SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Fantasy novels with 13-year-old protagonists?

Discussion started on

pamelam

Hi, all!

My current WIP has a 13-year-old protagonist and I'm struggling to find other books with similarly aged protagonists to compare voice. Aside from The Prisoner of Azkaban and The Graveyard Book (I think Bod is 14?) I'm pretty stumped. Maybe The Golden Compass? Do you all have any other recommendations for fantasy books with 13-year-old protagonists (or thereabouts)? Male or female protagonist, I'm not picky.

I may be overlooking a lot of obvious ones, and if so I'm sorry--I'm just not having any luck with my searches. Thanks for any help you all might have! :)
#1 - March 12, 2013, 09:21 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Percy Jackson, Rick Riordan
Rick Riordan's Egypt series, The Kane Chronicles
Harry Potter, JK Rowling
Savvy, Ingrid Law (and also Scumble)
Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings, Hélène Boudreau
Linda Archer Buckley's Gideon series (I don't remember the exact ages, but thereabouts)
The Magic Thief, Sarah Prineas (around that age)
MT Anderson's Pals in Peril series (they're in 7th grade, which is when you turn 13)
Plain Kate, Erin Bow (I can't remember the exact age, but it's around there, I think)
Icefall by Matthew J. Kirby MIGHT have a protagonist that age
Geeks, Girls, and Secret Identities, Mike Jung
Splendors and Glooms, Laura Amy Schlitz

A lot of fantasy novels involve kids coming into their powers when they turn 13. Some of these might hit a little low or high, but they are all *around* that age. Um...I'm sure there are more that are obvious, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment...
#2 - March 12, 2013, 09:43 AM

pamelam

Oooh, thank you! I didn't know the Percy Jackson series started at that age, and there are a bunch more here I hadn't heard of. Much appreciated!
#3 - March 12, 2013, 09:46 AM

Mike Jung

Thanks for the shoutout, Rose. :)

Jenn Reese's ABOVE WORLD trilogy features a 13-year old protagonist, as does Kate Milford's THE BONESHAKER. Maya, the MC of Anne Nesbet's THE CABINET OF EARTHS and upcoming A BOX OF GARGOYLES, is 12 but could easily have been 13.
#4 - March 12, 2013, 09:56 AM

Charlotte in Anne Ursu's Cronos Chronicles is, I think, 14 (close enough, right?)
#5 - March 12, 2013, 10:05 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
p.s. to Mike's kind note:  Maya actually turns 13 early in BOX OF GARGOYLES.  An important birthday, as it turns out.

p.p.s. and she was 13 in the ARCs of CABINET OF EARTHS, though 12 in the final version, so the age of 13 and Maya go back a long way.

:)

#6 - March 12, 2013, 10:09 AM
THE CABINET OF EARTHS -- HarperCollins, 2012
A BOX OF GARGOYLES -- HC, 2013
THE WRINKLED CROWN -- HC, 2015
www.annenesbet.com

pamelam

Mike, I actually have THE BONESHAKER sitting unread on my Kindle. Whoops.

However, yours and Anne's have just jumped to the top of my list. So, so thankful for these awesome suggestions! :)
#7 - March 12, 2013, 10:16 AM

Mike Jung

p.p.s. and she was 13 in the ARCs of CABINET OF EARTHS, though 12 in the final version, so the age of 13 and Maya go back a long way.

Oh RIGHT, I remember that now! Ha!
#8 - March 12, 2013, 10:20 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
My Farwalker books. :)
#9 - March 12, 2013, 10:52 AM
The Farwalker Trilogy
The Humming of Numbers
Reality Leak

www.jonisensel.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Carolyn Hennesey's Pandora series
Tamora Pierce's The Immortals series (and probably others)
#10 - March 12, 2013, 11:46 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Members: