SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

2013 Barbara Karlin Email Sub

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
This is a tech question.  The Barbara Karlin Grant is now an email submission.  When I click on the application, I'm not able to type in my responses and save.  So I guess I can print it, hand-write in my responses, scan, then save as a PDF.  Is there an easier way? 
#1 - February 16, 2013, 10:31 AM
You must be mad, said the Cheshire Cat, or you wouldn't have come here. -- Lewis Carroll

I had the same question, Rachel, and a helpful friend sent me a link to a free app for merging separate documents into a PDF file. (From what I understand, you can do it with Adobe Acrobat Standard or Professional, but they're not free.) As far as the application form itself, the only alternative I've found to handwriting it is to type in your answers, print the form, scan it, and then save it as a PDF to merge with the rest.

Here's the link to the free PDF software:
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/958-pdf-creator-merging-multiple-pdf-files-into-a-single-file

Hope this helps! And I'd love any other tech-minded writers' input for easier alternatives.

#2 - February 16, 2013, 10:47 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
When I filled out the work in progress grant I had the same problem.  As I seem to recall, you can save it as a PDF then edit it and hit a button to "sign" or "add signature" or something and that allows you to fill in the spaces.  I remember having to hit lots of buttons and play with it to get it to find what I needed and make it work.  Sorry I'm not more help.  I'm not a techie. 
#3 - February 16, 2013, 11:04 AM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
RebeccaL-G,  :laugh "hit lots of buttons" that sounds like the advice I usually give out. 

Thanks, LeslieG.  I will check into that ap.  I'm not sure I understand, but I will try.   ::-)

#4 - February 16, 2013, 11:13 AM
You must be mad, said the Cheshire Cat, or you wouldn't have come here. -- Lewis Carroll

I just copied and pasted the application into a Word doc, typed in my info, and the re-saved as a PDF.
#5 - February 16, 2013, 02:32 PM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

bj

Ooh, that sounds like a good idea, Kady.
#6 - March 19, 2013, 11:12 AM

bj

sorry KatyD :)
#7 - March 19, 2013, 11:13 AM

bj

I'm also wondering what they are looking for in terms of career summary - just writing related or entire career history? I'm inclined to just think writing career.
#8 - March 19, 2013, 11:14 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Yes, just stuff related to writing. And don't worry if you don't have much to say. The judges are focused on how awesome your story is! Good luck! :goodluck
#9 - March 19, 2013, 03:17 PM
FIVE SHORT SECONDS
SAYA AT SPEED
RULES OF THE GAME
TEST CASES
TWISTER RESISTERS
CRASH COURSE
Heinemann, Fall 2013

Members: