SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Fairy tales with wolves?

Discussion started on

I feel like I'm forgetting something. Can anyone help me remember if there is a fairy tale with a wolf, where the wolf is good and not bad?
#1 - May 07, 2013, 09:21 AM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I feel like maybe one of the old Russian fairy tales? 
#2 - May 07, 2013, 09:25 AM
GREY'S ANATOMY writer
SHUFFLE, REPEAT (2016, Random House)
JILLIAN CADE: (FAKE) PARANORMAL INVESTIGATOR (2015, Soho Teen)

The White Wolf, found in The Grey Fairy Book. And Tsarevitch Ivan, the Fire Bird and the Gray Wolf. I'm sure there are lots more, but none I can think of at the moment!
#3 - May 07, 2013, 10:47 AM
http://twitter.com/rachelgrinti
CLAWS, Chicken House 2012
JALA'S MASK, Pyr, November 4, 2014

Thank you Rachel! I will go read those!
#4 - May 07, 2013, 12:32 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
This is a bit obvious, but is Little Red Riding Hood considered a fairy tale?
#5 - May 07, 2013, 01:52 PM

Haha yes but the wolf is pretty bad in that one.
#6 - May 07, 2013, 03:03 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
  • SCBWI PAL
More mythology I guess than fairy tale, but Romulus and Remus were raised by wolves.

God bless,
Susan
#7 - May 07, 2013, 04:11 PM
susanameyers.com
Susan York Meyers, Children's and YA Author

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Dang it! I was all ready to say Peter and the Wolf -- but then I saw that you were looking for a good wolf!
#8 - May 07, 2013, 05:50 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Maybe you're thinking of the wolf in Shrek?!
#9 - May 07, 2013, 05:58 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Haha yes but the wolf is pretty bad in that one.

Oops! Sorry, I misread your original post as good OR bad!
#10 - May 07, 2013, 07:30 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
This is a bit obvious, but is Little Red Riding Hood considered a fairy tale?

The way my college Children's Literature professor defined it, Red Riding Hood would be classified as a folk tale.  By her definition, fairy tales and folk tales were of similar nature and from similar source material, except fairy tales contain an element of magic, folk tales do not.  After taking her class, I have spent the rest of my life in frustration over the misuse of the classification "fairy tale."

Of course, chopping up the wolf with an axe and having grandmother and little girl pop out unscathed would have to be classified as magical, but that's not part of the original story, that's the later sanitized version.  Not that chopping up someone with an axe is very sanitary, but whatever.
#11 - May 08, 2013, 04:28 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
The way my college Children's Literature professor defined it, Red Riding Hood would be classified as a folk tale.  By her definition, fairy tales and folk tales were of similar nature and from similar source material, except fairy tales contain an element of magic, folk tales do not.  After taking her class, I have spent the rest of my life in frustration over the misuse of the classification "fairy tale."

Of course, chopping up the wolf with an axe and having grandmother and little girl pop out unscathed would have to be classified as magical, but that's not part of the original story, that's the later sanitized version.  Not that chopping up someone with an axe is very sanitary, but whatever.

That's interesting. I've never heard them be defined like that before. I would have thought the difference is culture-based. To be classified as folklore a story must have a history in a specific culture, fairy tales don't. That would mean a fairy tale could be folklore too, or not. There are lots of stories that have been passed down generations, with a typical folkloric 'message,' which also contain magic, no? Do they not count as fairy tales then?
#12 - May 08, 2013, 09:10 AM

Ummm 1846...If my novel ever gets published you're going to hate it. It's about fairy tales and starts with Little Red Riding Hood.  haha Oops!
#13 - May 08, 2013, 09:30 AM

Members: