Discussion started on

Children's Illustrator / Author
Member.
Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi everyone,

As most of us know, more and more art directors are asking illustrators to keep them updated via email, rather then the quarterly snail mail post cards.  So, as I'm getting ready to mail out my quarterlly post cards, I'm wondering what is the best way to send a promo email?   In my initial emails to art directors, I send a a jpeg of my 8 x 10" promo piece (jpeg, 100 dpi).  or more depending on their guidelines, along with a link to my portfolio and blog. 
  For some art directors, in my email follow ups, I just send them a little update note, along with an attached jpeg or two of my lastest promo piece / post card and so far they seem okay with it. 
 However... is there a better or proper way to send a promo email? 
It would be interesting to see how other illustrators are sending promo emails - and do any art directors have suggestions on what they like to see in the follow up promo emails?
  Thanks in advance for any thoughts... :snowman2
#1 - February 25, 2013, 05:08 PM

Illustrator / Artist
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Great questions Christine.
I'm not an AD and I have no inside information. My experience, and my guess, is that unfortunately there is no one best way to email that will please (and hopefully not irritate) every AD. One thing that I think is pretty universal is that if you are going to send an image make it as small a file as possible. For online viewing anything above 72 dpi won't look any better. Send a .jpg that is "saved for web" optimized to make the file as small as possible. Wasting an AD's time by making them wait for a large file to come in seems a sure way to start off that working relationship on the wrong foot.
#2 - February 28, 2013, 09:15 AM

Children's Illustrator / Author
Member.
Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
 Steve   - you made a good point - as I usually do send a web sized jpeg - around 72 dpi - 100 dpi the most, in case the AD mentions they make prints of the samples.  Also - I do try to keep the sample post card sized at 6 x 4 or 7 x 5" the most - 8 x 10 if they want full page size. 
  Either way  - I always follow the guidelines, but, sometimes file sizes or formats are not specified, so I try to guess and stay as standard as I can...  and keep fingers crossed.

Thanks for the thoughts...
#3 - February 28, 2013, 11:14 AM

Christine,

I'm actually going through that learning process right now. I haven't done a lot of research since my website platform uses exactly one newsletter service: MailChimp. So far I've created an account (free until you have 2,000 people on your mailing list) and gone through the preliminary steps of setting up a mailing list. They're pretty user friendly and good at explaining things that are required based on laws and regulations, such as requiring a mailing address to appear on the sign up forms and at the bottom of all the newsletters and having an opt-out button for whenever people want to stop receiving your newsletter. I have rented a P.O. Box to avoid using my personal address on the newsletter and I've created a header for the newsletter signup page, but I haven't gotten any further than that so far. I'll update when I get further in the process, but I don't know when I'll get to it.

The one catch so far is that people do have to sign up for the newsletter. You can't import existing contacts of friends, family, artists, AD's, etc...
#4 - March 07, 2013, 05:42 PM

Members: