SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Illustration for young readers???

Discussion started on

OddBerryCreations

I have never thought of illustrating books for kids but I seem to be finding myself creating characters with the little ones in mind. My characters are often times cute and friendly. My husband suggested I illustrate for e-books and it's definitely an idea but how do I get started with something like that? I don't know what sort of images are actually fitting for children and even thought I've looked at a few hundred books, they all seem to be different. how would I go about finding a writer that wanted me to do the illustrations for them? I've been looking for illustration groups to join especially since there is no local SOCWI (is that right?) close by. I can definitely see myself illustrating for children's books...but how do I get started? I do have stories for my characters when I create them because having a backstory makes them so much more believable but I don't think I'm a writer. And if I were, how would I go about that??!! There is so much to know and learn, it's quite overwhelming.

:bewildered: :bewildered:
#1 - May 22, 2013, 08:48 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Wow. That's a big question with so many answers, OddBerry!

Have you ever been to Harold Underdown's site? This is the link to the illustrating information. It might be a good place to start.

http://www.underdown.org/illustrating-for-children.htm
#2 - May 22, 2013, 10:14 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
>how would I go about finding a writer that wanted me to do the illustrations for them?<

That would be as simple as posting on Linkedin that you want to Illustrate a self published book but do you really want to do that or would you like to focus on working with Publishers as an Illustrator? So many Writers want/expect free or very cheap art, with a vague promise of "splitting profits". Typically the books never sell or the writer, with art that cost them nothing, changes their mind about epublishing the book and you get nothing.
 I think Artemesia's suggestion of starting with reading Harold's Illustrating for children is a great jumping off point.

#3 - May 23, 2013, 01:56 AM
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:59 AM by christripp »
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
SCBWI- Society of Childrens Book Writers and Illustrators has a lot of info for beginners on website $70 to join-
The Children Writers and Illustrators Market book has a lot of articles and resources for those starting out-
Its going to take some time to research what "niche" of illustrating is right for you. Just googling you will find a lot.
#4 - May 23, 2013, 05:58 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Oddberry, I've looked at your site and I think before you start to submit postcards to AD's you want to add more children's Illustration samples to the site. Think children in action, playing at the park or swimming or in class. Animals if they are one of your strengths. I know you say there isn't a SCBWI chapter near you but there usually isn't one near anybody:) I'd still recommend you join and see if there's a chance to make it to one of the "closest" chapter conferences, they are INVALUABLE!!!!:)
Via your area's chapter, I am sure you'll be able to find a few Illustrators closer to where you are that you could form a sketch/critique group, meet  up face to face at a coffee shop or a day out on a sketch crawl or some such.
I know my early comment about self pub Authors sounds jaded but, though there are SOME amazing self pub Authors who totally get how much work and how important to their book Illustration is, thus treat and pay the Illustrator fairly, there are far more that don't. I think later you will know how to deal with self publishing, what to look for in contracts, what is a fair payment but at first, I would say stick with learning the business and getting a portfolio built up (and join SCBWI) Hey, I belong to the Canada East Chapter.... do you know how large the Eastern portion of Canada is? hahaha, hardly "close by":)
#5 - May 24, 2013, 01:36 AM
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 01:38 AM by christripp »
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Members: