SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Early reader suggestions.

Discussion started on

Jadehearsvoices

So I have a five month old baby who I started reading to at about one month (if he's going to be a non-reader it won't be from a lack of trying on my part!) and he's now starting to engage with the books. His favourite is DEAR ZOO, and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest something similar? Preferably short, repetitive, and with something interactive? (He loves the pop-up stuff in DEAR ZOO).

Thanks!
#1 - March 22, 2013, 12:47 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Your avatar pic made me giggle! (I hope it was meant to!) You have a 5-month old,... so it does make sense! :-) And welcome to the boards!

I'm responding here because I love DEAR ZOO! I'm a novelty book fanatic... and that is a classic! Then you MUST own Eric Carle's THE VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR. It has fun shaped pages with simple die-cut holes where the caterpillar eats through the pages.

Matthew Van Fleet's FUZZY YELLOW DUCKLINGS is an excellent touch-and-feel book, with a learning element.

I also love Lois Ehlert's COLOR ZOO that explores animals with geometric die-cut pages.  I love books for babies!

ETA: If I may, I'd like to add my own book for baby: ROCK & ROLL COLORS (This is a colors concept book with a free moving shiny disc that rolls back and forth in the pages as baby rocks it... hence the name, ROCK and ROLL!) Published by Scholastic, and won the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Gold Seal award.
#2 - March 22, 2013, 02:13 PM
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 02:17 PM by SYoon »

Two words: Sandra Boynton.

ETA: technically we're talking about board books not "early readers," which I think of as books for kids who are learning how to read.
#3 - March 22, 2013, 02:21 PM

Here are more. I blogged about my son's favorite books when he was 11 months old. http://kurtisscaletta.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/byrons-favorite-books/
#4 - March 22, 2013, 02:23 PM

Member.
Poster Plus

:exactly:

I was an infant teacher, and Sandra Boynton preserved my sanity. Anyone who uses the word "cavort" in a board book is a hero to me.  :bow  We just finished clearing off our board book shelf to make way for more "big kid books," but we saved every Boynton book we own.

TAILS is another great touch-and-feel book with sparkly colors and tabs to pull. Eric Carle everything, Margaret Wise Brown (COLOR KITTENS is my favorite), MOO MOO BROWN COW is always a favorite...

Mostly, though, pick anything you love reading. If you can't wait to read a book for the ninety-hundred-millionth time, that's the book you want on your shelf. Your love of reading is more important to pass along than any particular book.
#5 - March 22, 2013, 02:42 PM

Ha. When my son was very little I read from Game of Thrones. Because I wanted to read it and it was just noise to him anyway; he just needed the sound of my voice to calm him. I read it a very sonorous way.
#6 - March 22, 2013, 02:53 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Well... sure, but I think we're going off topic here. I thought we were talking about books that the baby/child/tot can interact with,... not books that we love reading as parents. They are different. My recommendations for babies/tots differ from books I'd recommend to an adult looking to read books to their child. In this case, I'd pick mostly picture books because I enjoy them. But if I wanted Baby to interact and engage with the book (like I believe the poster is asking), I'd pick baby-specific books that stimulate their senses: high-contrast books, bright/highly saturated colors, tactile things to touch, lift-flaps to pull up, sturdy book, bold art/easy to identify, etc.  Boynton's books are funny... but this would be lost on babies. It's got a lot of silly in them... which is more appropriate for toddlers. Babies don't get silly.... not at 5 months.
#7 - March 22, 2013, 03:15 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
My little one loved THAT'S NOT MY MONSTER when he was a baby (and there are several THAT'S NOT MY...books, I believe). He loved to find the mouse on every page, and there is a tactile element on every page that he loved to touch. He completely wore that book out.
#8 - March 22, 2013, 03:21 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Jadehearsvoices

Thanks guys! I do have a LOT of picture books, but I'm finding he's not that interested in them yet. Or he's interested, but loses focuses after a few pages. I read DEAR ZOO to him a couple of times a day and he laughs like an idiot every time!

Now I'm off to check out all the suggestions!
#9 - March 22, 2013, 04:53 PM

Jadehearsvoices

Your avatar pic made me giggle! (I hope it was meant to!)

YES! If you can't laugh at yourself...
#10 - March 22, 2013, 05:06 PM

Jade, that's about where five month olds are at. I think it was about nine months before our kid would sit still for a story. He did like lift-the-flap books and texture books and board books with pictures of babies in them. Once he could sit up and turn the pages he would play with them in his crib.

I would recommend getting a cheap nylon photo book and putting head shots of family members in it and pets, too. Babies love seeing the people that love them. They also love a few photos of themselves. :-) Our kid would just turn the pages and name everybody, over and over and over.
#11 - March 22, 2013, 05:58 PM
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:24 PM by Kurtis »

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Great suggestions about the photo album, Kurtis. They love mirrors, too.
#12 - March 22, 2013, 06:21 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Jadehearsvoices

Oh, yeah. I know not to expect too much from him at this age. It's just that he loves DEAR ZOO so much that I was hoping to find some other similar books he could enjoy at this age.

The photo album is a good idea. I show him pictures of himself on my iPhone and it was gets a big smile.

Thanks.
#13 - March 22, 2013, 08:22 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest

I was going to say exactly this. The rhythm is great, the books are fun, the illustrations are gorgeous. My daughter loved these from around 6 months old through to ... actually, she still loves them and she's 15. And I love them and I'm a fair bit older than that.

I also love the "Sheep" series (Nancy E Shaw/Margot Apple) - "Sheep in a Shop", "Sheep in a Jeep" etc. Again, great rhyme and the stories are heaps of fun.

I still laugh over the lines: "Sheep decide/to buy a beach ball/Sheep prefer/an out-of-reach ball". They just have 'toddler' written all over them!
#14 - March 22, 2013, 09:18 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I still laugh over the lines: "Sheep decide/to buy a beach ball/Sheep prefer/an out-of-reach ball".

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!
#15 - March 23, 2013, 04:27 AM

Members: