SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Curriculum details

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
This is probably a question that has an easy answer but I don't know it! Where can I find a detailed breakdown of what school children learn in Kindergarten up to fourth grade? Or is that something that only teachers have access to?

Thank you!
#1 - March 07, 2013, 06:41 AM

I've done this quite a bit when doing classroom scenes. I just google the grade and subject and always find tons of stuff. For example if my characters in seventh grade and I want to know what they'd be doing in science class, I just google "seventh grade science" and find stuff for a bunch of different states. Easy peasy. (At least, for purposes of giving a very sketchy description of the lesson plan).
#2 - March 07, 2013, 06:49 AM

aodle

This depends on the state in which you live.  I am a teacher in Illinois and our state standards are on our state's website:  www.isbe.net

That being said, we are now incorporating new Common Core standards, which I believe many states are now adopting.  These can be found here:   www.corestandards.org

Hope this helps!
#3 - March 07, 2013, 06:52 AM

What aodle said - Each state has a Department of Public Instruction that will list curriculum guidelines.
#4 - March 07, 2013, 10:29 AM
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Excellent. Thank you so much!
#5 - March 07, 2013, 03:12 PM

Members: