SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Adaption Practice

Discussion started on

bookworm452

I'm thinking about writing an adaption of Tomb Raider 2013 - for practice. Do you guys think its a good idea or would I be wasting my time?
#1 - June 20, 2013, 08:39 AM

I think you mean adaptation?

If you don't own the rights and a studio didn't hire you to write the script, then yeah, it'd be a waste of your time if you were trying to sell it

Is it a waste of time to practice writing, rather than write something you could sell as a spec if it turned out great? I don't know. Only you can answer that. Might be more beneficial to write something original and if it turns out great you've got a spec or a great writing sample. But again, only you can answer that.

(if you were trying to break into TV then that's different -- you'd write a spec of an existing show to prove your talent. But that's TV).
#2 - June 20, 2013, 01:18 PM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

I looked it up -- as of June 12, the script is already being written by the writer that wrote Tomb Raider, Iron Man and Children of Men.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1365519/
#3 - June 20, 2013, 01:28 PM
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:31 PM by CC »
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
No writing is wasted Bookworm.
Vijaya
#4 - June 20, 2013, 03:22 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

bookworm452

I decided that if I get around to it, I'll be posting it on fanfiction.net so that way I can get reviews on it. I have decided to write something that uses Tomb Raider 2013 as part of an inspiration for another script that involves trying to find Atlantis. I'm not entirely sure on everything, though.
#5 - June 24, 2013, 06:32 AM

Brooke

Unless something has changed since the last time I read the rules on FFN, they don't allow script format works to be posted. I'm not sure why (the rule always seemed slightly silly to me) and given the rate at which offending stories are removed, you might be able to post it and get some reviews before it's caught.

There are fanfic sites out there that do allow scripts, though the amount of reviews you get might be smaller. I'm not entirely sure this is the place for me to discuss them, though, but feel free to PM me.
#6 - June 25, 2013, 09:11 AM

Members: