SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Research and Permissions

Discussion started on

Dionnetales

I am preparing a historical fiction manuscript.  I would like to style or format by book (self-publishing) as in the American Girl series, where they include photographs and facts from the time period in the endnotes/glossary.  There are many photographs available online, but those photographs have been seen a million times over in every form of media.  Recently, a local reporter in my city made a discovery about a small museum.  It is an individual that has an extensive collection of artifacts that he now calls a museum.  I would like to photograph his artifacts for my book.  I know where the location is, but still haven't found an email, website or telephone number to call ahead of a visit.  As anyone requested permission for research or photograph for a manuscript?
#1 - March 09, 2013, 12:14 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Many times. I'm not sure what your question is. Can you write them?
#2 - March 09, 2013, 02:31 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Children's Book Editor
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Like Ellen, I'm not sure what your question is. General warning: do not formally seek permission BEFORE you have a book contract. In situations like this, let the individual or organization or museum know that you are researching a children's book and that in future you may be back in touch for permission to use an image.
#3 - March 09, 2013, 03:11 PM
Harold Underdown

The Purple Crayon, a children's book editor's site: http://www.underdown.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HUnderdown

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
General warning: do not formally seek permission BEFORE you have a book contract.

Yes, this. Seeking permission includes stating who is going to publish the image, when, and for what purpose. You don't know any of that until you have a contract. What you want to be doing now is locating images that you would be able to use.

As for your own photos, you can take those anytime, provided that's okay with the museum, and provided there is not a fee! You don't want to get into paying for images or permissions before you have a contract, for obvious reasons. Many museums don't allow you to photograph, but you can always speak to this person, discuss your project, and ask.

I'm sorry if I'm misinterpreting your question, but are you asking how to contact this man in advance since you cannot find email, website, etc? Is the collection in his private home, and therefore you can't just go to the "building" and see the hours posted? I'm assuming here that this museum is in your city. How about working through the reporter who wrote about the collection? If the man considers this a museum, I'd think he'd be open to public viewing. Was that info maybe published along with the reporter's article?

I hope this is of some help. :)
#4 - March 09, 2013, 03:39 PM
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:42 PM by mrh »
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
It's not clear from your description what kind of a collection this is. It's hard to imagine a "museum" without some kind of telephone or email access, although I suppose it's possible. Is this a private collector who occasionally allows a viewing by selected members of the public?
#5 - March 09, 2013, 06:06 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Dionnetales

You all have answered my question.  Will not ask until I have a contract.  The "museum" is a private collection inside a business that is related to his collection.  I thought it was odd that was not any contact information on the news station's link.  Your replies have been very helpful.
#6 - March 17, 2013, 08:19 AM

Members: