SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Revisionland

Discussion started on

Lauren - Everything written before 1923 is public domain. Everything written between '23-'67 you have to look up to see if the author renewed the copyright--some did and some didn't and some were renewed automatically. Apparently the laws changed as the years went on, so it's a mixed bag.

Lauren & Pippa - I have no idea how to find info about fees. Is there an "Ask the Agent" forum on here? (I know there's one on Absolute Write.)

Pat - Welcome back and congrats on the inspiration!  :shootingstar Good luck on subs. :clover

Joanna - Thanks! I'm glad you found Scrivener works so well for you. Good luck on getting back on the revision horse! :horse:

After finishing the edits (1st round anyway), I was stumped on the blurb for the back of the book (the virtual book. lol). I was struggling because everything I thought of sounded like the query and wasn't right fora jacket-blurb (which needs to be more generic and "hard sell").  Luckily, one of my CPs came up with something awesome! CPs ARE THE BEST INVENTION EVER!!  :love5:
#151 - July 19, 2013, 12:20 AM
Soul Cutter ~ YA Horror/Romance (MuseItUp Publishing Dec 2013)
Blog: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
CPs ARE THE BEST INVENTION EVER!!  :love5:

:werd
#152 - July 19, 2013, 07:57 AM
2017:
Sibling Split series (Stone Arch)
Gender Wage Gap (Abdo)
Smooth Road Trip (Capstone)
www.mghiggins.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Thanks, Laura, for the public domain info.

This week life has intruded on my writing big time. Not much done at all.

Laurel
#153 - July 20, 2013, 08:28 AM

Re: Scrivener-- If you do the free trial in November and successfully participate in NaNoWriMo (which means writing 50,000 words) you can purchase Scrivener for half off.

Clearly, I need to do more research on the issue of using copyrighted characters, etc. One of my WIPs mentions Nancy Drew several times (the computer games, the character, and the books). I'm guessing this, too, is a no-no.

Off to buy t'ai chi shoes. After that, my plan is to finish this revision pass for the last few chapters of my novel. Going to see The Conjuring tonight... it sounds  SCARY!   :hiding
#154 - July 20, 2013, 10:22 AM

MGH -  Yay CPs! :grin3 (I've always wanted to use the "werd" emoticon!)

Laurel - I'm the opposite. I got a lot done writing-wise, but neglected a lot of other stuff -- no housework or reviews for CPs.  :embarrassed2  Don't worry, Laurel, there's always next week!  :chickendance

Ruth - The Scrivener deal sounds good. I really hope "The Conjuring" is good. There have been too many bad horror movies out in the last few years and it's kinda depressing. Let me know if you liked it or not. :)
#155 - July 20, 2013, 10:00 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Can someone please give me some motivation tips? I just haven't got the energy to write and I really want to.
Maybe it's the heat. We Irish aren't used to it.
#156 - July 21, 2013, 08:13 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
This week life has intruded on my writing big time. Not much done at all.

Amazingly enough, I had unexpected time on Saturday and cleared two chapters. I hope to get three more done next week, before we leave town. That will put me half way through.

Thundering - I can't do anything when I'm hot. I feel like I can build Rome when it's cold, but the heat just saps my energy and creativity. Maybe it will cool off soon.

#157 - July 21, 2013, 08:46 AM

Guys, I live in Vermont. The land of mountains, cold lakes and windchills below zero. And last week we had a heat index of over 100 degrees. Thundering, you have a valid excuse.  I felt like dying--or at least sleeping until the heatwave passed.

Ruth, I want to know about The Conjuring, too!  :aah

I wrote two completely new first chapters. This changes my main character a lot, hopefully for the better. It also means my next revision is going to be a deep one.   :sun
#158 - July 21, 2013, 02:06 PM
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 02:10 PM by PatEsden »
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

I enjoyed The Conjuring! It's lightweight, kind of like cotton candy--lots of fun, but nothing earthshattering. It's set in the 70s and involves a family with five girls, plus the psychic researchers also have a young daughter. I could relate, since I was a preteen/young teen around that time. I was interested to learn about the psychic researchers, Ed and Lorraine Warren, the same ones who were later involved with Amityville Horror. Ed passed away a few years ago, but Lorraine consulted on the film. She is 86. When asked which was worse, this one or Amityville, she laughed and said Amityville was the worst EVER--that is the only house in their whole long career that she would never, never go back to. So this case, I guess, was fairly routine, LOL! If you like scary movies, I recommend it.

Now off to cook dinner, then back to revisions.
#159 - July 21, 2013, 05:01 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
I'm  still hot. But I can't decide whether that's from the heat of both my laptops. Spock is a hot little beast and the computer heats up rather a lot if it's on for a long time.
At the moment, it's difficult because Purrball has his motor running full blast.
On the positive side, I got a little written of a new project. On the other, Spock is now resting his entire body across my shoulders.

Oh, one thing, I got a new handbag, stillettoes, a ring and perfume. Unfortunately, it's a chocolate mold because I couldn't afford the real stuff.
Still, at least I can eat these!
#160 - July 23, 2013, 07:30 AM

Z-cat

Hi.
I have been very naughty.
Haven't written a thing. Or revised a thing.
But today I'm going to get to work! I promise!
#161 - July 23, 2013, 08:32 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Thundering - We had a cat once that loved to lie on my shoulders. I didn't mind it except when it was so hot in the summer. She was quite insistent about it. If I put her down, she'd climb right back up.

Chapter 8 was a breeze, but Chapter 9 is taking more work. It's just harder to get the tarnish off some chapters.
#162 - July 23, 2013, 08:54 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Some chapters are killers. I find the chapters leading up to the climax are the toughest -- bringing every plot line together so they make sense.
#163 - July 23, 2013, 12:23 PM

Speaking of maddening climaxes and chapters--

:banghead  I'm working on the first paragraph again, again... and so another round of revision begins.  :voodoo

#164 - July 23, 2013, 01:20 PM
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Ravyn2002

Pat - That can be frustrating revising that first chapter over and over! My revising today -- a two year old query letter. Ick. I always find that part to be the most tedious, especially when I don't feel like I've injected enough of my passion into it. I think I'm getting close though.
#165 - July 23, 2013, 03:07 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
:banghead  I'm working on the first paragraph again, again...

The first line, paragraph, page, chapter. They all have so much work to do. At conferences, I have had my first page critiqued by four in-the-biz professionals. Three of them loved the first paragraph. One of them panned it. Guess which one I obsessed over. I finally decided three-to-one was good enough for me, so I kept it and moved on. I happen to like it, too, but after you've read it 1500 times, you lose perspective.

Good luck.

Laurel
#166 - July 23, 2013, 04:42 PM

Thundering - What great presents to yourself. You must be smiling. :)

Lindsey - Get goin', girl! You can do it! :cheerleader
Laurel - Funny about your cat! Yay for Ch 8 progress!  :flowers It's weird about agents, isn't it? Three can love something and one hates it. Good for you for not obsessing.

Jude - I'm the opposite. I find the beginning chapters hard because you have to seed the whole thing with backstory, motivation and stakes. Once that's out of the way, it's clear sailing for me. Good luckc on your ending chapters!  :goodluck

Pat - The first chapter revisions are the WORST! Just keep hammering away on that darn paragraph/chapter until it's right! :!  And I hope the Inspiration Fairy gets you soon! :fairywand:

Sunflower - Good luck on the query letter.  :goodluck
#167 - July 24, 2013, 01:01 AM
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:03 AM by Laura_6 »

Finished... my ... rewrite! Lots more work to do, still, but at least all the words are there, finally :faint. *staggers across room and collapses*
#168 - July 24, 2013, 05:18 PM

Yay for finishing the rewrite, Ruth!  :fireworks Now you deserve to take a day off!  :vacation

I started a new WIP today. Only 200 words written, but that's better than nothing. :snail
#169 - July 24, 2013, 11:56 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Laura: the "gifts" to myself are nice, but I do find it peculiar that there are three stilettoes in the mold. I thought most ladies would only have two feet.
I left the boys to visit my mother and wicked stepdad yesterday. He is the basis of so many evil characters of mine, maybe I should acknowledge him in any book I could get published.
Still plodding away at my new story, but Spock keeps distracting me as he trots about on his fly-catching adventures. He's attacking John right now so I am happy.
Back to work on Sunday. I'm taking a break for a few days. It's too hot to concentrate.

Ruth: congrats! I agree with Laura, you should just put the feet up and lounge.
#170 - July 25, 2013, 02:41 AM
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 02:50 AM by thunderingelephants »

:fireworks Ruth! That's fantastic!  :fireworks :star2 

Laura and Thundering, have fun with the new projects! I'm trying  to stick to my WIP and not to think about the one I have brewing.

I've sent the new first chapters (including the demonic paragraphs) off to CPs. Wish me luck!
#171 - July 25, 2013, 04:19 AM

Z-cat

Yay Ruth!!  :goldstar  A finished draft!!!

I'm so far from being there right now :duh
Spent yesterday tinkering with the first two chapters. Not much progress, but I realized I for sure need to rewrite chapter two from scratch.

#172 - July 25, 2013, 07:04 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Congratulations, Ruth! What a wonderful feeling. :shootingstar
#173 - July 25, 2013, 09:01 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
 :yay Ruth!  :cheerleader

I took a few days away from my YA to revise a PB I wrote a while back. I was stunned at how many changes I made to what I thought was "finished." So now I think it's "finished" again. If anything is ever finished!

I do think, though, it is submission ready!

#174 - July 25, 2013, 10:46 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I was stunned at how many changes I made to what I thought was "finished."

I've had the same experience. Makes me wonder about my judgement sometimes.
#175 - July 25, 2013, 01:28 PM

Thanks, guys!

Laura, have fun with the new project!

Thundering - 3 feet? weird. Enjoy your break.  :vacation

Jude & Pons, same here. Nothing is ever really finished....

Pat, hope you get good CP feedback.

Lindsey, it might seem like no progress, but tinkering is part of the whole figuring-things-out process. At least, it is for me. I won't ever win any speed contests.
#176 - July 25, 2013, 01:54 PM

Thundering - Three feet is perfect -- for monsters!!  :cookiemonster
Pat - Good luck with the chapters going out to the CPs!  :goodluck

Lindsey - Don't get discouraged. It's awesome that you know what you want to change and aren't confused. :ha Good luck on getting the 2nd chapter rewritten!

Jude & Laurel - Yup, the ugly truth for writers is we NEVER feel something is really finished.  :shrug:

Ruth - :thanx:

:grin I've had the most amazing idea for the end of my WIP -- actually, a subsequent conflict and resolution after the ending I'd thought of. But as with most "oh, bright, shiny!" ideas, my muse may just be pulling my leg and tomorrow I'll realize it's an awful idea... Does your muse trick you like that sometimes?
#177 - July 27, 2013, 12:28 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
My muse not only tricks me with an idea, she makes me write it!
#178 - July 27, 2013, 06:03 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Even if the beginning changes a little later, it's solid enough for me to move on to-[/quote}

I feel like this, too. I have to have a solid, not perfect, but solid beginning in place. It's the foundation for the rest of the book. I know others may not worry about it, but that doesn't work for me.
#179 - July 27, 2013, 08:08 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I do not know what happened with the previous post. Everything wound up inside the quote. When I tried to fix it, everything wound up outside the quote. Now it's back inside.

This does not bode well for the rest of the day.  :lol4
#180 - July 27, 2013, 08:10 AM
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 09:20 AM by Pons »

Members: