SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

It's Summer Vacation.

Discussion started on

Hi Shanny, i'm finishing my adult romance. Then i'll revise my YA into a tween this summer, promise!!! SummerWriMo or bust.  :drowning:
#31 - June 19, 2013, 11:02 AM
Twitter: @ KarenBlyToo

Member.
Poster Plus
Fun to see so many summer writers! Shanny and Christy, I hope you have wonderful breaks! ::-) I was able to sit with my pen and paper at the park for a few minutes this morning, but I work this afternoon/evening, so I'm afraid that's all I'll be getting done. Happy writing!
#32 - June 19, 2013, 12:42 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thanks Rae  :love4:

Karen  :gogirl
#33 - June 19, 2013, 01:03 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
My house has become happy chaos since school let out ten days ago. I've temporarily given up on bic and am reading The 90 Day Novel and thinking about the exercises. "Thinking about" is so much easier than "Doing."   
:)
No regrets -- I love summer and the unstructured time -- as long as there are a few weeks of day camp so I don't completely forget how to write! For now I am trying to live in the present and not resent what I am "missing" by being present. Soon my tween son won't want his mom around so much. I am enjoying this sweet time.
 :love4:
#34 - June 19, 2013, 03:45 PM
Ten Clever Ninjas (picture book, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)
Butterfly Girl (middle grade novel, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)

Twitter: @kidlitSarah

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
You are so right, Butterfly Girl! Enjoy it now, it goes too fast. And never underestimate the value of thinking about your writing. Thinking is doing, great things!
#35 - June 19, 2013, 08:50 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I think that is my problem this year. I have no unstructured time this summer. As soon as all the camps and travels and visits are over, I have to go straight into packing mode (we're moving in July). Because I do remember summers where yeah, the kids were out, but it was this lovely amoeba-like time system where we went to bed when we wanted to and we got up when we wanted to and nobody HAD to do anything except relax. And I'm not seeing it this year.

I did bring my revision ms to a concert tonight, though. I figured we had to get there a little early to get parking, so maybe I could use the time a bit. (A very little bit, but better than nothing!)
#36 - June 19, 2013, 10:17 PM

Member.
New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Rae, your idea about ditching the computer and using paper while the kids are around is GENIUS!  :writing3

I feel badly about wasting paper, but I will get over it because the boys completely leave me alone. All this time I thought I was what interested the young one. As it turns out, it appears to have been the computer and not me! :thanx:
#37 - June 20, 2013, 10:06 AM

I wrote about this on my blog last summer (http://jenkleinbooks.com/2012/08/22/the-accidental-hiatus/) and everything is still applicable... except this time around, between book-work and screen-work, I have a ton of deadlines.  Also, this year my boys seem to be gravitationally attracted to each other.  They canNOT be in the same vicinity without someone taking an elbow to the ribs (or worse).  The sheer quantity of times I have to say "just don't touch him" is astounding.

So we're muddling through with a mix of scheduled camps/babysitters and days where I try to give them a LOT of fun and attention.  The roller skating rink and our neighbor's pool feature prominently... both places where I can scribble amidst the chaos.

SCRIBBLING AMIDST THE CHAOS.  Hm.  Perhaps I need to write a book about the juxtaposition of writing and parenthood...

Good luck, everyone!
#38 - June 20, 2013, 12:00 PM
GREY'S ANATOMY writer
SHUFFLE, REPEAT (2016, Random House)
JILLIAN CADE: (FAKE) PARANORMAL INVESTIGATOR (2015, Soho Teen)

Dawn Bonnevie

I'm a teacher, too, so summer is when I can actually spend time with my kids. I used to babysit all the cousins (since I have the summer 'off') and sometimes taught summer school as well. 

When the kids were younger, I found that if I was busy (trying to write, or doing summer school work, or cleaning) then they would desperately need me, BUT if I was doing absolutely nothing, they didn't need anything. So, the trick is to pretend you are doing nothing.  That's why the idea of writing in notebooks is great (just do so nonchalantly) and spend lots of time thinking about your stories (looking really bored).  Both can be done anywhere. 

My boys are older now and rarely want anything, except a ride (old enough to work, but no license yet).  Two hours a day of taxiing and the rest is all mine!  (well, except for the school work and class I'm taking..and they do manage to get every dish and glass dirty in a matter of minutes).
#39 - June 24, 2013, 08:24 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
SCRIBBLING AMIDST THE CHAOS.  Hm.  Perhaps I need to write a book about the juxtaposition of writing and parenthood...

Maybe you could make it a "how-to" guide?? :)

I've been MIA, but it's because I've been working! I have more queries sent out (thanks to #MSWL) and my revisions on ms#2 are coming along, too.

The kids seem to have settled into summer, and the youngest two decided that they are "Best Friends ForEVER!" which is absolutely lovely. #2 gets #3 ready for nap and tucks her in, then #1 & 2 snuggle in with books. We play hard in the mornings and everyone is pretty tired by lunchtime, which means I have an hour to work most days.

Happy writing, everyone!
#40 - June 28, 2013, 10:29 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I had high hopes for revising this summer, but first my computer got sick and then I did. We're all back to speed now so, although I've got a late start, I'm ready to get going.

Laurel
#41 - June 28, 2013, 10:42 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
Vonna -- so sorry your peace ended with a broken toe! I hope you heal quickly.
 :hug
#42 - June 28, 2013, 02:10 PM
Ten Clever Ninjas (picture book, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)
Butterfly Girl (middle grade novel, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)

Twitter: @kidlitSarah

Member.
Poster Plus
Just gotta say...

:haha :haha :haha :haha :haha :haha :haha :haha :haha :haha :haha :haha :haha :haha :snork:

So.

(School starts Tuesday! And I've worked on some pb manuscripts and articles... but I haven't opened my poor mg in roughly two months and twenty seven days. Hoping you had better luck!)
#43 - August 29, 2013, 06:42 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
RaeE, I am so with you. I actually got a little bit more done than I expected this summer (thank you neighborhood babysitters) but not as much as I wanted to. We had some good times (and some not-so-good times) this summer, kids, but it is time for a new school year.  :yeah
#44 - August 29, 2013, 01:12 PM
Freaky Funky Fish ( Running Press Kids, Spring 2021)

Members: