SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Read-to-me picture books for ipad/Kindle?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Any of you got any good recommendations for good picture books for the ipad or Kindle where there's narration? My five-year-old likes to follow the text while trying to read herself but I am finding it nightmarish to find decent books. There are tonnes of picture books, obviously, but only a few seem to have read-aloud (I've found Dr. Seuss, some Disney books, some Beatrix Potter, and then some excellent app books from Nosy Crow... but I'm not after interactivity, just plain old read aloud!

NB I can't use B&N anymore because I don't have a US card/postal address. I can use Indiebound, Amazon and Betterworldbooks.com, though.
#1 - April 28, 2013, 09:36 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Hi Franzilla

MeeGenius has the read to me feature on all of their books and they have a ton to choose from. They even have free ones and you can sample all of them before you buy them!
#2 - April 28, 2013, 09:56 AM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
I second Meegenius. My book BIG SISTER, BABY BROTHER was published by Meegenius. I use the books on the Meegenius site in my classroom as well. A great variety for different interests at meegenius.com.
#3 - April 28, 2013, 11:05 AM
BIG SISTER, BABY BROTHER (Meegenius), ROCKABET (Big Smile Press)
http://kpolark.blogspot.com/  http://bookrecsthatrock.blogspot.com/
@kellypolark

Istorybooks has read-to-me on all of their books. I have 3 nonfiction PB apps with them, but they have a ton of fiction as well. www.istorybooks.co   Oh, and almost all of them are free.
#4 - April 28, 2013, 01:57 PM
www.katieclarkwrites.com
Twitter @KatieClarkBooks
YA and Children's Author

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
On my iPad I like the ITB for Kids books. You can let your little one read along with their narration or there's even an option foe you to do your own narrating. Some of them are free, too.
#5 - April 28, 2013, 04:13 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
We've got both Meegenius and ITB and although I've found a few good titles I still struggle. Can you recommend specific titles? Happy to check out BBers' books as well as other authors. There are some titles that just don't seem as polished as others so I'd like to avoid those.

I'm happy to pay, though! Free books are great but if the book is good then I'm more than happy to shell out. My daughter will read the book over and over, after all.

So any other specific titles that you or your kids love?
#6 - April 28, 2013, 04:58 PM
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:36 PM by Franzilla »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'll throw out my own MeeGenius book called The Bedtime Knight.
#7 - April 28, 2013, 07:28 PM
Katie L. Carroll

Pirate Island - MG adventure
Elixir Bound, Elixir Saved - YA Fantasy
www.katielcarroll.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks, ktlc1113. Found it! Cute idea.

Any more recommendations? We downloaded a bunch yesterday but I could still do with more... We've got two really long flights ahead of us and she is going to need all the entertainment I can get!
#8 - April 29, 2013, 07:10 AM

Kindle and ipad both have text-to-speech functions. But kindle's is much easier to use, at least on the version I have.
#9 - April 29, 2013, 08:14 AM

J IS FOR JAZZ
New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
  • SCBWI PAL
A Troop is a Group of Monkeys by Julie Hedlund. Really cute!
#10 - April 29, 2013, 08:58 AM
LITTLE PIANO GIRL
ICE CREAM SOUP
DO-SI-DO-BOTS
BIGGETY BAT FINDS A FRIEND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Kindle and ipad both have text-to-speech functions. But kindle's is much easier to use, at least on the version I have.

But not all picture books available for Kindle or ipad have text-to-speech enabled. In fact most seem not to.
#11 - April 29, 2013, 07:07 PM

Really? Sorry, I had no idea! I've found that most novels do, so that's odd.
#12 - April 30, 2013, 05:37 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Just in case anyone else is looking for read-to-me picture books, Open Road media seem to have quite a lot. Stuff like Brenda Clark (Franklin the turtle/tortoise – which is he?!), Rosemary Wells (Edward the bear), Robert Munsch, Hilary McKay...

http://www.openroadmedia.com/
#13 - May 07, 2013, 05:31 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I thought of this thread as I've recently stumbled across Me Books, the Penguin picture books option for ipads etc. Some wonderful books there. I'm happy!

PS If you read any of the Ladybird classics as a child they're also on there, along with modern PBs too.
#14 - July 14, 2013, 11:55 AM

Members: