SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Spec scripts

Discussion started on

bookworm452

If I send my screenplay to an agent, is a spec script or can I just send it? Does a spec script have a different format? Because I'm setting it out like a proper screenplay.
#1 - May 21, 2013, 05:50 AM

I'm confused by your question. Do you mean you're writing a spec of an existing TV show?
#2 - May 21, 2013, 07:19 AM
GREY'S ANATOMY writer
SHUFFLE, REPEAT (2016, Random House)
JILLIAN CADE: (FAKE) PARANORMAL INVESTIGATOR (2015, Soho Teen)

Not to shoo you away from asking your screenwriting questions here, Bookworm, but I wonder if you wouldn't get more answers (and find some friends with the same interests!) on a young screenwriters' forum.  So many of us here write books, not screenplays.  I think there must be plenty of places to ask specific screenplay questions online--I just Googled and found this one, for example:

http://www.studentfilmmakers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/48-Screenwriting

I'm not sure how helpful that would be, looking through it, actually, but this one looks more promising:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php?s=e08ae6a80f2a59705a48a6f1e293c31c

Probably even just reading through the old threads will help answer many of your questions.
#3 - May 21, 2013, 08:08 AM
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:16 AM by Jaina »

bookworm452

Not to shoo you away from asking your screenwriting questions here, Bookworm, but I wonder if you wouldn't get more answers (and find some friends with the same interests!) on a young screenwriters' forum.

Okay. Thanks.

I'm confused by your question. Do you mean you're writing a spec of an existing TV show?

No, I read that unsolicited movie scripts are specs as well.
#4 - May 21, 2013, 08:28 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Spec just means "written on speculation" which means that you're writing the script and then trying to sell it. (As opposed to writing a treatment, selling based on treatment, and then being hired to write the resulting script. Or as opposed to being on a show staff.)

It can be any format - spec screenplay, spec teleplay, spec pilot, etc.

Anything you're sending to an agent is technically on spec unless that agent is already representing you and you're just sending a treatment. :)
#5 - May 21, 2013, 09:56 AM
The Farwalker Trilogy
The Humming of Numbers
Reality Leak

www.jonisensel.com

What Joni said. 
#6 - May 21, 2013, 10:18 AM
GREY'S ANATOMY writer
SHUFFLE, REPEAT (2016, Random House)
JILLIAN CADE: (FAKE) PARANORMAL INVESTIGATOR (2015, Soho Teen)

Members: