SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Revisionland

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Lucky you, MG! Enjoy your extended vacation!  :vacation

The rest of you -- buckle down and plow through!  :typing

AmandaSue, I'll tell you how I spent the last two days and it's helped tremendously.

I use Scrivener and I love the index card function, but I needed more. So I went back to the old-fashioned route. I printed out my chapter synopsis and glued each one onto a separate index card. (Even I can't read my handwriting!) I bought the biggest piece of foam core I could find, and I tacked each card to the board with a color coded tack (four different colors for the four plot lines.) This way, I could see at a glance where I needed to work in plot references that had dropped out for too long. I moved a chapter or two around, but mostly, I made notes on post-its and pasted them to the chapters that needed work. I put post-it notes where chapters needed to be inserted. And I put post-it notes along the bottom for ending chapters are still to be written.

So what does my board look like? I have post-its on 18 chapters and I have 9 new chapters to write. Some of the changes to existing chapters are small, like mention there is a debate tournament on Saturday. Some are change the setting. Some are rework the whole darn thing. But surprisingly, all those post-its are ridiculously comforting. I now have a plan. And I can't wait to peel those suckers off that board one by one.

:rollercoaster
#121 - July 11, 2013, 10:16 AM

Ruth & Anne - We all know revising is like being trapped in the 7th level of heck. But all the work will pay off. Keep on going! :cheerleader

:p Thanks, Laura!

AnneN, AmandaSue, Joanna, and anyone else I missed--hang in there. We'll whip these things into shape eventually.

Jude, your system sounds great. I did something similar, and it helped a lot. Just laying it all out visually makes it seem like less of a mess.

Speaking of the Scrivener corkboard, has anyone else tried Trello? It's a free download where you can make lists. I changed the names of my lists to "act 1", "act 2", etc, and then added items containing my scene synopses. I think it will be a wonderful tool for planning and revision.
#122 - July 11, 2013, 11:20 AM

Wow, that does sound like a super helpful system, Jude! Seeing things visually is always a huge plus.

Good luck, AmandaSue and AnneN and RuthD—you can dooooo it!!

Thanks Laura, the new idea is working out quite well so far!

Here's to a fabulous day for all us revisers!! :hairdude
#123 - July 11, 2013, 01:28 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I've been stuck on chapter six all week. It is now much improved, but I hope the other chapters don't take as long.
#124 - July 11, 2013, 05:04 PM

MGH - On submission! Wahoo! This requires dancing veggies :bananadance :broccoli :carrot and lots of good luck wishes  :star2 :clover :star2 :crossedfingers :star2 :goodluck

Jude - Dang. You're so organized, and here I sit making my little outline on a word-doc on my 10-yr-old laptop. :sigh

Laurel - The first half of the book is always the hardest for me to revise. After that, things usually speed up. Good luck on finishing Ch 6 and speeding onward!  :motorcycle:

Pat - :exactly: When I get stuck on a WIP, I always try to ask myself "What does the ms need here?" If I can get the question clearly in my mind, I can usually come up with an answer. I'm sure your agent will love it!  :dancer
#125 - July 12, 2013, 12:12 AM
Soul Cutter ~ YA Horror/Romance (MuseItUp Publishing Dec 2013)
Blog: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/

I forgot, MGH--Yay for making it out of the trench and out on submission!  :star2 :clover :star2  :crossedfingers :star2
#126 - July 12, 2013, 06:16 AM
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Thanks for the best wishes, guys. Though now I'm not sure if I'm officially on submission. Agent said she'd send a copy of the email when she sent it out and she hasn't yet, so . . .  :shrug:

Scrivener is awesome! It's really helped me get more organized. I can see how actual physical cards could help, too.

Onward....
#127 - July 12, 2013, 06:40 AM
2017:
Sibling Split series (Stone Arch)
Gender Wage Gap (Abdo)
Smooth Road Trip (Capstone)
www.mghiggins.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
No work today. Just too hot.
So went into town and John realised he left the sitting room window open and Spock in there. Panic station set in but we couldn't return for at least two hours. Spock's not been outside yet because he hasn't had his jabs and we didn't want to risk things.
Thankfully, he was there when we arrived home again but don't want to risk things. I'm in my room whilst John has his lunch and attempted to open the window, but Spock is a little curious so I have closed it.
Cue melting Fiona. And Spock. He's collapsed here beside me.
Maybe I should buy him a lead. I saw a guy walk his cat twice one.
Talk to you after the weekend when it might have cooled.
#128 - July 12, 2013, 07:58 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Maybe I should buy him a lead. I saw a guy walk his cat twice one.

Thundering, my mother had two Abyssinians and took them for walks everyday, but the lead was different from a dog's. It was very lightweight, woven cotton and about 20 feet long. She walked along as the cats investigated whatever they wanted. They just couldn't get more than 20 feet away from her. Sometimes the cats lay in the sun and napped. They all had a good time.
#129 - July 12, 2013, 09:18 AM
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 06:52 PM by Pons »

Another passenger on the "Scrivener is AWESOME!" train over here. :)
#130 - July 12, 2013, 10:23 AM

:alone

Where is everybody?? I hope the reason for your absence is you're getting a lot of work done. :)

I got my edits on Saturday! Woohoo! And the fantastic news is there are no big picture, story, or characterization edits at all. Zero. Nada. The major thing is taking out all brand names and references to other artist's work (movies, classic books, etc.) unless they're in the public domain. As it's YA, I had lots of things like iPod and Google and other mentions of things like movie posters or the Addams Family, Sherlock, etc.  All no-no's.  :uhuh  Otherwise, it's just a few small clarifications, word changes, and taking out a lot of hyphens because the editor doesn't like compound adjectives.

I'm already almost halfway through the edits! :pickle
#131 - July 16, 2013, 12:12 AM

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Wow, Laura, that's awesome!  :dancer  You must have been so relieved.
#132 - July 16, 2013, 08:02 AM
2017:
Gender Wage Gap (Abdo)
www.mghiggins.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
As it's YA, I had lots of things like iPod and Google and other mentions of things like movie posters or the Addams Family, Sherlock, etc.  All no-no's.  :uhuh

At one point my MC says a certain desk looks like something out of Little House on the Prairie. Is that a non-no? It's the only name reference in the whole book.

BTW, congratulations on your minimal edits. Sounds great!
#133 - July 16, 2013, 08:04 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
It sounds like you are really in the thick of it, Laura. Soldier on.
Sadly, since human and alien (can't call Spock a beastie, there was only one of them, r.i.p Moggy) are lurking in the flat and the coffee shop so any hope of work is futile.
However, a quick flick through a file I stumbled on my Monster Academy work and began to read it. I've not glanced at since 2009 and now I'm kind of feeling gloomy. That story is probably nothing like the pending Monster University prequel, but I'm terrified it is.
Even if I ever did want to get it published, there's probably little hope of it now.
I might just take a read anyway and return to proper revision tomorrow.

Sorry about this, I'm just hot and bothered. :ranting: :bangcomputer
#134 - July 16, 2013, 08:11 AM

That's awesome about your edits, Laura!! :hairdude Just curious, are you replacing all your brand name mentions with generics or taking them out altogether?

I got some revising done over the weekend—I'm super happy to report that my first two chapters are (for now at least) DONE and SOLID. Now I just have to figure out what the heck I'm doing in Chapter 3. Completely new beginning are rough!

Chin up, thundering! Sorry you're feeling gloomy. But don't give up!!!  :cheerleader

Okay, lunch time!! And then some more revising. Eventually. :grin3
#135 - July 16, 2013, 12:10 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Today, I'm happy. I was having a ridiculous amount of trouble making a subplot work in my revision. I had cut it way back from the previous draft, and was considering dropping the entire thing. But last night, I figured out how to make it work. I love those moments and hope you are all having them too.
#136 - July 16, 2013, 12:21 PM

Just popping in to see how everyone's doing. I'm on a revision break while I  :waiting .

Yay! Laura. It doesn't sound like your last round is going to be too bad at all!

Joanna, awesome about your first chapters. They are my least favorite part of revision and drafting.

Go, Jude.  :jump:

#137 - July 16, 2013, 12:42 PM
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

ameyers

Jude

Those are the moments I live for!!!

Ann Marie

#138 - July 16, 2013, 05:56 PM

At one point my MC says a certain desk looks like something out of Little House on the Prairie. Is that a non-no? It's the only name reference in the whole book.

Laurel - Big 5 and other large pubbers will get permission and pay the fee. Since I'm with a little pubber, they won't pay so I have to take it out.  :scissors:

Thundering - Sorry about that, but losing stories to faster writers is part of the business... :shrug:

Joana - Thanks! Mostly I'm replacing them with generic words, like MP3 player instead of iPod. A few (like a reference to Sherlock) I just took out the whole line since it wasn't vital.  Congrats on your progress! Keep going! :lol4

Jude - Yay for brain storms!  :shootingstar

Pat - I've finished 19 out of 24, so it's going quickly. But there are places I disagreed with her and places I rewrote things, so there may be a tiny second round. I hope you don't have to wait too long.  :dancer
#139 - July 16, 2013, 10:43 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Laurel - Big 5 and other large pubbers will get permission and pay the fee. Since I'm with a little pubber, they won't pay so I have to take it out.  :scissors:

Thundering - Sorry about that, but losing stories to faster writers is part of the business... :shrug:

Joana - Thanks! Mostly I'm replacing them with generic words, like MP3 player instead of iPod. A few (like a reference to Sherlock) I just took out the whole line since it wasn't vital.  Congrats on your progress! Keep going! :lol4

I was hoping just saying a title would fall under Fair Use, but it sounds like it doesn't.

Thundering - I hate losing a story because someone beat me to it. I'm working on a story now that several people have described as high concept, and I'm not making any parts of it public until it is finished for fear that someone else will steal the idea. It makes me feel a little bit petty, but I don't think I'm the only one. I was at a small one-day writing event once and only two people would share their story ideas with the whole group.

About Sherlock - Aren't the Sherlock Holmes stories in the public domain, yet? This is very confusing to me. How can you do a full on movie or book that's a parody and just strip the original material, but not even mention a book title in a non parody?

In the revising area, I absolutely sailed through a chapter yesterday. Makes me wonder if the writing was better than I remember or if my internal editor went on vacation.  :)

Laurel
#140 - July 17, 2013, 07:42 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Laurel:

Next time your internal editor goes on vacay, can she take mine with her? Please?  :vacation
#141 - July 17, 2013, 11:12 AM

YAY Jude! sounds like you're chugging along like a loco. Whoot!  :rollercoaster

Interesting info re brand names, Laura_6. I'm intrigued. I read a lot of HOUSE OF SECRETS by Chris Columbus & Ned Vizzini and it's full of brand names - almost to the point that I wondered if companies had paid them to do it. I mention Hogwarts and Ron Weasley in my MS so I'm guessing I'll have to come up with some other fictional entities. Rats.

I've been trying to decide whether to invest in Scrivener or not. I tend to do what Pat and Laura do, or use my corkboard with index cards like you did, Jude. Is it easy to use? I hate learning new stuff unless it's simple to figure out (all my techno toys have put me off mastering new systems. It's a maze of convoluted info that's only great once you know how)  :eh2

Such good news re your revision, Laura_6   :clapping

The best of luck with subs, mghiggins, whenever they happen  :yeah

:love5: All the best EVERYONE!
#142 - July 17, 2013, 12:05 PM
http://pippa_bayliss.livejournal.com/
Facebook: Pippa Bayliss
Twitter @ PippaBayliss

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Thanks, Pippa. The four subs DID go out, thank goodness.

It's been a while since I started using Scrivener, but as I recall it was pretty intuitive and not all that hard to learn. I recently started a short WFH nonfiction project in Word and am kicking myself for not using Scrivener. I've got five separate Word files that I shift between (working document, notes, deleted text, bibliography, and resource ideas), but if I was using Scrivener all of that info would be in one easy-to-access place.

Does Scrivener still offer a free trial? If they do, it might be worth a try.
#143 - July 17, 2013, 12:29 PM
2017:
Gender Wage Gap (Abdo)
www.mghiggins.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Scrivener is fairly intuitive for what you need to get up and running. But it beats Word immediately. The rest you discover as you use it.
#144 - July 17, 2013, 02:14 PM

I was hoping just saying a title would fall under Fair Use, but it sounds like it doesn't.

About Sherlock - Aren't the Sherlock Holmes stories in the public domain, yet? This is very confusing to me. How can you do a full on movie or book that's a parody and just strip the original material, but not even mention a book title in a non parody?

Laurel - I used an inner thought where my mc compared something to Gone With the Wind and was told to take it out. Fair Use is only if you're using the the reference in: "Examples of fair use include commentary, search engines, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship." (from Wiki) It doesn't include novels.

Sherlock Holmes is a special case. Anything before 1923 is supposed to be public domain now, like Shelley's Frankenstein, but although many Holmes stories are pre-1923, the Doyle estate is refusing. Now there's a lawsuit against them. See the PW article here:
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/digital/copyright/article/56020-lawsuit-seeks-to-put-sherlock-holmes-in-the-public-domain.html

Pippa - You can use famous titles/names/brands if you pay for the rights. Big pubbers can afford to pay, little pubbers can't. I assume the Chris Columbus novel is pubbed by one of the Big 5. They have no problem paying.

I finished the edits and am sending it to my editor tomorrow.  :hurrah
#145 - July 17, 2013, 10:49 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
A lot of wise words here. Thanks guys. As it happens, I've totally read through that story and it's completely different to how I remember writing it. Maybe the cobwebs did something to it.
No work today, I have a lurking kitty dancing on my keyboard and my father is visiting tomorrow. Sadly not with my Gran. She's a fine woman for her age, but has a urinary infection.
Might have to come face to face with stepfather. Gonna match him to one of my characters, a perfect excuse for even more evil revision. :voodoo

Kitty very upset that John is gone out and wants access to the door. Pity I can't explain he's not here. Some escape plan later.
Talk to you guys Saturday! Most likely before.
#146 - July 18, 2013, 02:43 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Laura - thanks for the link about the Holmes suit. I'm glad someone is  standing up to the estate's intimidation.

One last thing - I thought copyrights expired after 70 years, not 90. There's a whole chapter in my book I'm going to have to adapt if the 40's are off limits.

How much do fees typically run? I know that question is way too broad, but does anyone have an idea?

Laurel
#147 - July 18, 2013, 12:30 PM

Pippa - You can use famous titles/names/brands if you pay for the rights. Big pubbers can afford to pay, little pubbers can't. I assume the Chris Columbus novel is pubbed by one of the Big 5. They have no problem paying.

I finished the edits and am sending it to my editor tomorrow.  :hurrah

Skookum Laura! Yay, this is GREAT news!  :fireworks

Hmm, interesting info about rights. I know Balzer and Bray have put a $ six figure marketing plan behind THE HOUSE OF SECRETS, expecting it to make huge returns. I think 10 yr old boys will love it so I hope they do. But, yeah, they obv have the $ to cover it. Geesh, it'd be nice if someone wanted to use some of my material one day and paid rights, lol. I'm curious, like Laurel, about how much these cost.

:thankyou Thanks so much for the info on Scrivener. I'm going to look into it. Thanks Jude & mghiggins.

Good news re your CP inspiring new ideas for your beginning, Pat. All the best with your mad kitty and your step father, Fi (I always read your posts with a lyrical Irish accent. You sound delightful!)

Thanks again  :ty

#148 - July 18, 2013, 02:41 PM
Twitter @ PippaBayliss

Interesting about the brand names, Laura! Glad you're able to make the changes without too much trouble. That's weird about Sherlock Holmes! Congrats on finishing your edits! :yay

Scrivener rocks my socks off. It's one of those programs that you can use however it works best for you. Fairly intuitive to get started, and there's also tutorial videos to watch if you want. I've been using it for years now, and there's still features I've never explored. I just love how you can have EVERYTHING all in one file, no switching back and forth between Word documents. Hope you like it, Pippa!

As for ye olde revision project, I've been avoiding it all day…… :juggle
#149 - July 18, 2013, 03:58 PM

As for ye olde revision project, I've been avoiding it all day…… :juggle

Me too! I'm going to get me that Scrivener software, yessiree (sorry, I've had Tow Mater in my brain all day)
#150 - July 18, 2013, 05:05 PM
Twitter @ PippaBayliss

Members: