SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Little Penguins

Discussion started on

Hello everyone,

I'm beginning a new picture book project about a little penguin and was after some opinion. I am developing my MC and have a few options (hopefully) below for how to draw him. Any thoughts/preferences for any of the little guys below? The PB is intended as an audience participation read aloud for children 3-6ish.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Tadgh

PS bonus points if you can identify what I am trying to draw him doing! (only even vaguely apparent in one or two of them I think, which probably settles the argument as to which I should go with!)
#1 - March 13, 2013, 04:16 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
  • SCBWI PAL
So cute! I think it depends on the penguin's personality and the story. I like Albert and Fredrick, but see them as belonging to two totally different stories.

#2 - March 13, 2013, 04:29 PM
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:03 PM by TracyH »

I like Albert. It looks like he has the hiccups.
#3 - March 13, 2013, 04:31 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I think Albert is the most engaging. And is he trying to shed the baby penguin fuzz?  :eh2
#4 - March 13, 2013, 04:34 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Albert has the most character. He looks truly surprised! Has he just tried eating snow?!
#6 - March 13, 2013, 05:09 PM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
They're all very cute. Albert seems to have a story. Frederick is cute . . . his little flippers look a bit like noodles/stylized and fun. I wonder if making them something more of a soft wedge shape, along with softening his feet could take him to a different place? I really like his textures and the big transition from dark to light on his torso.
#7 - March 14, 2013, 07:01 AM
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:29 AM by Cynthia Kremsner »
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

thanks for the feedback people, Albert has been a bit of a favourite of mine but he still needs some work yet. I'm a big fan of Jon Klassen and some of the others were my efforts at dipping my toes in a similar style to him; again, not quite there yet!
And Albert does indeed have the hiccups! Drawing a hiccuping penguin hasn't been so easy thus far, but as the story title is 'Little Penguin Gets the Hiccups' it seems I need to get better at it!

Thanks again,

Tadgh
#8 - March 14, 2013, 06:11 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Did someone say Little Penguins? Of course Penguin was curious. Albert is adorable! Penguin and Albert would be good friends, wouldn't they!
#9 - March 14, 2013, 09:08 PM

I love the texture of Frederick and Terence. Albert has the best expression. Can you combine the expression with the texture somehow?
#10 - March 15, 2013, 04:36 AM
What's for pudding, Mimmy?

Illustration website:

http://www.puddintanesbrain.com

www.puddersputter.blogspot.com

Hi Salina, my wife picked up your book in our local library the other day when we were on the hunt for penguin books out there- I love the story!
Abracabarbara that was a great suggestion, and I've been trying to combine the two. He is still evolving but the latest version can be found here:
http://www.tadghbentley.com/Tadgh_Bentley_Illustrations/Little_Penguin_Gets_the_Hiccups.html
I wanted to try and get an attachment on here but 100kb is a little small!
#11 - March 16, 2013, 02:41 PM

I was once the boy who wouldn't sit still!
Member.
Poster Plus
I like Albert. Is he sneezing?
#12 - March 27, 2013, 06:24 PM

stacebee

Loving that dark "artic -scape" !
#13 - March 27, 2013, 06:34 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Oooh.... I love your penguin in that beautiful background! Penguin's fuzzy body makes me want to hug him. I love it. And so cute that he has the hiccups! Reminds me a bit about Helene Boudreau's book, "I Dare You Not to Yawn" because it's yet another bodily function we can't control. Let's not go there to other bodily functions. I much prefer hiccups and yawning!
#14 - March 27, 2013, 07:44 PM

Members: