SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Need sources for "writing about literature" MS: June 28 deadline

Discussion started on

kswarts

I have a "writing about literature" feature article assignment for Children's Writer, and could use a couple more expert sources (editors or writers). The topic comprises, among other things: book reviews; commentaries on classic children's stories; discussions of popular literary themes past and present; and curricula for literature teachers.

To save time, I am including a suggested list of e-interview questions (though I emphasize that there is no requirement to answer all of them):

1. How would you respond to the assertion, "All literary writing is literature, but not all literature is 'literary'?
2. What genres and authors are most popular today? What changing trends have you noticed (historically or in your lifetime)?
3. What are your favorite "about literature" books and magazines? (Some currently popular ones include the BabyLit series, How to Read Literature Like a Professor, A Field Guide to Narnia, Who Is J. K. Rowling?, Twenty-Five Books That Shaped America, and The Horn Book.)
4. Do literary magazines and presses publish more "about literature" pieces than other publishers do? Why or why not?
5. What types of "writing about literature" books and articles does the market most need (e. g., biographies of "forgotten" once-popular authors, profiles of small presses, new ideas for reading teachers)?
6. Do the same people who read about literature usually read the original literature the writing explores? Why do you think a person might prefer one but not the other? With those who like both, do they usually read the literature or the "about" writings first?
7. How can an author who wants to write about literature avoid sounding like a high school English textbook?
8. What other advice do you have on writing about literature?

Thank you very much!
#1 - June 20, 2013, 05:42 AM

Members: