SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Race car fans? Help!

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I know nothing about race car racing [I don't think it matters whether it's Indy or NASCAR], and I have a few questions.

Is there a winner's circle or some other well-known accolade (like the green jacket in golf)? I know the checkered flag means the race is over and someone has won.

What would you yell at a driver to cheer him on? I'm thinking of things like, "Put the pedal to the metal!" though I know that's probably outdated.

Thanks!
#1 - March 25, 2013, 12:00 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

My son is a NASCAR fan, so I asked him.  He said:

Usually after the race, the winner takes one victory lap and stops at the finish line. Then he may do a burnout (which according to my son is when he spins his wheels and drifts in a circle, somewhat like doing a donut, only cooler).  Some will get out of the car and do a special victory move or dance, too.  Then the winner drives the car onto a little checkered-flag floor (called Victory Lane) and celebrates there with his team.  Usually this is where they give trophies.

As for cheers, he said he wouldn't use anything special. Mostly he'd yell, "Go, [driver's name]!"

Hope that helps!
#2 - March 25, 2013, 01:02 PM
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:05 PM by elissacruz »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Awesome, Elissa. Please thank your son for me!
#3 - March 25, 2013, 02:07 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I know at the Indy 500, the race team usually showers the winner with champaign.  Indy car race fans always have a favorite as do NASCAR fans.  Many of them will have the name of the driver on their cars, have posters, t-shirts, key-chains, etc.  It is a big business. 

I grew up in Indiana, when back in the day the Indy 500 would take all day and almost everyone had their radio, not tv, but radio turned on to listen to the race. 

Then lived in Nashville, where they have one of the NASCAR race tracks. 

NASCAR has races on TV all the time, I would suggest that you watch one. 

I stopped watching the car races after I went to the Indy 500 time trials and watched a driver kill himself.  Decided that was the end of car racing for me.  He was racing against himself for his best time.

NASCAR usually has some of the most spectacular crashes, but most of the drivers amazingly walk away.  Has to do with the way the cars are built.

At one time cigarette companies as well as alcoholic beverages were the primary sponsors of drivers, now it is mostly
soft drinks, detergents, and family friendly products. 

Gee, I think I know way to much about something I don't watch. 

#4 - March 25, 2013, 02:24 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
 :lol5 Thanks, Liz.
#5 - March 25, 2013, 02:28 PM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Awesome, Elissa. Please thank your son for me!

I will.  But I have to tell you that he was pretty pumped to share the info, so thanks for letting him teach you about car races.  Usually we are asking him to NOT talk about it so much.  ha ha ha
#6 - March 25, 2013, 03:22 PM

I will.  But I have to tell you that he was pretty pumped to share the info, so thanks for letting him teach you about car races.  Usually we are asking him to NOT talk about it so much.  ha ha ha

I know nothing about race cars, but this story about Elissa's son made me smile.
#7 - March 26, 2013, 09:11 AM
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Me, too, J. Ro!
#8 - March 26, 2013, 09:59 AM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Members: