SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

How often should a ten-year-old boy replace his sneakers?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
This is actually a real life question, too! My husband and I are debating whether my son wear's his shoes out too quickly or not.

Thanks!

#1 - March 02, 2013, 11:02 PM

Erika David
Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Abigail, obviously it depends on whether your son is going through a growth spurt, how much wear-and-tear the shoes receive, and whether or not you can afford to replace them as needed. But if I had to guess, I'd say at least a couple times a year.
#2 - March 03, 2013, 05:41 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I agree with Taylor. When my son was 10, he'd go through his everyday shoes about every six months, mostly because of wear and tear. He was an active kid, and he rarely wore anything else on his feet. Plus, how else are you going to stop your bike?
#3 - March 03, 2013, 05:45 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
My 10yo son seems to get new sneakers with every sport season, say four months? But, except for the cleats, he wears sneakers nonstop.

Don't even get me started on socks. How he gets holes in them after just a week I'll never know......
#4 - March 03, 2013, 05:53 AM

Poster Plus
According to the family runner, sneakers "expire" after 350-400 miles. (She gets new ones every 12-16 weeks.) You can look at the bottoms & see if the tread is worn (kinda like tires on the car). Worn tread means the shoes aren't properly level or balanced which can cause joint issues both in kids & adults. So it depends on mileage in the shoes in addition to the obvious outgrowing them issues.

#5 - March 03, 2013, 07:04 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
I'm with the group -- my son needs new sneakers every 4-6 months. It depends partly on the season and what sport it is. Cleats and basketball shoes cut down the wear and tear during seasons when he wears those so it is more like 6 months. Track or cross country can shorted the time down to four. When the toe breaks through the end or the soles are worn through, it is definitely time :).
#6 - March 03, 2013, 07:23 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Thanks! I win! :)

(No worries, Husband is a very good sport and is used to me saying, "well, on Verlakay, they all say...")

#7 - March 03, 2013, 09:52 PM

After Melissa's answer, I'm realizing that I haven't replaced my running shoes since my first daughter was born and she is 12. No wonder my legs hurt! :)
PS I replace my 12 year old's shoes when they start smelling so bad I can't handle it, or they are too short - every 6 months sounds about right.
#8 - March 03, 2013, 11:38 PM
Robin

It drives me nuts how fast shoes wear out these days. I still have the same Nike's I got for grade 7, like, 25 years ago. Obviously I'm not a big athlete, but they're still in good shape and I do wear them fairly regularly.

These days it doesn't seem to matter how much you spend on shoes (especially for kids), they all wear out super fast.  :pullhair:
#9 - March 04, 2013, 11:32 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
(Mods, I don't know if it's okay to do a plug here -- I'm not affiliated with the company.)

LL BEAN! They replace anything that wears out for the cost of return shipping. Their shoes (and backpacks, which my kids are harder on than their shoes) have been lifesavers for us and our checkbook.
#10 - March 04, 2013, 11:46 AM

In Real Life, Tuttle Publishing, Fall 2014

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
6 months for my son. But it wasn't just because they were worn. He was out growing them too.
#12 - March 04, 2013, 02:32 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Abigail, I'm laughing ... about the collective wisdom here. On VerlaKay's ... So true.
Yup, it's 4-6 mo for us too, my kids run around and bike and do sports so they wear out quickly.

Rae, I didn't know this about LLBean. Must check them out. It could be a lifesaver for us as well.
Thank you.

Vijaya
#13 - March 04, 2013, 03:13 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region arizona
ROFL. I'm pretty sure there is no set time in which a 10 year-old wears out anything. Unless you think he's deliberately wearing them out to get some new style, the shoes are worn out when they're worn out. If he's an active kid he's going to wear his shoes out faster than a child parked in front of the tv or a video game console.
#14 - March 04, 2013, 09:22 PM
Regional Advisor Emeritus

www.bobimartin.com
Organisms That Glow
Theme Parks
What Are Gems?

Member.
Poster Plus
Wow, I'll definitely check out LL Bean shoes - I knew they replaced stuff that wore out, but shoes seemed like a different beast.

Thanks again all!
#15 - March 05, 2013, 09:05 PM

Members: