - February 09, 2013, 09:00 PM

Poster Plus
Thank you for the continued ideas! I'll be able to build him a great libraries w the old favourites you've suggested & new ones I'd not read.

Hmm, are these essential books for a picture book writer/illustrator, or essential books for a baby-3 year old?

These are for me to read to my son :)  A lot of the books on the list are making me go "oh, I remember that!" (Boynton, Cars & Trucks & THings That Go, Numeroff, frex), but it's been 14 years since I had a wee one, & my memory for titles & authors for this age wasn't doing me any favours--esp as sleep is a rare thing, so I'm pretty sure my brain isn't running at 100% ;)

Ah, you can't go wrong with the Boynton. Anne Marie's VAMPIRINA BALLERINA is a winner too!

Agreed on Boynton . . . but, umm, I bought Anne Marie's book for myself (& eventually the daughter I hope to adopt next).
#24 - February 10, 2013, 07:08 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Agreed on Boynton . . . but, umm, I bought Anne Marie's book for myself (& eventually the daughter I hope to adopt next).

Aw, shucks, y'all.  I appreciate the support, Melissa, Mike and KatyD!
#25 - February 10, 2013, 08:47 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

davidbrown

I will extend even more love to Goodnight Gorilla. It is my default gift for first time parents.

Another classic is Where Is Baby's Bellybutton? All kids love that.
#26 - February 11, 2013, 08:52 AM

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
My 9-month old son loves BARNYARD DANCE and MOO, BAA, LA-LA-LA by Sandra Boynton (seriously, loooooves--I have them memorized now and if we're out somewhere and he's fussy, reciting them is sure to bring a smile to his face). He also really likes CLICK, CLACK, MOO: COWS THAT TYPE; IS YOUR MAMA A LLAMA; ALL THE WORLD;  THAT'S NOT MY PUPPY! (there are others in this board book series);   THE MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS BOOK; HAIKU BABY; and a soft book with flaps called FIND THE FROG. I know there are more that he really likes too, but these are the first that come to mind.

There are dozens more that I really like but he hasn't connected with yet, but I keep pulling them out and trying them. They grow and develop so quickly--something that is lost on him one week becomes his new favorite the next.
#27 - February 11, 2013, 01:33 PM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Mike Jung

To continue with PBs of recent vintage, my 2-year-old looooooves GOOD NIGHT, GOOD NIGHT, CONSTRUCTION SITE and IT'S A TIGER. And we've recently rediscovered IN A BLUE ROOM, which is incidentally one of the books I bought at my first ever SCBWI conference and therefore has other pleasant associations for me too.
#28 - February 11, 2013, 02:03 PM

The ones I always buy for friends/sell to customers:

"Goodnight, Gorilla"
"Oliver Finds His Way" by Root
"The Waterhole" by Graeme Base
"Orange, Pear, Apple, Bear" by Gravett
Ms. Jay's ABC book (gorgeous art)
"Olivia" by Falconer

I have also gotten my nieces and other children, when they were closer to 3:
"The Library Lion"
"Wink: The Ninja Who Wanted to Be Noticed"
and one of my very favorites for this year: "Dangerously Ever After"

Holly
#29 - February 11, 2013, 02:16 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
All of Salina Yoon's books. :) (She creates amazing concept and board books, in addition to picture books).

On the older end of the range (older 2s and 3s), Mo Willem's Pigeon books are a HUGE hit.

And Jean Reidy's books. The kids in my preschool class cannot get enough of Too Purpley!

AWWWW! Thanks for mentioning this, Larissa!
My two cents:
All of the above. And let's not forget PRESS HERE. Has that been mentioned yet? Kid love this book - especially as a read-aloud.
Jean
#30 - February 11, 2013, 02:24 PM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Pup 681, Truman, When the Snow is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Specs and Specs II.
Others at www.jeanreidy.com

Members: