SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Alternate to Boys Quest

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Well...I got a  :poop on an article I thought was perfect for the Boys Quest theme of inventions.

Does anyone know which magazine is closest to Boys Quest and would make a good place to sub my article.

Thanks
Sharon
#1 - May 18, 2013, 12:23 PM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Sorry, Sharon.

I'm not sure what you mean by closest to, but Boys' Quest is for 6-13 year-olds, right? So is Highlights, Fun For Kidz, Spider (6-9), Jack and Jill (7-10), and Cricket (on the high end of that age). Any of these work?
#2 - May 19, 2013, 05:44 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, EMERGENCY KITTENS!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Thanks Jody. I should have explained it better---by closet I was looking for what types of stories the magazine published. I am thinking that a magazine that appeals to mainly boys would be a good place to start. These are all great alternatives. I have never subbed to Jack and Jill, Spider, or Cricket, so I may start with those. I think Fun For Kidz is the same as Boys Quest because it was listed on my reject. Highlights is a maybe. The last NF article I subbed them they said they wanted something that you couldn't find on the internet---altough nowadays I can't imagine what that would be????

I also looked at Boy's Life, although they may have already published something in the past on Tonka trucks? I think I will send it there too. I am sort of regretting getting my 11 year old cousin involved BEFORE it was accepted. I guess it can be a lesson to him that we don't always get what we want. Yet, I am sad to be the one to show him that because he was so excited. Alas, I will sub until there are no magazines left to sub it to:) I WILL NOT SURRENDER:) :superwoman
#3 - May 19, 2013, 05:57 AM
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:58 AM by Schriscoe »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
That's the spirit, Sharon!  :gogirl
#4 - May 19, 2013, 04:40 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, EMERGENCY KITTENS!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
How about Boy's Life, the Scouts magazine?
#5 - May 19, 2013, 10:07 PM

By "something you couldn't find on the Internet," HIGHLIGHTS means primary sources. So...for instance...if you were doing a piece on Tonka trucks, you'd include an interview with someone who designed them -- or an interview with the person who had the biggest Tonka truck collection in the world, or whatever. By going directly to a source and asking your own questions, you'd be adding something not found on the Internet. I have noticed that most Highlights nonfiction has a lot of direct quotes as a result of this focus.

Totally as an aside -- it's BOYS' LIFE (with the apostrophe after the "s.") The folks who work there seem to be almost sensitive about that. I guess folks get it wrong often. So by getting it right, you'd stand out if submitting to them.
#6 - May 20, 2013, 10:57 AM
ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW HOLLYWOOD MOVIES GET MADE [Cherry Lake/2015]
GHOST LIGHT BURNING [ABDO/2015]
MONSTER HUNTERS [ABDO/2014&2016]

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I have this from Boys' Life (not sure if it's still accurate):

"Nonfiction: Major articles run 500-1,500 words; payment is $400-$1,500. Subject matter is broad. We cover everything from professional sports to American history to how to pack a canoe. A look at a current list of the BSA's more than 100 merit badge pamphlets gives an idea of the wide range of subjects possible. Even better, look at a year's worth of recent issues. Find the magazine in libraries and in BSA council offices. Query senior editor Paula Murphey."

Later it says to query by mail, not email or phone, with an SASE. Boys' Life, 1325 West Walnut Hill Lane, P.O. Box 152079, Irving, TX 75015-2079.
#7 - May 20, 2013, 01:19 PM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Others have already mentioned some of my favorite compatible markets.
You might also consider some of the Christian magazines like Pockets, Clubhouse Jr.

Sharon, do you have a magazine market guide? ICL puts out a very nice one ... http://www.writersbookstore.com/Books_on_Writing_for_Children.htm  but I see they're sold out. In any case, it's worth it to buy a hard copy and then check the websites for the latest guidelines.

Good luck placing your Tonka article.
Vijaya
#8 - May 20, 2013, 02:12 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Sharon, 
These magazines are all great options. I was thinking Spider or Cricket would be good markets for your piece.  I purchased a copy of the ICL Magazine Markets for Children’s Writers™ 2013  through Amazon sellers when I saw it was sold out at the ICL store. I love how it's devoted to the magazine market - I found many I never knew existed!
 :goodluck

Sue

#9 - May 20, 2013, 03:13 PM
FAIRIES, Focus Readers, North Star Editions, 2018
GET OUTSIDE IN WINTER, Focus Readers, Jan.  2019
GET OUTSIDE IN SPRING, Focus Readers, Jan.  2019

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and wonderful support.

Awful Waffles, Boys' Life is definitely on my list:)

Jan, thanks for the correction on Boys' Life I will be sure to get it right and hopefully stand out right away! Also, thanks for the info on Highlights NF I will see what I can discover. I love a good hunt for a great topic.

Jody, thanks for the guidelines for them. I will get it together and send it out to them tomorrow. I sent a sub out to Jack and Jill Monday.

Vijaya, do you think Tonka Truck history will fit into Pockets and Clubhouse Jr.'s magazines. I actually hadn't thought of them because they are a christian market and mine's not christian related. But if you think so, I will send it to them too! I actually don't have an updated magazine market guide but I will get one.

Sue thanks for letting me know Amazon has them!

Thanks again everyone!
#10 - May 22, 2013, 11:26 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Just ordered one! I can't wait to dig into it!
#11 - May 22, 2013, 11:34 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Sharon, enjoy marking and stickying your new market guide! Christian publishers also like having good NF. If there is a Christian angle, it's a plus if you can work it in.

Good luck,
Vijaya
#12 - May 22, 2013, 02:31 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas