SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Idiom/Phrase/Saying Site?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I frequently do internet searches for phrases, idioms, or sayings that contain a specific word. Say I want to know all the sayings/phrases/idioms that contain the word "two." Sometimes I find one or two items but never a great big list. I'm wondering if any of you has a go-to site that's helpful with this kind of search.

Thanks in advance!

Jody
#1 - March 09, 2013, 07:12 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Oooh, Jody. Great question.
What about this??
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/
I typed in the word "fish" and got several idioms using that word. Let me know what you think.
Jean
#2 - March 09, 2013, 07:25 AM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Pup 681, Truman, When the Snow is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Specs and Specs II.
Others at www.jeanreidy.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Yay, Jean! This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for! I wonder if there are more sites like this. Thanks!
#3 - March 09, 2013, 07:38 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Oh good. I'm glad it might work. I simply Googled "idiom" and that's what I got.
There's also this one
http://www.idiomsite.com/
It's alphabetical by the first word of the phrase, so it's not really what you're looking for.
I'm sure you can find others.
Jean
#4 - March 09, 2013, 07:43 AM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Pup 681, Truman, When the Snow is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Specs and Specs II.
Others at www.jeanreidy.com

Members: