SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Revisionland

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
No work done, but I did meet up with a casual crit partner and offered him (I stress him) a gift of three handbags, three pairs of shoes and two rings. All decorated in delicious edible pearls. I'm not sure what he thought, but since they were all materials, I think he'll forgive and not let it effect our partnership.
Been making a lot of shoes lately, so I'm taking a break tomorrow and re-acquainting myself with my characters.

Thundering - Three feet is perfect -- for monsters!!  :cookiemonster
Pat - Good luck with the chapters going out to the CPs!  :goodluck

Lindsey - Don't get discouraged. It's awesome that you know what you want to change and aren't confused. :ha Good luck on getting the 2nd chapter rewritten!

Jude & Laurel - Yup, the ugly truth for writers is we NEVER feel something is really finished.  :shrug:
Laura: just two things, isn't that what Revisionland is for? And, it's why I hate "The End", 'cos it never truly is.

#181 - July 27, 2013, 01:45 PM

Jude - My muse doesn't make me write things because I'm very stubborn (cough) lazy (cough). I really need to believe in the idea before I give it the old college try. :chickendance

Pat - That's great news on your beginning! Maybe you should change the real high school to a fictitious one. Good luck on the rest of the chapters.  :clover

Thundering - Sometimes you have to write "The End" and mean it, so you can concentrate on new projects. Have a nice time meeting with your characters! :)
#182 - July 27, 2013, 10:27 PM
Soul Cutter ~ YA Horror/Romance (MuseItUp Publishing Dec 2013)
Blog: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Sailed through Chapter 10, but hit the brakes on Chapter 11. It's a short, but pivotal chapter and needs a lot of work.

I won't be around much for the next week or so. We're going on vacation and I never get much computer time when we're gone.

Happy revising to you all.

Laurel
#183 - July 28, 2013, 09:23 AM

Laurel - Good luck on Ch 11 and have a fantastic vacation!!  :vacation

I'm revising Ch 1. It's bad. Really bad. But it'll get better ... won't it .... please?  :drowning:
#184 - July 29, 2013, 05:24 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Laurel - Good luck on Ch 11 and have a fantastic vacation!!  :vacation

I'm revising Ch 1. It's bad. Really bad. But it'll get better ... won't it .... please?  :drowning:
Laura: If I didn't cling on to that slim hope, I wouldn't continue to write.  Mind you, that's another reason I've not submitted in years.
However, John's managed to finally get his own laptop, which might give me time on my own...if Spock takes the hint. At the minute, that's not likely. He's basking in the heat from the laptop.

In the coffee shop, I met with an acquaintance who asked if he could read my wip and I can't think why I handed the first page. His silence freaked me when he handed it back.
Sometimes silence is not golden.
Another reason to write elsewhere. I'll be doing that tomorrow.
#185 - July 29, 2013, 06:58 AM
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 01:09 PM by thunderingelephants »

Belated CONGRATS to Ruth!! You go!!!!

I'm slowly plugging away on my revision. Emphasis on SLOWLY. :-P
#186 - July 29, 2013, 05:19 PM

Thundering - Thanks for the sympathy. We all need to cling onto hope. :yup I'm sorry for the Silent Acquaintance. That guy need a good, swift kick - or a poke!  :voodoo

Pat - Congrats on the just-about-perfect beginning and making it to pg 40! But  :yuk: I hate character arc changes. Good luck on the rest of it.  :crossedfingers

Joanna - Slow plugging away is still plugging away!  :shootingstar
#187 - July 29, 2013, 10:01 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Thundering - Thanks for the sympathy. We all need to cling onto hope. :yup I'm sorry for the Silent Acquaintance. That guy need a good, swift kick - or a poke!  :voodoo

Laura: He's only an acquaintance, I didn't take much notice. I was simply irked when I typed my last post. I think I'll leave the "poking" to those who do it on Facebook.

By the way: that "comet" icon reminds me, how many of you can name Santa's six reindeer? Apparently Rudolph wasn't the name of one of them.

The lads are around, so I've been messing around with my handbags and high heels all afternoon. Got some great thoughts in my head and fluctuated between being caked in chocolate and writing my characters' most precious thoughts.
I'm not sure she would be too happy with the state of the paper her thoughts are documented on.
I WILL WORK BY THE END OF THE WEEK. And not with chocolate.
#188 - July 30, 2013, 01:12 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region michigan
I just revised the first 8 chapters of my MG Fantasy, now I just need to hammer out the rest of the chapters I've drafted and figure out how to end this story in a satisfying way. So many words to write and revise and so little time left to the summer.
#189 - July 30, 2013, 01:57 PM

Thundering - I can name all the reindeer! (I memorized the song--and there are eight reindeer w/o Rudolf.)

Joseph - Welcome! It's great that you've gotten 8 chapters done! I'm sure by the time you get to the end, you'll know how to finish it. And the end of the summer might be coming, but there's always fall and winter and no Revision Deadline Police to stop you from revising then.  :lol5

I'm still revising Ch 1, but I'm going on to Ch 2 and come back later. We all know those Ch 1's get rewritten a hundred times anyway! And we STILL never feel they're good enough!  :snork:
#190 - July 30, 2013, 11:50 PM

Pat - Yay for KNOWING what changes you need to make to Ch 1 & 2, and congrats for having such great input from your CPs and agent! :dancer

I got hung up on Ch 2 when I realized I didn't like the way a very important creature was described. It was too average, pedestrian. It's not original enough. And it will appear in about the first 7 chapters. So I paused while I re-visualize and try to come up with something innovative. I'm thinking up a storm, but no awesome ideas have appeared yet... :shrug:
#191 - August 02, 2013, 11:21 PM

Thanks, Laura, Joanna, and all. I just sent my ms off to betas for fresh eyes... I hope they like it!

Laura, hope you've re-envisioned the creature to your liking.

Laurel, have a great vacation!

Pat, glad you got some helpful feedback.

Thundering, how awkward! He should have said something... anything! Probably he was so stunned by your amazing writing, he was momentarily speechless.

Joseph, keep plugging! I hear you about summer being almost over.

I start back to work for teacher orientation on Tuesday. Not ready.  :P
My 21-y.o. son is going to CA on Monday... he has an interview at Google and another company in Silicon Valley. Please cross your fingers for him!  :crossedfingers
#192 - August 03, 2013, 05:57 PM

Ruth - I'm thrilled for your son's interviews! Wishing him great luck!  :clover :crossedfingers :goodluck :clover :crossedfingers :goodluck
Pat - Thanks for the suggestion! Good luck on that new new new new first sentence.  :lol4

Hubby left to visit his family in Cairo for a few days.  Is it terrible that I'm really happy for a vacation from cooking & cleaning?  Chapter 2, here I come!!!  :pickle
#193 - August 04, 2013, 02:00 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Laura: shame on you! Washing and cooking at the weekend is a no-no. Leave them stack up until tomorrow at the earliest.  Or do what I do and insist someone else does them. You work hard enough.
Speaking of work, it is not achievable at the moment. It is a bank holiday, John is lurking around and I have a ten-month-old motor mouth sprawled across my chest. John says he can hear Spock from the sitting room.
On the plus-side: I've written another profile of my character and like him. Yet another person I would like to meet, if only to see what he gets up to.

Bank holiday here. I'm off to enjoy it...this weekend has been far too quiet, almost. Spock's just returned with his ball. I wonder what that could mean.
Talk to you during the week.
#194 - August 04, 2013, 04:56 AM

Thundering - Since my hubby will be away 4 days, I'll get more than the weekend of not doing chores! :yeah  I hope you have a lovely holiday! :)
#195 - August 05, 2013, 12:00 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
I've been away from the boards for awhile (and less active with writing in general because of craziness at work and then a nice long vacation,) but I sat down today and got four and a half chapters revised! Wahoo!!!!
#196 - August 05, 2013, 07:45 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region michigan
Thanks Laura and Ruth ;)
#197 - August 05, 2013, 08:27 PM

MirrorsandMagicFrogs - Welcome back! That's awesome progress!  :gogirl
#198 - August 06, 2013, 02:40 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
I think I'm down to five chapters to revise and five new ones to write. Whew!

Now if only I wasn't painting my in-laws' house I'd be done by next week. Can I do both? I hope so. Wait - yes, I can. I'm always first up -- no work on the house until everyone else gets up. That will be my writing time.
#199 - August 06, 2013, 03:59 PM

Welcome back to the trench, M&MFrogs.

And here's hoping you make your deadline, Joseph.

Go! Jude. I work mostly at night, but once in a while I can steal a few early morning moments. 

I'm feeling good about the bones of my first chapter, the setting, tone, emotion, action...Now, I'm crafting every word and being super hard on myself.  Luckily it's a mega-shorty chapter. Last night, I loved my first paragraph.  Today, I decided I needed to bring the pov in closer. :lol4  But I'm getting there. 
#200 - August 07, 2013, 06:29 AM
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 06:32 AM by PatEsden »
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Pat - I'm with you on needing to nail that first chapter. I think I've revised and edited my first chapter at least 100 times - no exaggeration. Yet the bones of it and the opening line have pretty much remained the same. Some of the revisions have been a tweak here and there. Some sections added. Some deleted. And when I finish this revision, I'm sure I will tweak again.
#201 - August 07, 2013, 08:31 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Hello everyone,

I'm back from vacation, but I brought a daughter-in-law and four grandchildren with me. I don't foresee much revising until next week. (grin)
#202 - August 07, 2013, 11:30 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
I'm not sure if this is something to celebrate, but Mog was given this day as his unofficial birthday when we decided to keep him and this is the first birthday without him. He's probably looking down on Spock thinking: you should be playing with chillies!
Myself and John have shared the same dwelling for seventeen years today too. That's longer than most of friends' marriages and I am so relieved we didn't do that route! He wouldn't be here :duel
I will be male-free (and sadly mail-free) this afternoon so myself and my pen will reacquaint ourselves and and get the characters in my head onto paper.
Mirrors: did those magic frogs meet the mirrors? I'd like to have seen their reaction. Four and a half chapters is fantastic. Well done.

Oh, before I go, our SCBWI chapter is having a talk by Jane Mitchell at the end of the month. She's an Irish author and the SCBWI Ireland moderator. Really looking forward to it. I haven't seen her for five years. Our little chapter seems to be growing longer. Thankfully no revisions required for this one!
Talk to you guys tomorrow, probably.
#203 - August 10, 2013, 06:12 AM

Thundering,  I hope all celebrations were fun. Lots of reasons to party!  :fireworks

Remember my first paragraph from down under where it's hot--also known as the double hockey stick place? Well, I tossed it and started again  :voodoo But, thanks to some heavy brainstorming with my agent and six hours of work on 5 pages, I now have a rough first chapter that does everything it needs to  :crossedfingers

Now I need to work on an updated outline for the first 50 pages. There's a sticking point in chapter 2 that needs some thinking.  :bananadance :broccoli :carrot

Luckily, after about page 40 this puppy is a lot less troubled.

#204 - August 12, 2013, 04:50 AM
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:54 AM by PatEsden »
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Ravyn2002

Sounds like everyone is doing a great job plugging away at their revisions.  Pat - congrats on the working first chapter! That's got to be a wonderful feeling!

Me -- I could use a break, or a nudge, not sure which.

Somehow three of my picture book manuscripts ended up in a super deep revision state at the same time. One of them is even going to require (shuddering at the thought) -- research. 

I think a few days off filled with PB reading and the beach may be required before I can get back on track...
#205 - August 16, 2013, 11:12 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I've finally started revising again and see new things that need to be changed. Mostly tightening things up, but will I ever feel satisfied? Each time I put the ms down and then pick it back up, it has lost its shininess.
#206 - August 16, 2013, 11:02 PM

I just wanted to pop by and assure everyone that my absence is due to work and not any problems in Egypt. I live on the Red Sea, so I'm far from the troubled areas (which are being blown all out of proportion by the media anyway -- lurid headlines sell). Although I'm still waiting for a line editor and a cover artist for the book I have coming out in Dec, I'm 10k into my new WIP! Yay!  :carrot

I'm wishing all Revisionlanders good luck. Keep revising!! :cheerleader
#207 - August 17, 2013, 10:23 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks for checking in, Laura, and I'm glad you are safe.

I'm just checking in too because I'm not currently revising, but rather first drafting, and it's slow, but I'm plugging along. I hope to be a true revisionlander again in a few months.

Pat, way to rock that first chapter!  :goodluck
#208 - August 19, 2013, 09:30 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I'm TEN pages away from FINALLy getting all my hard copy edit changes into the computer. It's taken me forever, so seeing the end in sight is so great! I'm going to go eat chicken fingers in celebration.  :lol4

And hooray for first drafts, jodyjl!

Glad you're a-ok, Laura!
#209 - August 19, 2013, 11:13 AM

Thanks Jody and Leandra! :)  Good luck with the first drafting, Jody. That's what I'm doing too, so I'll meet you back here in a few months! Leandra - Congrats and go get your chicken finger reward! lol

#210 - August 19, 2013, 09:41 PM

Members: