SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Anyone Doing Camp NaNoWriMo in July?

Discussion started on

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I didn't know about it, but in a moment of recklessness I signed up today when I heard about it from a friend. Since I'm in the planning stages of a new book, that'll be just about the right time to start drafting.

You don't have to write 50,000 words. You set your own goals. 

http://www.campnanowrimo.org/
#1 - June 07, 2013, 03:49 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

I'm in too. A friend just told me about it and it's perfect timing. I'm in the process of sorting through my novel in verse and wanting to have it more developed before the summer conference in L.A. in August.

Let's do this thing :)
#2 - June 28, 2013, 04:17 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
LOL, I'd forgotten I started this thread. A LOT has happened since I registered, but I'll make more progress going forward with CN than I would if I didn't. Glad you've signed on, JenniB! :)
#3 - June 28, 2013, 05:06 PM
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
www.marciahoehne.com

NC Girl

I signed up and thought it was perfect timing for me, too. My kids are away for 6 weeks and I'd love some incentive to push forward on a book I'm starting to write.

However, I'm really struggling with the site. I keep getting and Error Message 503, whatever that means. Are either of you seeing that?

Thanks!

Shari
#4 - June 30, 2013, 08:05 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I just signed up (very last minute decision...yikes!).

I had to push through a lot of errors, but kept reloading until everything went through.

I did 50k in Novembers 2011. That was really tough. This month, I set a goal of 25k for a middle grade novel.
#5 - June 30, 2013, 11:20 PM
Young Henry and the Dragon (2011, Shenanigan Books)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I didn't get an error message, but I did notice that their cabin assignment process seems a little wacky. A friend and I wanted to be together, and it took us a few tries. Apparently you can't just have a cabin of two, either. Just like in real life, I s'pose. :D

My goal is only 15k words on a MG. July is going to be crazier than I thought, and I'll be very happy to get that solid a start on my book.
#6 - July 01, 2013, 07:45 AM
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
www.marciahoehne.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
YES, today I AM getting the 503 error message.
#7 - July 01, 2013, 08:09 AM
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
www.marciahoehne.com

Decided to sign up... I've done NaNo in November since 2007. Last year I tried July camp, but didn't know many others who were doing it, and most of my tentmates never showed up or dropped out :( 

I'm also getting the 503 message now. Guessing the site is overwhelmed, and will be straightened out in a few days. Kind of weird, though... I thought they did a major upgrade last year, and I would think July would be a lot less people than November.
#8 - July 01, 2013, 01:24 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I got the error message trying to go to the site directly from my browser. Did you get an intro email from Camp NaNo today? Going to the site from the links inside the email worked.
#9 - July 01, 2013, 03:17 PM
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
www.marciahoehne.com

My goal is 15k for my MG, which is 500 words per day. I'm a little behind with 500 words so far, but there's still 3.5 hours left in day 2, right?  :goodluck
#10 - July 02, 2013, 08:57 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
This morning, I hit my goal of 25k words and completed a rough draft of a middle grade novel. And unlike my 2011  nanowrimo 50k MG monstrosity, I'm actually going to work on this one instead of putting it away indefinitely.

Writing in July turned out to be a very good thing for me and 25k words was tough, but I found it to be the perfect goal for writing MG.

Thanks for starting this thread. I wouldn't have signed up if I hadn't seen it mentioned here.
 :sun

#11 - July 31, 2013, 08:26 PM
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:28 PM by jeanne k »
Young Henry and the Dragon (2011, Shenanigan Books)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I'm glad it worked so well for you, jeanne k! I didn't quite hit my goal, but I got a lot done. I'm not strictly "camp material," but I consider it a success.  :yup
#12 - August 01, 2013, 07:12 AM
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
www.marciahoehne.com

Members: