SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Lawn objects for a secret society

Discussion started on

I'm trying to brainstorm a common lawn decoration that can signify a member in a secret society of people who fight Fairy-tale creatures. It needs to be common enough that kids will have seen it on a couple people's lawns and can laugh that maybe they're part of the society. But not too common, not everyone can have it. It also needs to be found on the lawns of the wealthy and not-so-wealthy. If it had some Fairy Tale significance that would be a bonus.

The only thing I can think of is a garden gnome or an apple tree. Any other ideas?
#1 - May 17, 2013, 04:19 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I always call them "witch's balls" probably a left-over from my childhood.  But those glass orbs that sit on a concrete pillar.  You can get them in many color as you can the pillars.

So, say the secret society had blue concrete pillars with a shimmery red ball on top. 

These are often seen in the center of many gardens.

Or you could always go for pink flamingos.   :lol4

#2 - May 17, 2013, 04:26 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
A lady nearby has a goose on her front step, which she dresses up in various costumes throughout the year. The girls and I always try to walk by there on the way to the library to see what the goose is wearing.

Kind of a Mother Goose vibe, which would tie into your fairy tale theme?  :chickendance <--well that's a chicken but you get what I mean, I hope...  :)
#3 - May 17, 2013, 04:29 PM
www.heleneboudreau.com

Author of the REAL MERMAIDS tween series, RED DUNE ADVENTURES chapter book series, I DARE YOU NOT TO YAWN (2013) and more.

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
A particular kind of wind chime?

But I confess that the globe was the first thought to me, too. I have never quite gotten over the one in Jane Langton's The Diamond in the Window (MG American transcendentalist fantasy mystery in a fabulous old house).

Also, can I say how much I like the title of this thread? Seriously, children's writers are the best!
#4 - May 17, 2013, 04:36 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
The garden globes (they are sometimes called gazing balls) are excellent ideas.

We have a lot of little tree fairies hiding among the roots of neighborhood trees. I don't know if that's common outside of our neighborhood, though.  (Or chickens? We also have a lot of urban chicken farmers.  :lol4)

P.S. Love this idea, Amanda!
#5 - May 17, 2013, 04:38 PM

Those gazing balls are pretty creepy, and you could have the color signify something special. A bench. A special flower pot or type of flower. A special welcome mat. Special flag on the mailbox. Windsock. Pinwheel. Flamingo. ;) Fountain - the little ones you buy at the nursery aren't very much money. Special kind or color of porch light. Wreath on the door.
#6 - May 17, 2013, 05:35 PM
Robin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
How about Christmas lights that never get taken down all year? You could have those in apartment windows, too, so it would work for people who had no lawns.

Or a stained-glass object hung in a window. Or a prism.
#7 - May 17, 2013, 05:53 PM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Amanda Sue, I love the idea of lawn gnomes -- because so many people have them.  But yours would have to have a subtle difference that would only be noticed by people in the know....

:) eab
#8 - May 17, 2013, 05:57 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
hey, we have one of those glass garden balls on a stick!! I shall await my membership invitation into the secret society!  :trench

we also have a toilet planter...not sure if that means anything, lol.  :eh2 it was all here when we moved in.

what about a ceramic fairy ring? my mom has a little collection of mushrooms (with the red caps with the white polka dots) in her garden. totally adorable!
#9 - May 17, 2013, 06:38 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
we also have a toilet planter...not sure if that means anything, lol.  :eh2 it was all here when we moved in.

Yeah, right. It was there when she moved in.  :ha I like Arty's fairy mushroom ring idea and Melissa's Christmas lights!

What about those bricks or stones with Celtic engravings or other "garden" variety sayings on them? By the way, the concept is awesome and this thread is fun!  :yeah
#10 - May 17, 2013, 06:59 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Yeah, right. It was there when she moved in. 

yup, toilet's out in the backyard. strangely, there is only a potted fern in the bathroom.... :eh2

What about those bricks or stones with Celtic engravings or other "garden" variety sayings on them? By the way, the concept is awesome and this thread is fun!  :yeah

Ooh, another good idea! And yes! Awesome concept and fun thread!
#11 - May 17, 2013, 07:09 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I was thinking of a special door knocker or even a bell mounted near the door. My father took the bell off his boat and mounted it on the door jamb. We loved ringing it instead of the doorbell.

A special kind of light might work, too - like a free standing lamppost (like you see on lawns) with a special finial or the globe in a certain shape.

You could even use the flowers and shrubs, planted in a certain way with specific colors.

I find this topic intriguing.  :)

Laurel
#12 - May 17, 2013, 07:13 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
How about Christmas lights that never get taken down all year?
Whee! I'm a member of a secret society! Embarrassing, but fun.

Some people have little doors that go on the bottom of a tree, or faces that go on a tree. But a lot of our suggestions are whimsical, and if the people with the symbolic object are anti-fairy, what about a broom propped against the house? Would look like they'd just been sweeping the entry, but could symbolize getting rid of something.
#13 - May 17, 2013, 07:16 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

I've seen this black metal cowgirl silhouette that leans against a house/fence. And these tiny burros pulling wagons with plants in them.
#14 - May 17, 2013, 08:40 PM
SWAY, 2012 from Disney-Hyperion
CIRCA NOW, 2014 from Disney-Hyperion
http://www.ambermcreeturner.com
https://www.facebook.com/SwayByAmberMcReeTurner

Poster Plus

Some people have little doors that go on the bottom of a tree, or faces that go on a tree.

I have a door. It is higher up close to the crotch of a tree where a little gnome stands and surveys the yard.
This is definitely a fun thread!
#15 - May 18, 2013, 05:04 AM
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I've been following this thread. Love it! The first thing I thought of, too, was one of those balls on a stand. Or maybe, if they're fighting fairydom or fairy tale creatures, an iron archway covered with vines that leads to...?
#16 - May 18, 2013, 06:28 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
How about a garden gnome with an unusually colored hat, so there's no chance someone who isn't in the society would have one?
#17 - May 18, 2013, 06:33 AM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com
Hedy Lamarr's Double Life
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machin

Dawn Bonnevie

Fun thread and great ideas!  You could browse through the garden category on Pinterest. It makes sense that you could use pretty much anything/ whatever fits your criteria best by simply adding a specific detail. Have fun!
#18 - May 18, 2013, 07:44 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Pinterest! Smart, Dawn.  :yeah
#19 - May 18, 2013, 08:13 AM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
A birdbath of some kind? I have one that has three fish as the pedestal.
#20 - May 18, 2013, 08:35 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Okay, now I want a birdbath, lights, and a door in my tree, which I'd never heard of, BTW.  :hahaha
#21 - May 18, 2013, 08:51 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region utahsouthidaho
This is so fun....  :grin3

Garden gnomes came to my mind as well--love them. What about Scottish bluebells, they're associated with fairies and witchcraft. Other plants that come to mind, elderberry bush, foxglove, four leaf clovers, rowan trees and willow trees.

Sun catchers in windows are also fun. Or an odd sort of bird house that's really a fairy house, ceramic owls or other animals, pond with rare type of koi--there's the legends about koi turning into dragons.

I like so many of the ideas already stated. Ooooh, how about a pink flamingo! I'd love to see one of those on the lawn of some mansion. Maybe it could be a chartreuse flamingo just for something different. ;D

P.S. or maybe a mini stone henge?
#22 - May 18, 2013, 11:31 AM
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:35 AM by J.Swan »
Seek ye out of the best books...
http://dewdropsofink.blogspot.com

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
We actually have two green flamingos with yellow beaks in our front yard--very popular here in Eugene as they are Oregon Duck colors.  :)
#23 - May 18, 2013, 04:50 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
We actually have two green flamingos with yellow beaks in our front yard--very popular here in Eugene as they are Oregon Duck colors.  :)

Who knew?  ;D I think I might need one.
#24 - May 18, 2013, 05:31 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
In one of my planters out front, I have a little garden gnome (only a few inches tall) who's holding up a polka dot mushroom.  So maybe the secret society members could have gnomes who hold symbolic objects?  Next to my garden gnome, I have a mini gazing ball with a rustic dragonfly mounted on top.  So another possibility might be a gazing ball with a particular object on it.

Fun thread, by the way!  I adore the title! :)
#25 - May 18, 2013, 06:43 PM
AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN, Marshall Cavendish Children's Books
www.LauraWynkoop.com

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
truck tires painted and made into planters - you could put whatever the symbol is that you want in the center, my parents have one in their backyard that the top of the tire is cut open is a way to give it a bigger planting space.

If you live in a highly Roman Catholic area, you may have seen the bathtub Madonnas.  Where they actually use real bathtubs (old clawfoot type).  I'm to the point where whenever I see a modern one, in a niche, not a bathtub, I still call them bathtub Madonnas.  You could do something along this line with an oddly painted background.

There are all sorts of concrete statutes that you can purchase to place in your yard, from horses to gargoyles to common planters.  There is one of these dealers located down the road a piece from my house.

A place to look up the different bird baths, glass orbs is Clay City Pottery.
#26 - May 18, 2013, 07:18 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Wow guys! Thanks! I didn't expect to get so many fun responses. I definitely have a lot to work with, maybe to even signify other kinds of people.   :clapping
#27 - May 18, 2013, 11:48 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Poster Plus
flamingoes

frogs

A character statue ... fairy statues are popular

A spinner

A flag

Solar lights in a particular shape, flower, frog

I LOVE lawn decor.
#28 - May 19, 2013, 02:25 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Okay, is it just me, or are many of you thinking of AmandaSue's thread and checking out other people's yard decorations now?  :lol4

This weekend when I visited my sister, I noticed in her front yard that she has two pink flamingos, a gazing ball, a mini flag, and a trellis. I never knew she was a member of multiple secret societies!

And our neighbors had a flower pot on the rail of their front porch for weeks. It's mysteriously disappeared...hmmmm.  :)
#29 - May 20, 2013, 08:08 AM
www.amycobbwrites.wordpress.com

Twitter: @AmyCobbWrites

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Okay, is it just me, or are many of you thinking of AmandaSue's thread and checking out other people's yard decorations now?  :lol4

Oh dear. Totally guilty. I noticed one house that had black flamingo-like thingys (now there's a fancy word) in her yard, but they had the skeletal structure in the design--skull, vertebrae, etc. Sorta cool, but sorta creepy.

Made me wonder what secrets they were keeping.  :crazy
#30 - May 20, 2013, 08:48 AM

Members: