SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Dummy pdf formatting issues

Discussion started on

Iceartist

I've made my dummy into a pdf. Here's the problem: if I tell it to make spreads, it puts the cover on a left hand page & inserts a blank right hand page beside it. (I'm using Quark's "convert to pdf file")

I've looked everywhere, tried some different things, can't get it to format right.

SO--is it worse to send with the cover on the left w/ blank page on the right, which makes it look unprofessional?

OR to send it formatted to single pages instead of spreads, which also looks unprofessional?

OY. I'd switch it over to InDesign, but I've read it has the same issue. What do y'all think?
#1 - March 05, 2013, 04:04 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Hi Iceartist!

Try this: Don't tell Quark to make spreads. When you're on Acrobat, do this:

Click on your document (so you're on Acrobat) and then go to your menu. Go to VIEW. Then find PAGE DISPLAY. Check  TWO PAGE VIEW. And also check SHOW COVER PAGE IN TWO PAGE VIEW.  (When I say "check," I mean click on it so it makes a check beside the bolded words here.) Let me know if that worked!  But unfortunately, this formatting doesn't necessarily save for the next viewer. Sometimes I include these instructions along with my PDF so it is being viewed properly (with the cover as a single page, and then double-page spreads for the interior, ending with a single page for the backcover)

I shouldn't be here. In massive art-file prep mode... so I gotta run! Good luck!  :whitebunny

#2 - March 05, 2013, 04:16 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • SCBWI PAL
I just tried it in InDesign and it made the PDFs of my first and last page display as single pages with the rest displayed as spreads. (Using File>export and checking the spreads box). Hope it works for you!
#3 - March 05, 2013, 05:16 PM
www.susanrobinsonart.com
robinsonillustration.com

Iceartist

Thanks SYoon, you rock!!

Good luck w/ your deadline--you can do it!! Coffee & loud music.....been there!
#4 - March 05, 2013, 05:27 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
SGR is right. I create mine from InDesign and export into a PDF. But still... I have to do the Acrobat formatting as I advised above if I want to display it correctly. I've downloaded publisher's catalogs, and if I don't set the page display, it'll just show one page at a time. If I adjust the Page View settings (as above), it'll display it just right: Cover first, then double-page spreads for interiors.

I hope it works for you, Iceartist,... and good luck with that dummy!  ;)
#5 - March 05, 2013, 05:42 PM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
I use the "blank" page as my contact information page with what would normally appear on the cover page of a written manuscript.

Alternatively, I include a blank page with the words "This page intentionally left blank" on it.

Another option is to set up your files in two documents. One for the cover and one for interior spreads.

Good luck with your dummy!
#6 - March 06, 2013, 06:05 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Iceartist

Those are also good ideas Lyon. I imagine they must see dummies coming in like that all the time & be used to it. (at least, I hope so!)
#7 - March 07, 2013, 06:40 PM

Members: