SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Contemporary Fantasy Rec's?

Discussion started on

I'd like to read some recently published books in the genre I'm currently writing.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good contemporary fantasy? I'd prefer MG and published in the last two years, but it can be YA and older than that, too.

Thanks!
#1 - April 09, 2013, 10:18 AM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Maybe Geeks, Girls, and Secret Identities, by Mike Jung? It's contemporary times, except that it's totally normal to have superheroes and supervillains in town. That one's MG.

Kerstin Gier's Ruby Red series is YA (but my MG-aged girls love it). The last one comes out in English this fall. Time travel family, all mysterious, Gwen's cousin Charlotte supposedly has the gene, and when she's 16, she'll start traveling. Only, it turns out it's not Charlotte, who's been prepared, but Gwen, who's clueless, who has the gene. Mayhem and a lot of mystery follow!

Cold Cereal, by Adam Rex is MG, about an evil cereal company who's bringing magical creatures from fairyland to our world. The True Meaning of Smekday is a few years old, but also awesome (funny, aliens taking over).

Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings, by Helene Boudreau, about a modern girl with a mermaid problem. Upper MG and funny.

The Cabinet of Earths, Anne Nesbet. Magic and science mixed, with a family adventure to France.

The Percy Jackson books, by Rick Riordan (Greek mythology)--he also has an Egyptian series.

Lindsey Leavitt's Princess for Hire series--ordinary girl from Idaho magically becomes a stand-in for princesses who just want a break.

Breadcrumbs, Anne Ursu. A modern girl has to rescue her friend from the Ice Queen, even though her friend is drifting away from her because she's a girl and they're in 5th grade now.

No Passengers Beyond This Point, Gennifer Choldenko. A plane flight goes...weird in mid-flight. MG.

The Grimm Legacy, Polly Shulman. Teens who work in a lending library for magical objects.

My Fair Godmother, Jeanette Rallison. Funny story of modern teens who get sucked into a fairy tale world by a less-than-skillfull fairy godmother.
#2 - April 09, 2013, 10:42 AM

Some of these are lighter on the fantasy elements than others, but here are a bunch of recent MG starring contemporary kids, though some involve portals to other worlds:

Winterling by Sarah Prineas (girl travels from our world to a magical one and back)

Seeing Cinderella by Jenny Lundquist (girl who gets magic glasses that let her read thoughts)

Bigger than a Bread Box by Laurel Snyder (girl who finds a bread box that can grant wishes)

Candymakers by Wendy Mass (kids with special talents enter a candymaking competition)

The Sisters Grimm series by Michael Buckley (two sisters move in with their grandmother in a town that turns out to be inhabited by fairytale characters)

Small Medium at Large by Joanne Levy (girl is hit by lightning and gains the ability to hear dead people)

Summer and Bird by Katherine Catmull (two sisters travel to a world ruled by a Puppeteer queen to find their missing parents)

My book Claws is contemporary MG fantasy as well, about a girl who teams up with magic cats and a harpy to find her missing sister.
#3 - April 09, 2013, 11:20 AM
http://twitter.com/rachelgrinti
CLAWS, Chicken House 2012
JALA'S MASK, Pyr, November 4, 2014

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
I've read many (not all) of the ones listed here, a lot of good stuff! But my favorite by far was Rachel's CLAWS.
#4 - April 09, 2013, 12:04 PM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
twitter @VonnaCarter

Thanks guys! I'm so excited to dive in!
#5 - April 09, 2013, 12:10 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

I've read many (not all) of the ones listed here, a lot of good stuff! But my favorite by far was Rachel's CLAWS.
Awww, thanks Vonna! That is awesome to hear. :thanx:
#6 - April 10, 2013, 08:43 AM
http://twitter.com/rachelgrinti
CLAWS, Chicken House 2012
JALA'S MASK, Pyr, November 4, 2014

Members: