SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Chapter Breaks?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
I'm currently reading Charlotte's Web to my 3yo and Magic Tree House with my 6yo. It's fascinating to see how differently EB White and Mary Pope Osborn handle chapter breaks.

I'm getting ready to divide my WIP into chapters, and I'm trying to decide whether to give each chapter a defined beginning/middle/end, or to have each chapter progress the story a bit and end with a cliffhanger.

Thoughts/advice/hellllp?

:thankyou
#1 - February 16, 2013, 08:05 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Hi Rae!

I love this post from Mary Kole: http://kidlit.com/2012/03/26/how-to-button-a-chapter/ and also the one linked to at the end of it, the one about white space.

:)
#2 - February 16, 2013, 01:05 PM
A RAMBLER STEALS HOME, HMH 2016
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR A TREEHOUSE; THIS IS NOT A VALENTINE, Chronicle 2017
designofthepicturebook.com
@carterhiggins

Member.
Poster Plus
Thanks, Carter! That was exactly what I needed to read!

I've always added the breaks while writing, but I thought it might be easier to keep myself going if I waited until the ms was done. Now I'm staring at all these words, and what is usually natural seems terrifying.  :shame

It hit me last night how tidy White's chapters are and how quietly they end. We were reading "The Last Day" and poor Charlotte just died, but even that was done without huge cliffhanger or suspense -- Wilbur realized she was ill at the beginning of the chapter and she died at the end -- but the story is so perfect that there is no doubt the reader will turn the page.

Time to stop procrastinating and :oncomputer so I have a ms to mess around with!

#3 - February 16, 2013, 01:55 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
What?! Charlotte dies?!

Just kidding. I adore that book.

Good luck today...I am doing the same thing!
#4 - February 16, 2013, 02:55 PM
A RAMBLER STEALS HOME, HMH 2016
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR A TREEHOUSE; THIS IS NOT A VALENTINE, Chronicle 2017
designofthepicturebook.com
@carterhiggins

Members: